Notices
Scion tC 2G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Burning more Gas than normal..

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 10:47 PM
Premium Member

Default Burning more Gas than normal..

My 08 Scion tC is burning more gas than normal. use to get 220 miles a tank now I'm barely getting 160-170. I removed my CAI thinking that might be the problem but nothing.
I also used fuel injector cleaner, Sea foam in vacuum lines, cleaned throttle body, replaced spark plugs, and disconnected then reconnected the battery to reset the ECU and nothing has worked I'm still burning gas.

What could be the problem?

Last edited by MR_LUV; 07-16-2018 at 03:22 AM.
Old 08-12-2013, 01:32 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Do you have a Ultra Guage or Torque type set up to see if your car is giving off any codes? Some maybe be minor and not registering as a full "Check Engine Light" worthy code, causing issues but not giving you the check engine dash light.

You mentioned you had a Cold Air Intake? What type/Brand?

Has it only been recently? Could you have filled up your car with bad gas from a station? Or is this over multiple tanks?
Old 08-12-2013, 02:59 AM
Premium Member

I don't have a Ultra Gauge. The CAI was a off brand and I replaced the cone with a Spectre cone whenever I installed CAI. Its a full tubed CAI that runs into my wheel well area.
This problem has been going on for about a month and a half and after multiple tanks. I normally go to two different Shell stations to tank up so idk if there is something is there gas causing the problem.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 07-16-2018 at 03:23 AM.
Old 08-12-2013, 04:05 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just saw that you mentioned you did Seafoam, plugs etc.
Change upstream O2 sensor.

Buy 1 or 2 cans Seafoam, unhook line from brake booster, slowly trickle 3/4 the bottle into the intake, turn car off, let sit 10 minutes, pour some in oil per instructions in link below, then pour remainder of your Seafoam into gas tank.
Turn car on, drive aggressively, change your oil within next 100 miles.

you'll do a lot of cleaning. but if you aren't familiar with seafoaming an engine, have someone do it with you that has done it. as you can lock and blow your engine,

Links to help you understand
1. Seafoam and oil
http://www.seafoamsales.com/adding-sea-foam-to-oil/

2. Instructions for everything
http://www.lt1engines.com/tech/how-t...arbon-buildup/

I'd also think about replacing an upstream o2 sensor, also change out your spark plugs.
All of this should run no more than 130 bucks. (100 being o2 sensor) and if you don't get better mpg, your engine will indeed run better for remainder of your engine life. Your O2 could be bad but not tripping a code, and if your its not completely failed,
like going bad so less results.

DO NOT BE LIKE THESE IDIOTS. Man, people are idiots. They lock engines, etc.. then they want to rev their engines to like 10000k? retarded. If you do it correctly, your car will hum. I' do it to every single vehicle I've ever owned with exceptional results.

your vehicle SHOULD look like this, and drive like this with smoke

Last edited by MR_LUV; 07-16-2018 at 03:25 AM.
Old 08-12-2013, 04:36 AM
Premium Member

I have added sea foam to my brake booster also cleaned out my throttle body. I have also used sea foam and Lucas(at different fill ups).
Spark plugs were replaced last Sunday and it doesn't seem to be getting better. I thought about changing my upstream O2 maybe that might help.
Im running out of ideas I have done almost everything I can think of and nothing seems to be working.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 07-16-2018 at 08:40 PM.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:23 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nothing else would cause the issue other than CPU.

3 things to make engine run, spark, fuel and compression.
you changed the spark, your cleaning your compression and fuel lines. now you need air, air filter cleaned? possibly air sensor etc? or Mass air flow sensor! oh forgot about that. Get MAF sensor cleaner, pull that sucker out and clean it!.

I don't buy into snake oils, other than Seafoam, i use it in everything from mowers to my snowmobiles and jetskis. it really works, i fully support the company. People say it doesn't matter, but I use chevron 99% of time. Ive only used 2-3 tanks of fuel from elsewhere and its because I was to low to try to find a Chevron. I feel though Chevron gives the best mpg and has a cleaner burn. I get 36-37mpg straight highway on Chevron while 32mpg with Holiday or Tesoro. Everyone's opinion varies though and Alaska, doesn't contain Ethanol so its 10% better fuel in summer, but winter we get like, no mpg's because of chemicals to withstand the winter temperatures of Alaska's fierce winter.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 07-16-2018 at 03:18 AM.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:36 PM
Premium Member

air filter is cleaned its basically brand new . and MAF was cleaned last Sunday when I changed my plugs.
I use both sea foam and Lucas. I have been going with Shell for a long time and recently they started putting ethanol. I was told to go try with mid grade at Conoco are truck stops cause they don't contain ethanol. I live in south Louisiana and right now its 115 degrees so our engines or running harder so I need my car not to burn gas as fast.
Old 07-15-2018, 09:16 PM

Default Burning more gas than normal 2008 Scion tC

Hi all..I'm definitely burning MORE fuel than ever before BIG time. I read these threads and all this I did. I even took the MAF sensor out to clean.
Example: I filled tank on Friday 7/13/18 in an hour or so it was already HALF tank.

Can anyone help?? please

Last edited by MR_LUV; 07-16-2018 at 03:19 AM.
Old 07-16-2018, 02:30 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by pskillz
Hi all..I'm definitely burning MORE fuel than ever before BIG time. I read these threads and all this I did. I even took the MAF sensor out to clean.
Example: I filled tank on Friday 7/13/18 in an hour or so it was already HALF tank.

Can anyone help?? please
Does it smell like gas? It sounds like you might have a leak somewhere. My sister bought a car that had a bad seal on the fuel pump and it ended up dumping a bunch of gas out.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by drizzoh
Does it smell like gas? It sounds like you might have a leak somewhere. My sister bought a car that had a bad seal on the fuel pump and it ended up dumping a bunch of gas out.
Thanks, that was my next move just didnt want tovtake the extra step because i didnt smell gas and it does start normal and quick with no hesitations