Notices
Scion tC 2G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

A Few Questions About Intakes

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 02:14 PM

Default A Few Questions About Intakes

I just got a 2015 tC. I'm looking for some easier mods to do, and I decided an intake is a good place to start. I just have a few questions.

1) I live in a non-CARB state. If I install an intake that is not CARB certified, can I get in trouble for driving in a CARB state?

2) Which intakes sound best? I want the car to sound better, but not obnoxiously loud. I don't want it to be heard from a mile away.

3) How important is it to get a better exhaust if you have an aftermarket intake?

Thanks for the help guys!
Old 08-10-2015, 03:35 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ill try to help you out here....
1. No you wont get in trouble for driving in a CARB state, your car has to comply with the rules of the state its registered in. One exception to the rule will be tint's, that's a officer safety issue.
2. sound is a preference thing, short rams are usually louder then a full CAI
3. ill assume when you say a exhaust your just talking about a axle back, that will have no impact on a intake. A intake MAY help out a full exhaust, but in reality, its not something you will really notice.
Hope this helps, i just picked up my TC last week. Leased a blue streak 2015..If yours is a stick, i strongly suggest a quick shift kit, well worth the $35 i spent.
Old 08-10-2015, 03:42 PM

Thanks for the answers, man! I got an automatic, because I do almost 100% city driving and stop and go traffic.
Old 08-10-2015, 04:12 PM

One more question. I'm leaning toward getting the Injen CAI. However it's sold as "for off road use only." What are the implications of this?
Old 08-12-2015, 04:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by iFangy
One more question. I'm leaning toward getting the Injen CAI. However it's sold as "for off road use only." What are the implications of this?
There are no implications of this. Basically, companies like to sell their products "for off-road use only" so that they don't have to take accountability if your car fails inspection or emissions.

The Injen intake isn't known to cause check engine lights, so you'll be perfectly fine.

One more note. You may hear people talking about concerns of "hydrolock". This is when water enters the intake (usually a CAI that is placed lower to the ground) and ruins your engine. You do NOT have to worry about hydrolock with our car as long as you have fender liners in place. No water gets in there, even during heavy rain and puddles.
Old 08-13-2015, 05:10 AM
5 Year Member

I agree with what's been said. There are some fun mods you can use to learn a bit about the car, not really Power focused but slight increase in "performance". Pulleys, Light weight wheels, different exhaust sections, intakes of course, engine mounts, and on. You're on the right track to finding the right parts for you, just gotta read up on what you're considering.
Someone has a killer Deal on a K&N short ram intake - https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sci...rt-out-231407/

Just remember to enjoy your car, and don't let people tell you, you have to do anything.
Cheers