Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion tC 2G Aero & Exterior (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-tc-2g-aero-exterior-1825/)
-   -   Rear Spoiler Installation (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-tc-2g-aero-exterior-1825/rear-spoiler-installation-212680/)

tc_Jake 03-12-2012 01:51 PM

Rear Spoiler Installation

Hi All!
Been lurking for a while and finally bought a tC! I have a rear spoiler and lower body graphic on order and will arrive soon. I'm doing the installation myself and was wondering if anyone out there did the install themselves?

Is it an easy install? any special tools needed? How long will it take? etc...

Thanks in advance for the input!

biglilsteve 03-12-2012 02:35 PM

Hey man did you check this out?

http://www.trdsparks.com/install/PT29A-21110-XXinst.pdf

Did you order the modified spoiler strut and the spoiler installation kit?

Here are directions for the lower body graphic:

http://www.trdsparks.com/install/PT747-21111inst.pdf

The dealer installed both my spoiler and my lower body graphic so sorry I don't have any further insight to share regarding that.

dpanda88 03-12-2012 03:10 PM

When I installed my rear spoiler I had to drill 6 holes.. and sometimes they don't even match up with the holes when you try to screw it on...... it's a lot of work.. and the holes will be bigger then expected.

Make sure to buy a touch up pen to prevent the rust from drilling.

devanb3 03-12-2012 03:51 PM

depending on where you ordered them you should receive instructions and if you got it from the stealership you can ask them to print them off or use the link above

iv known a couple of people who used 3m double sided tape the strongest outdoor kind 3m makes and just tape it down if you really dont want to drill the holes

also please do as Eddie stated above and use a touchup pin or some sort of rust preventer in the holes so you dont have problems later i would go the extra step and apply some sort of gasket or alittle sealent around the hole to prevent water from leaking into the car once you get it installed

ProjectTC2 03-12-2012 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by devanb3 (Post 3986804)
iv known a couple of people who used 3m double sided tape the strongest outdoor kind 3m makes and just tape it down if you really dont want to drill the holes

^^^ this guy did that 5 months ago and it's still holding 100% strong. Go buy a 15ft roll of 3M Outdoors Double Sided Tape from Home Depot or Lowes or wherever ($10) and cover the bottom of the spoiler in it. Then just line it up and place it on the trunk. Once that stuff sticks it's EXTREMELY difficult to pull it off. I lined it up wrong once and I had to have one of my friends help me pull the spoiler off my car because I couldn't do it by myself haha it was stuck on so hard

tc_Jake 03-12-2012 05:13 PM

Thanks for the input fellas!

biglilSteve... thanks for the links, they are great! Definitely would need the installation kit ($50 yikes) and also that 3m Body sealant for the rear spoiler. The lower body graphic instruction seem straight forward.

devanb3 and ProjectTC2... I love the idea with the 3m tape! No taking the interior hatch apart, no drilling, no need for body sealant. Something to think about for sure! They are already using some sort of double sided tape on the spoiler already. Maybe if I dry fitted it first then used some masking tape to mark exactly where it would go, I think the 3m tape would work!

I have another car who's rear spoiler is just taped, but the spoiler is a lot smaller.

devanb3 03-13-2012 02:36 AM

^hope everything works out

Originally Posted by ProjectTC2 (Post 3986814)
I lined it up wrong once and I had to have one of my friends help me pull the spoiler off my car because I couldn't do it by myself haha it was stuck on so hard

alittle tip next time get a hair dryer or a heat gun and run along where the tape is for about 5 seconds per couple of inches and it will pull right off same thing for when removing emblems and so on it helps alot especially when you have something that can dent/pop as easily as the trunk

dpanda88 03-13-2012 03:02 PM

i did try using the 3M tape method but it only lasted me for 2 months.. and whats worst is you have to be very careful on closing the trunk...

You can't slam it or the tape will fail....especially when you have passengers closing your trunk.. you have to keep telling them to close it gently...

devanb3 03-13-2012 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by dpanda88 (Post 3987336)
i did try using the 3M tape method but it only lasted me for 2 months.. and whats worst is you have to be very careful on closing the trunk...

