Notices
Scion tC 2G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Group buy Brian Crower camshafts

Old 06-27-2017, 11:06 PM
5 Year Member

Default Group buy Brian Crower camshafts

As the title states, if we get 50 guys willing to commit to buying cams (putting down money) BC will make billet cams for the 2ARFE.

Just trying to get a feel for if there is any interest for this.

____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 04-30-2021 at 02:05 AM. Reason: Awarded 5 Yr Badge
Old 07-30-2017, 09:16 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

What's the price?
Old 04-30-2021, 01:36 AM
SL Member

Did BC ever end up making a run of cams for the 2AR-FE?
Old 04-30-2021, 06:35 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I doubt they ever got minimum of 50 orders for custom run.
I've used cams from many different outfits (avoid Web Cams).
About 30-years ago, I used Toy Store in Malibu, CA, but they're long gone.
Nowadays, I recommend Dema Elgin Cams for any cam-grinding (not that knock-off Elgin Industries)
https://elgincams.com/

Old 04-30-2021, 07:46 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by DannoXYZ
I doubt they ever got minimum of 50 orders for custom run.
I've used cams from many different outfits (avoid Web Cams).
About 30-years ago, I used Toy Store in Malibu, CA, but they're long gone.
Nowadays, I recommend Dema Elgin Cams for any cam-grinding (not that knock-off Elgin Industries)
https://elgincams.com/
I would generally agree, custom work carried out by an old pro is always the way to go. In my situation, I'm running a 2AR-FE off a Camry 2014. This being the case, it would be a little crazy to put in the kind of money and time that would be the same for any car into this motor. Only so much excitement I can squeeze out of this package. I'll nonetheless reach out to Dr. Elgin for a quote and see what guidance he may offer.

However, I have an idea. What would you think about establishing a crowdfunding project for 50 or so guys to put money together for a product run? I would contact a proper cam builder people have a good consensus on. Gather notes from a call and come back to Scionlife and some other groups to then figure out what most people would like the cams profiled out like. Get a final RFQ out to the builder then create a GoFundMe alla Massdrop.com style. In the end it would be a fantastic way for all of us interested to get a quality machined cam upgrade at an affordable price. I would try my best to find a platform that is trusted and can escrow monies ethically and I'd set in a time frame for reaching 50 orders, if it's not met within some months or weeks, the monies are refunded to each buyer.

Has this been done before? I'd like to work on it with someone if there's an interest. And honestly, I think if it were done well, we'd have no problem finding 50 2AR-FE Toyo/Scion owners. We may have too many people who want in
Old 05-03-2021, 03:07 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Am interested as I've searched for cams for this car and haven't found anything I want to run. Would need to know price and full pros/cons before giving a complete answer though. Also not sure if I'd need to have my tune changed when swapping these or what additional parts would be needed to make the cams work without any issues. These would need to be tame enough to still daily drive but provide about a 20hp increase for me to commit considering these would probably be in the $5-700 range for the limited run.
Old 05-03-2021, 09:42 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeh depending on price I might be interested as well. Future goals to build the motor, turbo it, blow it up, then the real project begins.

I thought I've seen some cams and stroker kit for sale, like from vividracing I think
Old 05-03-2021, 11:36 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Crowd-funding site would certainly streamline collecting fees for these one-off projects. I've lead group-buys on various Porsche and motorcycle forums and collecting the money has always been pain-in-___.

However, that still doesn't change the numbers of people interested and committed to group-buy. That depends upon value of product and discount I suppose. Cams are difficult sell because in and of themselves, they don't give you much. Really should be very last item to tie all previous mods together:

- big-bore high-compression pistons, biggest bang-for-buck upgrade. Instant +15-20% increase, nothing else comes close
- long-tube 4-1 headers
- free-flow exhaust
- larger back-cut valves on
- fully-radiused, beryllium-copper valve-seats
- short D-ported intake-runners on
- large volume intake-manifold
- large-diameter throttle-body

After all that's been done, then optimum cam-specs can be determined. Otherwise, you'll need custom cam-grind after every upgrade.

Last edited by DannoXYZ; 05-04-2021 at 06:49 PM.
Old 06-30-2021, 12:08 AM
SL Member

Curious about this thread, and the interest in an aftermarket cam. Does TRD support the engs. in these Scions? I would think the factory/manufacturer would have a better handle on what profiles work best for their own motors. And like Danno mentioned above, you can't just throw a cam in, W/O balancing the entire eng. around it. In the olden days, an aftermarket cam went in, to make more power on the top-end. (Usually, but not necessarily always.) Not sure how the computers would tolerate the antics of a different cam, but I guess with aftermarket chips, maybe it's doable. But I was under the impression today, if more power is desired, "TURBOS" are the way to go. A turboed motor isn't as sensitive to camming as a NA motor. And what are the limitations on the stock cam in the Scion now? It's all new to me. (Just my 2 cents)
Old 06-30-2021, 02:24 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by joeq
Curious about this thread, and the interest in an aftermarket cam. Does TRD support the engs. in these Scions? I would think the factory/manufacturer would have a better handle on what profiles work best for their own motors. And like Danno mentioned above, you can't just throw a cam in, W/O balancing the entire eng. around it. In the olden days, an aftermarket cam went in, to make more power on the top-end. (Usually, but not necessarily always.) Not sure how the computers would tolerate the antics of a different cam, but I guess with aftermarket chips, maybe it's doable. But I was under the impression today, if more power is desired, "TURBOS" are the way to go. A turboed motor isn't as sensitive to camming as a NA motor. And what are the limitations on the stock cam in the Scion now? It's all new to me. (Just my 2 cents)
It's my impression that with the little the aftermarket will bear for the 2AR-FE currently, and that there are virtually no TRD aftermarket parts for this series of Camry or Scion. I feel what can be done truly is custom work. I've seen a lot to get inspired by on the Frankenstein Motorworks channel on YouTube, and Papadakis racing team. There used to be a shop called Dezod motorworks, but they've closed up a few years ago. Any turbo manifold now has to be custom and all I can find online now are JE pistons, Molnar rods, short ram intakes, headers from Weapon R + OBX, and coilovers from various makers.

Marc at Frankenstein motorworks proposed placing a stock 2AR-FE intake cam on the exhaust side as a way to get some extra power. Also, he suggested the 1AR-FE pistons and camshaft could be placed directly into the 2AR-FE motor as a way to stroke the displacement from 2.5 to 2.7, something team Papadakis did for their Scion build. I've considered these mods, but not certain how I'd implement them.

A group like Brian Crower can use info from Toyota to make the right cams, but for one off customers they won't likely put research and time to decide for us what a proper profile would be unless they had a proper production run.

I'd be happy to work with someone here to spearhead a group buy. Crowdfunding alla the massdrop.com model would be fantastic. Who here thinks that would have a chance at success?