Notices
Scion tC 2G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Axel back Exhaust verus Aftermarket muffler

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 04:45 PM
SL Member

Default Axel back Exhaust verus Aftermarket muffler

Hey there guys, so I've been looking at a lot of different axel back exhausts and noticed they all have pretty much the same design as the OEM exhaust but different muffler setup.
I don't really like the way most of the axel backs sound (Borla, Tsudo, etc) I was thinking about just cutting out the muffler and replacing it with a 10" Black Widow muffler...

Thoughts and opinions?

Last edited by MR_LUV; 01-16-2019 at 07:34 AM. Reason: typo
Old 01-15-2019, 05:53 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The Injen sounds pretty good by itself, but either way it's just a muffler swap. A smaller muffler will make the car louder, a bigger one will make it or keep it quieter. My Dezod Green header sounds great paired with my Tanabe Medalion. No rasp and great volume for daily.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:58 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by drizzoh
The Injen sounds pretty good by itself, but either way it's just a muffler swap. A smaller muffler will make the car louder, a bigger one will make it or keep it quieter. My Dezod Green header sounds great paired with my Tanabe Medalion. No rasp and great volume for daily.
the g concept sounds pretty good. Now im stuck between that or a black widow haha
Old 01-17-2019, 04:07 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The Concept G is a nice piece too, but a little too racer-styled for me. I'm not about that life anymore lol. All ABE's are kinda the same relative to their muffler size. I couldn't hear my Medalion at all before putting the header (which is why I got it, coz I didn't want an overly loud exhaust).

It's tough to judge based on sound clips coz you don't know what other mods they have (a lot have cheap raspy headers which alter the sound), and you don't know what it was recorded with and if your speaker system can play it properly (assuming normal pc/phone speakers vs a proper stereo setup). In the end I just went with what I thought looked the best, and IMO it doesn't get much classier than this.

Name:  LbS16F6h.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  121.3 KB
Old 01-20-2019, 03:10 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had a descendant catback and ended up switching out to the TRD axleback for more than one reason. BUT, the cat back gave me a little more power on the top end esp on the highway, but it lost a little low end torque and I got tired of everyone looking when I really wanted to accelerate... The axel back is basically just for sound, but the catback was loud and I got more than one long hard look from the cops- hasnt happened since I'm on the TRD. If you're deciding between an axel back and a muffler, I'd say just buy a axleback and keep the stock for when youre ready to sell the car. I've heard the Borla in person and IMO the TRD and Borla sound the best without any other exhaust mods and theyre both noticeably louder than stock.... just my 2cents