Notices
Scion tC 2G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Buyers Guide: Gen2 tC Intakes

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 04:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The printout has Dyno Dynamics on it, but it's basically the 'wheels on' type. Not the axle-attached style used at Descendant / Church.

In the end is doesn't matter, as long as you can get a baseline at one place and go back to get the same pull with a new setup.

...but yeah, my pull with the K&N showed little improvement, mostly cause I have no 'stock' baseline in this kinda of humidity.

Oh, and make note of your octane. If you wanna get a fun feeling, run it on 93, bigger numbers for e-peen.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:40 PM
SL Member

ATTENTION ANYONE THINKING OF BUYING THE TAKEDA INTAKE SYSTEM:
I have had the Takeda intake system on my car for approx. 2 months, and since then the check engine light came on almost 10 times. I have cleared the code numerous times, then contacted AFE. They sent out a gasket for the MAF sensor. Since then, I cannot clear the code out of my car. I called them this morning and talked with Steve. He talked with his research and development team, who said, send it back. They are having multiple issues with the intakes, and are stopping sale of anymore of the intakes from their factory. Just thought I would pass on the information to anyone else.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Guys, forgive the new guy here that's trying to learn from those of you that know more about this than I do but what is this "Dyno" that you all keep talking about?
Old 08-10-2011, 08:43 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ninerbud
ATTENTION ANYONE THINKING OF BUYING THE TAKEDA INTAKE SYSTEM:
I have had the Takeda intake system on my car for approx. 2 months, and since then the check engine light came on almost 10 times. I have cleared the code numerous times, then contacted AFE. They sent out a gasket for the MAF sensor. Since then, I cannot clear the code out of my car. I called them this morning and talked with Steve. He talked with his research and development team, who said, send it back. They are having multiple issues with the intakes, and are stopping sale of anymore of the intakes from their factory. Just thought I would pass on the information to anyone else.

____ing great......I've had mine for 4 weeks and no issues. Feels actually like the ECU learns more and more and the car keeps getting faster/torque'ier. One thing I did is make the hole bigger and smooth it out that leads to the black narrow hose from the top of the engine. So IDK I may be posting uphere later and cursing or may be you're trying sabotage Takeda lol
Old 08-10-2011, 08:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Clockwork
Guys, forgive the new guy here that's trying to learn from those of you that know more about this than I do but what is this "Dyno" that you all keep talking about?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamom...engine_testing

The basic principle, you run your car on a Dyno in a stock setup. This gives you a baseline of HP/TQ. Then mod it, and after each mod, you run the Dyno again. This gives you delta changes in the HP/TQ numbers and you can see if it helps/hurts the engine.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:30 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

just make sure to not do it the same day bf/after some performance mod. You have to let the car computer to learn the new enviroment. Unless you can reset/tune the ECU right there which cost lotta $$$
Old 08-23-2011, 01:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Scratch, you did such a good job on this CAI write up, I nominate you to do a exhaust guide!
Seriously spent about an hour and a half looking around, we need a central location post with this stuff with reviews, sound clips, prices, ect ect. I am torn between.....pretty much all of em.....
And I will have no time to do this anytime soon.....

GOGO!
Old 09-14-2011, 04:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So, which air intake would you guys recommend now, based upon the accumulated wisdom of the past several months?
Old 09-14-2011, 04:32 PM
DaYUUM/Scion Evolution
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

descendant
Old 09-14-2011, 04:39 PM
Banned
SL Member

I like the TRD I have...
Old 09-14-2011, 04:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hi guys,

Thank you for your responses so far, I appreciate the guidance. What do you think the performance difference between TRD & Descendant is, and how do they differ in their ability to handle water? I had noticed that 2tCornot2tC had TRD and wondering why he chose it. With his mechanical engineering mind and expertise, I gather he has a very sound reason for that choice.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:13 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

definitely notice performance boost with Takeda and it sounds amazing with the stock exhaust. however one person on here had ton of CELs from it. I had it only once during a hurricane. i reset it and CEL free for 500 miles now
Old 09-14-2011, 05:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm avoiding the CAI for awhile until I can get some time to pull the wheel and fully examine all locations for water to splash up onto the filter. Every time it rains badly (see: last few weeks omfg rain) I pop the hood and look in the area the filter could be, and there is some splashed water. Not to mention I can see the road/light coming from the underside of the car.

I'm staying for now as OEM as possible with just the K&N which although has shown little power, I'm getting higher MPG (27-28 city & hwy commute, 31 on a long highway only trip) than I was with the OEM filter.

