Notices
Scion tC 2G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Buyers Guide: Gen2 tC Intakes

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 05:08 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

The whole intake politics is just ridiculous.

1. Im gonna buy one (bought a sec ago)
2. Im gonna Dyno it
3. I will forever know if they work/do nothing/decrease performance
Old 07-07-2011, 01:37 PM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by Scratch
Just added some info on the Descendant CAI & their Dyno in the first post.

Looking for any folks who have gone the route of the stock setup and used a TRD, HKS, or K&N drop-in and have you seen any improvements?
I still have both the OEM and the TRD intakes…I’m willing to spend a Saturday dynoing the car with both intakes if someone is willing to provide the dyno in Cincinnati…I’m not willing to pay for the dyno though.
Old 07-07-2011, 01:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Scion202
The whole intake politics is just ridiculous.

1. Im gonna buy one (bought a sec ago)
2. Im gonna Dyno it
3. I will forever know if they work/do nothing/decrease performance
It stems from many boards, many different cars, all of them with the same issue. People posting "Hey will intake xyz give me mad hp/tq?" vs on this board where you have a buyers guide, and folks (like me) looked at it for their xB1 and said "hey look, intake xyz gets the best/proven hp/tq from all these folks doing their own dyno" etc etc

So if you DO get an intake and dyno it, let us know so you can keep some new owner from coming on here and asking if that intake helps/hurts/etc...

(ie, next week i'm going to PTuning to dyno the stock airbox with a K&N, w/o the snorkel)
Old 07-07-2011, 11:42 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Scratch
It stems from many boards, many different cars, all of them with the same issue. People posting "Hey will intake xyz give me mad hp/tq?" vs on this board where you have a buyers guide, and folks (like me) looked at it for their xB1 and said "hey look, intake xyz gets the best/proven hp/tq from all these folks doing their own dyno" etc etc

So if you DO get an intake and dyno it, let us know so you can keep some new owner from coming on here and asking if that intake helps/hurts/etc...

(ie, next week i'm going to PTuning to dyno the stock airbox with a K&N, w/o the snorkel)

Of course I will provide the graph for you to put the link to on the 1st page! The same thread 4 the tc1 lacks that and I ain't going through couple years of posts to dig something up
Old 07-13-2011, 06:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just got back from PTuning, no idea what to make of the results I got. 158.1 hp / 147.1 tq with the weather in the 90's.

K&N Filter, Carbon Filter removed, Snorkel removed, 87 Octane.

What surprises me, looking back at the stock dyno PTuning did in October (72 degrees) getting 159 WHP @ 153.7 TQ for a bone stock setup.

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...65&postcount=1

*shrug*
Old 07-13-2011, 07:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

To many variables to consider when trying to compare a result. Mabye their gas tank was only half full. You've already stated that there were two different air temps. Cooler air = more hp but you probably already know that. You should have ran the dyno with the stock set up first to get a base line than ran again with the k&n removed charcoal filter and snorkel than you could have possibly see if there was a gain
Old 07-13-2011, 07:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ i don't see how fuel level can affect the result, but yes, you should have done a stock baseline before getting a dyno reading with mods.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:33 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

did you use premium gas?

octane rating makes a huge difference
Old 07-13-2011, 07:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by donsun
^ i don't see how fuel level can affect the result, but yes, you should have done a stock baseline before getting a dyno reading with mods.
I was hinting to power to weight ratio less fuel lighter car more power
Old 07-13-2011, 07:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was planning to get a pure baseline, but TBH I'm not going to blow over $200 to see what gains show up from a $30 K&N filter.

...and I do understand that air temp/humidity makes a difference, but that was the old -10 degrees = +1 hp?

So then how does my hp only drop 0.9 below their pull, YET the torque is down 6.6? Just confusing. MAYBE if I get extra cash I'll put the silly snorkel back on and the OEM filter, and see if it changes much at all.

I totally do not understand a full gas tank having an effect on a dyno where the car is strapped in? The engine is only moving the front wheels, not the weight of the car?

...and no, just 87 octane.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I totally do not understand a full gas tank having an effect on a dyno where the car is strapped in? The engine is only moving the front wheels, not the weight of the car?

guess im wrong lmao o well.............. ..........."i reject your reality and substitue my own"
Old 07-13-2011, 08:13 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

all dyno pulls are on 93 when companies promote their equipment.

