Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion tC 2G Drivetrain & Power (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-tc-2g-drivetrain-power-1826/)
-   -   Catless tC2 (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-tc-2g-drivetrain-power-1826/catless-tc2-227083/)

icculus09 03-09-2014 07:41 AM

Catless tC2

So, I just got my catback exhaust(which I just recently learned that we have two cats and the exhaust replaces one of them).
I am getting my unichip sometime in the next week or two, and this summer I am planning on getting a header(would go FI, but that is just something else to break and dump more money into as far as maintenance.)

Has anyone here had any problems running a completely catless tC? I mean in regards to being pulled over for noise and/or being checked for emissions?

I live in NJ, but being in the military I have Alabama plates on my car so I don't really care about inspections as I am exempt but I still don't want to be pulled over and end up getting charges for having a federally illegal car.

Just curious.

criminaltc 03-09-2014 07:25 PM

No. You'll be just fine going double cat less. Just as long as you have o2 bungs still you'll be good man. Don't worry about the law. If your good on emissions then f.ck it. Car will run great.

icculus09 03-09-2014 10:56 PM

Thanks for the reply!
Then I guess that I will get the weapon-r or the dezod red.

Probably going to keep my old manifold in case I ever end up moving and having to change my residency.

pfdumigan 03-09-2014 11:16 PM

Catless will sound great, run great but smell horrible. Basically it well smell like a ride along lawn mower. Your call.

criminaltc 03-09-2014 11:39 PM

I haven't had cats on just about anything I've ever owned and it smells great. Like a race track. You'll be alright.

icculus09 03-10-2014 12:40 AM

Screw it, go big or go home. Getting my header in May probably. Now I just have to figure out what else I can do to get more power out of my car since I refuse(wife won't let me) get a turbo.

Which one do you guys use? I am leaning towards weapon-r just based on the lower price point.

criminaltc 03-10-2014 09:10 PM

Go big or go home is right. I wish there was more people that like you on here. Everyone's always sketched out by everything even though us reputable guys reassure them time after time.

Anywho, yeah weapon r makes a seriously legit one that lays down some power. I'd get that one for sure. But yeah, like you were saying, to squeeze all that power out that you can, it's just intake/header/exhaust/tune. After that, you can add cams and that's about it.

pfdumigan 03-10-2014 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by criminaltc (Post 4143553)
Go big or go home is right. I wish there was more people that like you on here. Everyone's always sketched out by everything even though us reputable guys reassure them time after time.

Anywho, yeah weapon r makes a seriously legit one that lays down some power. I'd get that one for sure. But yeah, like you were saying, to squeeze all that power out that you can, it's just intake/header/exhaust/tune. After that, you can add cams and that's about it.

Find me cams for our cars and I'll come to your house and personally shake your hand.

icculus09 03-11-2014 12:56 AM

Glad to hear that the weapon r is good. Hopefully the unichip does what its supposed to do, the good reviews outweighed the poor reviews.

I can't find cams for our car anywhere. Could have sworn that I found then a few weeks ago for $1200(yikes), but nothing since.

I do enjoy a rather manly hand shake, so I will personally keep digging.

criminaltc 03-11-2014 04:41 PM

Unichip sucks. And you are right I never really pay attention to what car anyone is ever talking about even though it's even in the title. I figure by the time he goes with cams, crower will have come out with some more ill-measured warping junk like he always does.

icculus09 03-12-2014 02:40 PM

Not that I know from experience whether unichip sucks, but it fits my budget a little more than the alternatives.
Plus, and this is unfortunate...the nearest unichip tuner only tunes them for Porsches. If Porsche tuners are online with it then it can't be that sucky, just saying. No idiot would try to tune something for an exotic car that wasn't worth the money or they would lose business. Plain and simple. They would have repeat complaints and slowly lose a customer base.

Their canned tunes however, I can see how anyone can say that a canned tune sucks, situation depending. Their are too many variables to factor in to get full performance from it.

At any rate, unichip is what I can afford and yeah I hope it will compliment my header. If not then f*** me right?

criminaltc 03-12-2014 02:44 PM

F..k me is right. I hope it works for you. I'm sure they got the Porsche dealio dialed in, however, quite lack luster on the Scion side.

icculus09 03-12-2014 02:50 PM

You're right. Its all about the money flow.

I'm sure if there were more custom tuners for the unichips in our cars it would have a bigger fan base, but most people judge it off of the canned tunes I think. My goal was to get a custom tune, but it looks like that won't happen unless I do a little more digging and drive way farther out of my way.

So in a sense, you are right. It does suck. Otherwise, the fact that it is customizable makes it rock...if you are lucky enough to get it customized.

icculus09 03-12-2014 02:56 PM

Just to further stand by my price point cop outs, in case anyone thinks that... http://www.fastscions.com/scion-tc2-tuning-parts.aspx

Look at the prices of everything else. For AEM itself you need to buy a $700 computer plus a $200 harness. Screw that, I get military salary. Underpaid as Sh**.

Even greddy is over $600. I'm pinchin' pennies.

criminaltc 03-12-2014 02:57 PM

Exactly. My thing is, this is tune is your heart of of your managment really. I would want that to be dialed in. I wouldn't want to be bogging down sitting at a light because it wants to die, or fuel cuts at 5K rpm, or just straight smelling gas. I'd have a physical person do it regardless of drive time.

criminaltc 03-12-2014 02:58 PM

Haha. Nice nice. I see that. Yeah, tunes are legit man. You want the power unleashed, you gotta pay.

icculus09 03-12-2014 03:04 PM

I agree with that 100%, and I would get a custom tune on my ECU itself if there were a few tuners around here. There might be in fact, but I have googled a ton and came up with nothing except for muscle car tuners.

I could drive to Philly for a tune, but with my work schedule there is no way that I am going through that city in traffic. Not with my road rage.

icculus09 03-12-2014 03:11 PM

Anyway, backtracking...have you gotten a dyno with all of you bolt ons? If the dezod green header with a cat promises 8+hp what does a catless header give you?

criminaltc 03-12-2014 03:26 PM

I tell you what. Googling for tuners is like finding a shorter needle in a pile of regular length needles. Very difficult, even though they are out there and on Google, they are just impossible to search for no matter how you word it.

I would never waste dyno time on bolt ons. But a catless header will play nicer with an exhaust too to really open it up. But header alone might be an 8-10 spike. More noticeable mid range.

icculus09 03-12-2014 03:30 PM

What about an s-pipe? Haven't seen much on it, and from the looks of it after installing my exhaust...I don't feel like it would really make any difference.

Seriously, bought my car in 2011 and just now started modding it so I am trying to take in what I can.