The OEM setup is not very restrictive, removing the small snorkel seems to help, but otherwise it just doesn't seem like the intakes on the market can do what they boast. We have yet to see an average joe dyno any CAI by itself.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:40 PM
Banned
SL Member

To get a direct comparison would be tough to do…one guy would have to buy both and then dyno both…not going to happen. I also know that there is not much, if any, HP to be gained by replacing anything outboard of the throttle-body/carburetor unless the OME make a big engineering mistake on the original design, or the engine is so modified that the OEM intake is no longer adequate…you’d have to double the HP in most cases. My engine is not modified…yet and probably not, because the tC is DD. I’m also pretty sure that all intake manufacturers have solved the “water issue” with a one-way-valve…just because it is a well known issue. I know that the effective length of the intake system has an influence on the torque and the HP curves. That is why I keep away from the CAI that goes down to ground level. Not only does the long intake run create lots of aerodynamic drag, there is also a one-way-valve to add even more restriction. That is a compromise on a compromise…not a solution. Now that I’ve eliminated the long intakes, I’m down to the short ones. I’ve got K&N intakes on my Hondas and like them…I still think they look very backyardish/shade-tree-mechanicish. All subjective so far. I’m also tired of hearing the dealers say you’ve modified your car, so we don’t know what you’ve done to it…or don’t know how it works…or some other BS. It’s an air cleaner and you don’t know how it works? It never holds water but always a discussion/argument…I don’t want to here it any more. The TRD one is factory made and very well might I add. And the dealer can’t whine at me… I paid for piece-of-mind. Oh yeah…did I say I liked how it looks?

But hey! I used the same logic on the TRD lowering spring…and I would not buy them again had I had a chance to do it all over again.
Old 09-14-2011, 06:31 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

whats wrong with TRD springz?
Old 09-14-2011, 06:54 PM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by Scion202
whats wrong with TRD springz?

It’s not so much the springs as it is the shocks…in a long, uneven, high speed turn, the car bounces and does not recover. Conclusion, the shocks aren’t strong enough to control the car. The OEM struts need to be replaced. Coilovers come with springs...
Old 09-14-2011, 07:05 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

so would you not have gotten the springs at all then(like any of em)? why arent you on coilovers yet!!!
Old 09-14-2011, 07:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not to take the thread too off topic, but let me do just that briefly since it's already gone that way. ;)

Do you think the TRD springs (or did you get the Eibach Pro Kit, 2tC?) worsen your experience with the car, or do they simply not improve it in all the various ways you were hoping for? I.E., is there any benefit to replacing the OEM springs at all? I'm getting my CUSCO strut bar in mid-October and hoping to have a decision on springs by that time. What do you suggest I do?

Back to the topic, my dad's pushing me to get the TRD intake. It seems like a sensibly designed piece, but I do like the idea of the Injen being modifiable between CAI & SAI. Descendant, I'm sure, is good also, it just can't be modified from what I can see, into a SAI, when weather might dictate that'd be a good option to have now & then.
Old 09-14-2011, 07:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by johnmk
Back to the topic, my dad's pushing me to get the TRD intake. It seems like a sensibly designed piece, but I do like the idea of the Injen being modifiable between CAI & SAI. Descendant, I'm sure, is good also, it just can't be modified from what I can see, into a SAI, when weather might dictate that'd be a good option to have now & then.
People have made the Descendant CAI into a SRI, however it does not have the supported mounting points that the others have, thus why it is only a CAI. You can convert it if you would like. The TRD advantages are OEM style with no risk of hydro-lock (if you get water in there you have other issues), CARB compliant, no MAF Sensor manipulation, and it is very difficult for Scion to give you warranty issues.

Does all that validate the absurd cost? That is up to you. If I had money to burn I would run the TRD, the larger snorkel gives you slightly cooler air, you get the filter (about the same as a K&N filter?), the larger airbox, and the same type of aluminum pipe going from the airbox to the TB as you will get with any aftermarket system.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:08 PM
DaYUUM/Scion Evolution
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by johnmk
if u have the money and want to avoid headaches...TRD is the easiest

injen manipulates the MAF rather than actually providing any benefit...so no on there

descendant can be SRI...i did it, drove around with it, had no problems. also it is sturdy enough at the throttle and the filter isnt super heavy that it doesnt really need a support. it would be nice...but not necessary

takeda has CEL problems...but other than that seems okay

u can also go any CAI + K&N or injen hydroshield (though its still not completely fool proof during very rainy weather)

Quick Reply: Buyers Guide: Gen2 tC Intakes