Notices
Scion tC 2G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

License Plate Relocation 2012 tC

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2018, 09:21 PM
SL Member

Question License Plate Relocation 2012 tC

About two weeks ago I bought a 2012 tC and LOVE it. I'm trying to figure out the best way to mount my front license plate, and I like the tow hook mod. I'm planning on going to a home improvement store to find something the same size as the tow hook to drill into and mount a bracket, and I would like some advice and/or help with this project. I saw the sticky thread about the relocation (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sci...1-50-a-199704/) but all the photos are missing and those are pretty important. And, I don't want to relocate my license plate to the grill.
My idea is just to find the right size bolt for the tow hook, drill some size hole (5/16? idk haha) into the end, have a bolt for that hole, and purchase a cheap license frame to mount.

Thoughts/ideas?
Old 08-05-2018, 02:37 AM
Administrator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Administrator

Originally Posted by glidergal
About two weeks ago I bought a 2012 tC and LOVE it. I'm trying to figure out the best way to mount my front license plate, and I like the tow hook mod. I'm planning on going to a home improvement store to find something the same size as the tow hook to drill into and mount a bracket, and I would like some advice and/or help with this project. I saw the sticky thread about the relocation (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sci...1-50-a-199704/) but all the photos are missing and those are pretty important. And, I don't want to relocate my license plate to the grill.
My idea is just to find the right size bolt for the tow hook, drill some size hole (5/16? idk haha) into the end, have a bolt for that hole, and purchase a cheap license frame to mount. Thoughts/ideas?
No need to Re-Invent the Wheel. Commercial License Plate Re-locators have been out for years. For my money it is not worth it to D-I-Y, IMHO. Save your pennies and get a Heavy Duty sturdy unit that is made for that purpose and is built to last.
My CravenSpeed Tow Hook License Plate Mount is well worth the cost. It can be Mounted on either side of our tCs because we have 2 Tow Mount Holes:

MR LUV's LUV MOBILE Mod Thread 2015 tC2.5 RS9 -page 4

Their Link is on my Thread.

Tell CravenSpeed, MR_LUV sent you

Old 08-05-2018, 01:40 PM
SL Member

It's not worth 93 dollars to me, I'd rather DIY this myself and save 90 dollars. Thanks though, your car is INCREDIBLE.
Old 08-06-2018, 03:53 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by glidergal
It's not worth 93 dollars to me, I'd rather DIY this myself and save 90 dollars. Thanks though, your car is INCREDIBLE.
We wouldn't be where we are if we weren't DIYers ourselves. Our mount may not be right for you, but I am happy to help you in any way I can! I can tell you that the thread size of your tow hook is M20 x 2.0.
I think that thread size will probably be tough to find, especially in a length that works. Our's ends up being about 117mm in length. Even the one stud we make in that thread size requires a spacer on the tC.
If you aren't able to find something that works, let me know and I can hook you up with at least a used stud and spacer, then you can make the frame.
You can email me directly: logan@cravenspeed.com

____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 12-06-2019 at 08:55 PM. Reason: typo