Me and Ted(wellesley) were actually discussing the difference last night.

You feel huge improvement in the ride quality/less vibrations throughout and noticeable HP/TQ gains. Gasoline should be a sticky thread for people that are asking how to improve HP/TQ without any mods. The new car such as this takes advantage of better fuel where as older cars do not. Enough of me talking, just fill up on Premium gas and you will be blown away
Old 07-13-2011, 08:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

*BLAH BLAH 93 Octane* Enough of me talking, just fill up on Premium gas and you will be blown away[/B]
lol kidding... one of my coworkers has a 2011 Mustang V6, on a forum he cruises "themustangsource" reported dyno pulls by American Muscle, bone stock on 87 then 93 octane, gaining that car +7hp over 4500 rpm....

Figure I'm stuck on 87 now anyways. I'll do any other dyno runs on 87 as well.

..and also YAY stickied! Thanks to whichever awesomeMOD that did that.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:29 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

do the dynos on 87 but enjoy daily driving on 93!
Old 07-14-2011, 05:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok, after some heated debate, and checking with PTuning to be sure my Dyno numbers were not corrected at all, and speaking to them about their stock run in October... it was agreed that the modifications done to my tC did net an increase, since it was so stupid hot/humid on the day I did my dyno.

So the K&N, carbon filter removal, and snorkel removal will net some gains. No precise numbers without someone forking over some cash for more runs.

...and a co-worker driving next to me has stated that the car sounds louder and more like an Evo than a Civic, with the mods as they are now.

This all makes me happy.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Added some links on the first page, Scion202 has the Takeda Attack CAI on his ride, installed pics are LINKIED.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:09 PM
Banned
SL Member

Here is a link to a photo of the TRD intake...you have got photos of all the others.

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2320&pictureid=10942
Old 07-25-2011, 08:51 PM
DaYUUM/Scion Evolution
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

FWIW,

I talked to a guy at the last car meet I went to...he said he works for Fujita so I asked about the intake for our tC2...he said they have it all ready and their "tester" should have told everyone on the forums...i said i havent heard anything new. and he said something about it having a special tube that is different than most scions....it was actually similar to the corolla S and something about it going from a 3in to a 2in instead of 3in all the way. forgot (his speaking wasnt the clearest). he also said they couldnt make it SRI convertible because the ECU is in the way..so it will be CAI only

anyways he offered me the sponsorship package (i never told him/showed him i had a descendant intake already in) for it all I gotta do is promote on the forums....i would still have to pay for it though, it wont be a free sponsorship, but it will come with 2 filters (not sure why?) but yea...i already have a descendant and very happy about it. i have his info but not sure i'll take it (i want only free)

they are located in Temecula, CA

I asked what else fujita will do and he said they will come out with exhaust, headers, and turbo too for our tC2s
Old 07-25-2011, 09:32 PM
DaYUUM/Scion Evolution
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

lucky much ?
but i already dropped $200 on the descendant and i would have to pay them $150 to let them "test fit it" (thought he did say he could powder coat it whatever color i wanted free)

my main issue is its not SRI....that was the selling point for me on the descendant as i want to keep an intake on (by converting to SRI) when the rainy season comes...and trust me when it rains in so cal....it pours for like weeks. my last car flooded in the trunk....i dont know how but it did. i want to be prepared a not be forced to go stock when the weather changes...the descendant (and the injen for that matter) is like buy 2 intakes for the price of one. i dont feel its worth the cost of test fitting the fujiti for $150 (i'm guessing that is at least half the retail price)

anyways...i'm leaning towards just forgeting about this guy. so if anyone is interested in guinea pigging for fujita PM me and i'll pass along the info if i decided to skip on this one
Old 07-29-2011, 03:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Found a couple tuner shops in my area who are willing to work with me to dyno my car. One charges a flat fee and will let me do as many pulls as I want. Problem is, I really don't want to mess with yanking the Descendant intake off.

Anyway, I have a question. What kind of Dyno is PTuning using? There is a company with a DynoJet and the other I believe has a Mustang Dyno. If either of those are what someone already has a baseline on, I'll go with that one. Obviously at 90+ degrees and 75% humidity, I'll get less power, but it's a start.

Quick Reply: Buyers Guide: Gen2 tC Intakes