Notices
Scion tC 2G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Few Questions regarding to CAI, Exhaust and Header.

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 12:50 AM

Default Few Questions regarding to CAI, Exhaust and Header.

Hello I'm new here and I've a few questions regarding to the CAI and the Cat-back exhaust as well as a header. I've a 2013 Scion Tc Stock and well I want to get its 180 HP to at least 205 and its 173 lb torque to at least 195. I've been looking at a lot of different brands yet I don't know which to choose. Which one is better for me? I'm been looking at lot at the Megan cat back exhaust drift spec (If I get the catback, is it necessary to change the WHOLE pipe, like every single one?) and at the K&N Typhoon intake and the Weapon R Header. Are this good and reliable brands? I want sound and power, I really just want to get it to 205 max hp for now.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:06 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

You'll never get there with cai, exhaust, and header. You would need to tune which means buying an ecu piggyback and pnp harness. Even then, I can't see those gains with bolt ons.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:11 AM

Then how much would I get without tuning?
Old 12-15-2012, 01:14 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by yoToco94
Then how much would I get without tuning?
I don't want to give you a number without any backing. I have those parts on my car but haven't ever dynoed it. By just driving it I can tell you this though: intake makes pshh sound, exhaust sounds nice and opens up more power when revving high in 3rd gear, and header just modifies exhaust sound. I do wonder if I got any gains though...
Old 12-15-2012, 01:16 AM

And can you tell me what brands u have? I just want to get even with 2008 Civic Si if its possible. There a few here and people are all over rubbing faces cuz they have Vtecs.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:19 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

And can you tell me what brands u have? I just want to get even with 2008 Civic Si if its possible. There a few here and people are all over rubbing faces cuz they have Vtecs.
Injen Intake
Descendant Exhaust
Weapon R Header

I haven't raced an SI, but I imagine it being a drivers race. Get a shortshifter and a motormount to have an edge.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:23 AM

Thanks, also does it sound good with those bolt on? How is the sound?
Old 12-15-2012, 01:37 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks, also does it sound good with those bolt on? How is the sound?
It sounds really good! I get a lot of compliments because its not obnoxious.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:45 AM

Great, as fot he Exhaust, when is a cat back do Ive to hcange the whole system? Like every single pipe or I can just buy the tip and thats it? I know it would be like an axle back. But Im not sure really what is best.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've got a weapon r race header with cel eliminator im selling if your in the market it's a great price less than 1k miles on it I'm just boosting my car so I don't need it I loved it the entire time I had it on and I raced a few si it was a drivers race won a few lost a few think of it this way everyone's got a honda and your tc looks much better
Old 12-15-2012, 01:49 AM

Right now I dont have the money as I started working today. xD But thanks for sharing, also what is a Cel AEiminator?
Old 12-15-2012, 01:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Check engine light so you don't throw any codes when you put a header on it throws a cel due to no cat unless you have an eliminator then your problems resolved
Old 12-15-2012, 02:00 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Great, as fot he Exhaust, when is a cat back do Ive to hcange the whole system? Like every single pipe or I can just buy the tip and thats it? I know it would be like an axle back. But Im not sure really what is best.
Cat back means from the catalytic converter to the back. Axel back means from the axel to the back (keeping your stock midpipe).
Old 12-15-2012, 02:12 AM

Thanks to both of you. You cleared by doubts.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's nice to know I'm not the only one trying to beat an SI... haha Mind you mines on a little bigger scale. (His is supercharged with a bunch of mods) But as for what you're looking to do, just bolt ons won't get you where you're trying to get unless you tune as well. It might be worth looking into to get the most out of your car. I would recommend looking into Dezod's green header, it retains the catalytic convertor so you don't have to worry about beating the CEL.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by Kyleptrsn1
It's nice to know I'm not the only one trying to beat an SI... haha Mind you mines on a little bigger scale. (His is supercharged with a bunch of mods) But as for what you're looking to do, just bolt ons won't get you where you're trying to get unless you tune as well. It might be worth looking into to get the most out of your car. I would recommend looking into Dezod's green header, it retains the catalytic convertor so you don't have to worry about beating the CEL.
Hahaha thanks for the info. Im not THAT into racing but I dont like to be all stock. Also please check my other question, maybe you can help me! I will look for that header.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Green can suck it lol dezod makes a great header just prefer the race header myself
Old 12-15-2012, 02:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I guess I'm confused about which question you're referring to, so I'll answer all the ones I can.
As for all the brands you mentioned, they are all very reputable brands. The only one that hasn't proven itself (in my mind) is the K&N typhoon intake. K&N makes great air filters, I've just never been sold on their intake systems.

As for how much you think you would get with out tuning? There is really no way to be sure unless you or someone else goes to do a dyno pull stock and then with the exact same parts installed (with similar dynos and weather conditions)

Another way you can help with your power to the wheels is by installing a light weight crank pulley (like the one from NST)and lightweight flywheel.

I hope I was able to answer your questions.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by Kyleptrsn1
I guess I'm confused about which question you're referring to, so I'll answer all the ones I can.
As for all the brands you mentioned, they are all very reputable brands. The only one that hasn't proven itself (in my mind) is the K&N typhoon intake. K&N makes great air filters, I've just never been sold on their intake systems.

As for how much you think you would get with out tuning? There is really no way to be sure unless you or someone else goes to do a dyno pull stock and then with the exact same parts installed (with similar dynos and weather conditions)

Another way you can help with your power to the wheels is by installing a light weight crank pulley (like the one from NST)and lightweight flywheel.

I hope I was able to answer your questions.

Thanks for your time. Im looking up info on Dynos here where I live to see what I can do.

Here is another question I got

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=219852

Thanks!
Old 12-15-2012, 09:57 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I raced a 2010 Civic Si at the track and we were dead even. At that time I just had an axle back exhaust.

As for your power, 180HP is at the crank. Take into consideration drive train loss, so on the dyno you're maybe putting 160hp to the wheels based on condition. So do you want 205hp at the wheels or just in general? Most bolt on modifications do not increase power significantly without a tune as already mentioned. Your best bet, if you want power, is to go forced induction. I have a CAI and an exhaust, it sounds cool. Exhaust opened it up a bit and CAI gave better throttle response, but overall power it doesn't feel like I gained a lot, just feels more peppier.

Quick Reply: Few Questions regarding to CAI, Exhaust and Header.