Notices
Scion tC 2G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

2016 Traction Control FYI

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 03:14 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default 2016 Traction Control FYI

I've been looking on here for some info on the trac. control system in the newer tCs and haven't been able to find much, so I decided to mess with it in my car and share the results.

I have a 2016 tC 6MT, so yours might work differently if you have an older one or an auto.

- Pushing the traction control button turns off traction control (obviously)
-- This cannot be done with the car moving in gear, but can be done with the car moving and the shifter in the neutral position

- Holding the traction control button for ~3 seconds will turn off traction AND stability control
-- This cannot be done with the car in motion. The car must be stopped to turn off stability control. I haven't checked to see whether the position of the shifter matters in this case.

You have to be really trying to break traction, but turning off stability control removes most of the electronic driving aids which enables my favorite fwd activity to be done more successfully, the Scandinavian Flick.

Hopefully I'm not the only one that had this question and this helps answer it for somebody else.
Old 10-10-2015, 02:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I learned one thing from this post...what a Scandinavian Flick is lol. Very cool. Do you autox? Where do you get a chance to do that legally?

Anyway, yeah everything you described has been the case at least since the 2011 (what I have).
Old 10-11-2015, 04:19 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I haven't managed to find the time to make it out to an autox event yet and "legally" is sort of a gray area. It's technically not illegal if you maintain control of the vehicle and don't go into another lane of traffic ....
Country roads. I use empty country roads to fool around in my car lol

I found the page in the owners manual outlining the traction control system after I figured it out on the road. I'll upload a picture of it next time I'm on a computer.
Old 10-12-2015, 11:56 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Old 12-24-2015, 12:24 AM

Thank you for that, I had no idea I could turn off stability control as well, that makes me very happy