Notices
Scion tC 2G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

2011, high rpms? Weird shifting

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 03:32 AM

Default 2011, high rpms? Weird shifting

I got my 2011 tc back in March (ish) and i bought it used certified, 70k miles on the clock.

I'm finding now a few months later it seems to be hesitant shifting sometimes, and it stays at a much higher rpm than it should.

It seems like sometimes the transmission doesn't want to shift for a few seconds.

I don't drive the car hard or anything, its just my commuter car that sometimes ill kick it up a little on the highway.

I'm not sure if im being paranoid or if there's something wrong with my car.

auto transmission, should've mentioned earlier.

i had a 2008 tc and i never had any problems like this before.
Old 09-30-2015, 08:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm assuming you aren't using S mode? And can you provide more details about the shift points it's choosing?

Generally, the 2011 auto prefers low shift points. It annoys me sometimes because I feel as though it is shifting too soon and I have to make it downshift again to keep the car accelerating. I'm sure it's programmed for efficiency by default, not performance.

The only time the car chooses high shift points is when you are going hard on it...accelerating hard as well as braking hard will cause the transmission to maintain higher RPMs until it realizes things have calmed down.

For reference, I have a 2011 auto with about 76k on it (purchased new October 2010).
Old 09-30-2015, 10:55 PM

I can't fully pinpoint it, but it seems specifically in the 2-4 gear range, and it seems to be fairly recent, as i didn't notice anything like that when i bought the car...

btw i'm on 76k miles too (high fives*)

im hitting 3k rpms sometimes close to 4k and i fairly loud revving noise while accelerating at a normal rate (not foot to the floor, just normal) and going downhills for a few seconds, then it seems to shift to normal.
Old 10-01-2015, 12:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Pkdust
I can't fully pinpoint it, but it seems specifically in the 2-4 gear range, and it seems to be fairly recent, as i didn't notice anything like that when i bought the car...

btw i'm on 76k miles too (high fives*)

im hitting 3k rpms sometimes close to 4k and i fairly loud revving noise while accelerating at a normal rate (not foot to the floor, just normal) and going downhills for a few seconds, then it seems to shift to normal.
The shifting behavior you are describing when going downhill is normal. The car does that to attempt to control your speed by using engine braking.

The car hitting 4k when accelerating normally is not normal. I usually have to be really getting into mine to hit 4. I do hit 3 sometimes with normal acceleration depending on how much I'm pressing the pedal, but its rare that I need to go above 3 on a typical commuting day. Hey, its certified so have the dealer take a look. You have nothing to lose but an hour or two of your day.

*high five* :-D
Old 10-01-2015, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by biglilsteve
The shifting behavior you are describing when going downhill is normal. The car does that to attempt to control your speed by using engine braking.

The car hitting 4k when accelerating normally is not normal. I usually have to be really getting into mine to hit 4. I do hit 3 sometimes with normal acceleration depending on how much I'm pressing the pedal, but its rare that I need to go above 3 on a typical commuting day. Hey, its certified so have the dealer take a look. You have nothing to lose but an hour or two of your day.

*high five* :-D
I made an appointment for saturday, might as well use up a couple of my cheapo oil changes, rotate the tires, and poke around a little bit while i'm bringing it in.
Old 10-01-2015, 11:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Symptons: Junk shift points.

Cause: Automatic Transmission.

Fix: Manual Transmission.
Old 10-02-2015, 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by criminaltc
Symptons: Junk shift points.

Cause: Automatic Transmission.

Fix: Manual Transmission.
Helpful. Really helpful. I made a conscious decision to buy an automatic. I'm a full time student and i have classes as early as 6 am, i also work in foodservice and i usually don't get out until at the very earliest 10 pm, sometimes as late as 1 pm.

It's extremely easier to drive an automatic early and late, being underslept.

I'm worried about the functionality of my transmission.

I have full ability to drive a stick, my winter beater car is a 2003 hyundai elantra and its a manual.

Maybe instead of being a pompus ***hole, actually try to help.
Old 10-02-2015, 02:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Pshhh
Old 10-03-2015, 05:28 PM

To anyone interested. 5 hours in a Toyota dealership and they're giving me a new transmission and a camry rental. Not bad.
Old 10-04-2015, 02:29 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Toyota takes care of us.
Old 10-04-2015, 02:16 PM

Yep!
Old 10-04-2015, 03:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

To anyone interested. 5 hours in a Toyota dealership and they're giving me a new transmission and a camry rental. Not bad.
Glad to hear it man! I have the 100k 6 year warranty, so hopefully if my tranny goes, it'll be before then lol.

Side note, I had a Camry V6 rental a couple months back and freaking loved it lol. That V6 has some grunt!
Old 10-07-2015, 01:08 AM

Glad to hear it man! I have the 100k 6 year warranty, so hopefully if my tranny goes, it'll be before then lol.

Side note, I had a Camry V6 rental a couple months back and freaking loved it lol. That V6 has some grunt!
i got swapped last minute with a 2015 jetta boooo

hopefully shouldn't be an issue for ya, aparently the previous owner beat on this car a bit, drove it like its stolen

Last edited by Pkdust; 10-07-2015 at 01:20 AM.
Old 10-08-2015, 04:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

There is a computer that controls the shift points, but if you are on an incline the engine is designed to hold a shift point till the car realizes you aren't trying to accelerate any longer. There could also be other issue, such as the automatic transmission filter, if the filter is clogged, the car can also hold a shift point longer than usual, as the pressure will be off, and the computer will think you are still accelerating.. I would start off cheap, have the filter and fluid changed.. See if that helps.. If not, you may need to take it to a transmission place to see if they can pin-point the issue..
Does it shift hard after it upshifts?
Old 10-08-2015, 05:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TheManinDboX
There is a computer that controls the shift points, but if you are on an incline the engine is designed to hold a shift point till the car realizes you aren't trying to accelerate any longer. There could also be other issue, such as the automatic transmission filter, if the filter is clogged, the car can also hold a shift point longer than usual, as the pressure will be off, and the computer will think you are still accelerating.. I would start off cheap, have the filter and fluid changed.. See if that helps.. If not, you may need to take it to a transmission place to see if they can pin-point the issue..
He's already getting a new tranny under warranty.
Old 10-08-2015, 05:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

He's already getting a new tranny under warranty.
That's cheaper than a filter! Score!
Old 10-08-2015, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by TheManinDboX
Yeah as he said toyotas giving me a new transmission, but the fliter and fluid are all inclosed in the car, theres no way to get in there without taking apart and rebuilding the transmission, i think that's why they'd rather give me a new one, easier and maybe even cheaper

2011+ scion tcs you can't even do more than a flush without taking it apart if im not mistaken
Old 10-20-2015, 04:27 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Helpful. Really helpful. I made a conscious decision to buy an automatic. I'm a full time student and i have classes as early as 6 am, i also work in foodservice and i usually don't get out until at the very earliest 10 pm, sometimes as late as 1 pm.

It's extremely easier to drive an automatic early and late, being underslept.
I'm the exact opposite. Autos are too boring for me and require little to no driver engagement, so I tend to fall asleep behind the wheel if i'm sleep deprived. A manny tranny keeps me engaged in the act of driving and keeps me awake.