You can't slam it or the tape will fail....especially when you have passengers closing your trunk.. you have to keep telling them to close it gently...

what kind of 3m did you use and did you clean the trunk and spoiler before install?

tc_Jake 03-13-2012 06:39 PM

Thanks for all the feedback...

I decided that I'm going to 3m tape the spoiler first. I will check it often and can always drill if need be. I got the roll of Scotch (3m) Indoor/Outdoor Mounting Tape 1 inch x 37 feet for about $16 bucks at HD. Will clean all areas and apply plenty of this stuff.

Lower body graphic arrived today so that will be my project tomorrow. The rear spoiler is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow as well so maybe I can get both done. Will post pics when finished.

Some future project...
- Tint
- cf pillar obliques
- fog lights
- and maybe that neat DIY for the led strip lights above the head lights

devanb3 03-14-2012 01:30 AM

great i think the best thing to clean the area before applying the 3m is just rubbing alcohol clean it with soap and water and dry it then take rubbing alcohol and wipe it down let air dry for about 5 min and then tape it down this works when applying any kind of adhesive like vinyl sticker and so on

dpanda88 03-14-2012 02:36 AM

of course you need to clean the area first... i wouldn't install the spoiler with dirt on it lol..

but overall.. it just sucks that you know you cant slam the trunk or the 3M tape will get loose...

ProjectTC2 03-14-2012 02:42 AM

Idk what yall are talking about with the slamming the trunk thing, I've had mine on for 5 months and I slam my truck all the time and nothing ever happens. Maybe you just used some bad tape or taped it on when it was dirty.

If you clean the surface and use tons of 3M outdoors, then you will have no problem at all

tc_Jake 03-14-2012 01:08 PM

Hope the spoiler doesn't come too late today since I'm home from work, and that there are no scratches on it! But other that that I'm stoked, got 37 feet of 3m outdoor (lol) and will clean it good.

Thanks for the advice!

tc_Jake 03-15-2012 01:55 AM

Update... the lower body graphic went on great, just had to be patient. The rear spoiler came late in the day but arrived in perfect shape.

I'll probably install it this weekend. Quick question, the spoiler has the studs already in it. Do they just screw out?

Thanks again!

dpanda88 03-15-2012 08:28 PM

oh.. i think the weather was another factor to why mine came loose lol.. Canada had -15 weather with ice...

tc_Jake 03-17-2012 11:16 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here are some pics that I promised... rear spoiler went well. The bolt studs were in the mold of the spoiler and would not screw out. So I took a grinder to them and cut them off flush. At this point I sure was hoping that the 3m tape would work because there was no way I was going to bolt this after a tape failure!
I basically covered all spoiler attaching area with the 3m tape, cleaned all areas well with alcohol and premarked centering locations.

I have to admit, every time I tried to position the spoiler, it stuck like an MF'er!! After about 4 attempts and removal, I got it right and she is stuck good!! No flex, no loose fitting, she is stuck good and i have no problem shutting the trunk and for that matter don't need to replace the trunk "modified strut", everything seems to work fine.

Her are the pics with the lower body graphic, rear spoiler and painted exhaust header cover. Just wondering, am I missing any kind of engine cover? I see nipple ends on the head and was wondering if I'm missing a cover. Please let me know if my engine pic looks like yours. Thanks!

biglilsteve 03-17-2012 11:18 PM

There we go...looking nice! Holy wheel gap though man...is that next on your to-do list?

ProjectTC2 03-17-2012 11:52 PM

Lookin good man! Is the RS spoiler always black, or is it usually yellow? Either way good choice on the black!
No you're not missing an engine cover, new tC's done come with one for some unknown reason.

The new Camry covers fit them though if you want one, or Descendant makes a CF engine cover, it's a bit pricey though.

tc_Jake 03-18-2012 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by biglilsteve (Post 3989067)
There we go...looking nice! Holy wheel gap though man...is that next on your to-do list?

Thanks man, Holy wheel gap lol I know right... maybe, as soon as I recoup some funds!