Notices
Scion tC 2G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Aftermarket Crank Pulley???

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 11:31 PM
5 Year Member

Default Aftermarket Crank Pulley???

◄◄
Click Here
to Add your Vehicle to Garage

What does Garage is empty, Add now mean?

I currently own a 2013 Scion tC with an injen cold air short ram intake, greddy catback exhaust and dzod racing headers (red edition) but I am still getting my ___ kicked by all the stock _______s cutting me off. Long story short, what I am looking for is more torque and power to where I can drop in 2nd or 3rd and be able to make a decent pull and block someone from cutting me off or beat those little civics running around with the giant fart cans. I mean, as my car stands right now I can beat them no problem but now its come down to having the power to make a decent pull to beat the stanced miatas and ford focus st's. Many of you may comment and say that a tC was never meant to compete with those kinds of cars but with the right launch I can normally beat them off the line but loose the battle in the long run. If I can get a little more hp and some more torque I can be one step closer to running with the st's and other cars and maybe have the power to block other stock _______s who speed up and cut me off.

With this being said, I am running out of options with mods. I don't plan on getting into forced induction or completely ripping me engine apart but just sticking to the simpler, easy mods that provide substantial performance increases. Can I get this from an aftermarket crank pulley????
Old 09-16-2017, 11:31 PM
SL Member

So there are a couple more things you could do. I have a similar set as you a little variation (cold air, axleback & midpipe, and green headers) but I also have a light weight crank pulley, S-Pipe, Unichip and just ordered a Jet Powr-Flo MAF Sensor) now your options are limited in the Crank Pulley and S-Pipe area.

CNT S-Pipe
https://www.cntracing.com/CNT-Racing...-p/hd-9704.htm

Racing Solution S-Pipe
Scion tC2 RS 2.5" S-Pipe (2011+)

Descendant use to make one but I haven't been able to find any in a while. I personally recommend the Racing Solution version but in the end they are close enough to the same thing. Both have the same diameter but I've heard quality issues about CNT. This is the final piece of the puzzle for exhaust, changing out your downpipe to an s-pipe well give you a full aftermarket exhaust setup.

Non Stop Tuning Crank Pulley
2011 - 2017 Scion tC II Crank Pulley NST07158 (Multiple Colors Available)

Agency Power Crank Pulley
https://www.agency-power.com/shop/li...lley-scion-tc/ (Silver)
https://www.agency-power.com/shop/li...lley-scion-tc/ (Black)

I recommend the NST Crank Pulley but both are pretty similar and can't go wrong either way. This doesn't directly increase power output but a lighter pulley means less work needs to be performed to make it spin taking less power from your engine to spin it. On NST Website they have a dyno sheet that showed 4 hp and 15/16 ft/lb gained.

Unichip
Unichip - 2012 Scion tC tuning chip | car tuning

That is the tuning chip I have and tuning chips can be pretty hit or miss and this one seemed the most legit, when you order it you pick out your mod setup (Air Intake and Exhaust mods) then they put the proper maps on. Comes with two maps, a regular unleaded tune and then a premium tune. I've been running the Premium tune and I noticed a lot more pull through the first two gears but not as much in gears 3-6. I'm sure there are some gains in those gears probably 1-3 hp but any gain is a good gain. There are a couple more tuning options Dezod sells an AEM EMS for about 2k and unless you plan on getting a turbo I never saw a need to spend that much on it.

I went on a mustang dyno after doing everything and got 171 hp and 156 ft/lb. A lot of people think there is a power lose when using a mustang dyno vs. a dynojet around 12-15% loss. That would put me at roughly 194 hp and 178 ft/lb. My buddy has a 2012 civic si with cold air intake, full exhaust and tune most times when we race from dig I have him until 60-70 then his vtec and overall more hp overpowers the tc torque advantage.

All that being said you can probably take on any stock civic's and most older ones with subpar mods. Unsure about miatas and focus st since I have never raced either one of those.
Old 09-21-2017, 06:48 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just threw on the AgencyPower lw crank pulley last weekend. They're on sale rn for $112 from AP's site. The car definitely pulls harder and it really smoothed out the power band as well. A worthwhile mod for a 20 minute install. Judging from the dyno graphs on NST's site the pulley adds about a peak of 5whp, and around 15-20wtq around 4k rpm. Basically it just keeps pulling after 4k instead of just being a volume pedal. It's definitely a nice mod, but will not be the end-all-be-all to your dreams of having a soul-crushing tC.

And honestly man.. Going up against a Focus ST.. or really any factory turboed motor is a joke for the tC. It doesn't make much power unless turboed. A tune (orange virus or unichip) can give you an extra 20-25 pretty easily, but if you want real whp, a turbo is your only option else upgrade to a faster vehicle. The tC modded makes for a great daily, but if you want to crush other vehicles (that are likely also modded, keep that in mind), need to drop some serious coin.
Old 09-21-2017, 06:56 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by drizzoh
I just threw on the AgencyPower lw crank pulley last weekend. They're on sale rn for $112 from AP's site. The car definitely pulls harder and it really smoothed out the power band as well. A worthwhile mod for a 20 minute install.

And honestly man.. Going up against a Focus ST.. or really any factory turboed motor is a joke for the tC. It doesn't make much power unless turboed. If you want real whp, a turbo is your only option else upgrade to a faster vehicle. The tC modded makes for a great daily, but if you want to crush other vehicles (that are likely also modded, keep that in mind), need to drop some serious coin.
I totally agree with you. If you want more power out of a tC you only have a few options all of which are kind of expensive. Go the turbo route about $4.5 k for parts if I remember correctly. Now dezod also offers a short block and a few other engine mods that will get you more power with a full tuning. Last option besides an engine swap and serious weight reduction is a NOS kit which honestly you might be able to get away with running a slow small burst with stock internals without any issues. I know there are a few different NOS kits out there for our cars.