Notices
Scion tC 2G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

How can i get the most out of the engine without a TURBO/SUPERCHARGER??

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 02:45 AM

Default How can i get the most out of the engine without a TURBO/SUPERCHARGER??

Hello !!

i have a 2014 tC, already have an INJEN short ram air intake, but i wanna get the most power out of the car without going all the way and get a turbo or supercharger. with that what do you recommend? list some parts it would be a big help !

Old 04-29-2017, 10:02 AM
Administrator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Administrator

What most people do is try a I/H/E (Intake/Header/Exhaust). And if finances permit a Tune. There are too many combinations and variations to suggest what is best.
Plus State Emissions is a factor to what is Street Legal. And whether your car is still under the New Car Warranty.

In Cali, the most restrictive state, IMHO the single Best Bang for the Buck is the TRD Cold Air Intake (CAI). Part No. PTR03-21140 list price $425.
You can get it for less. Yes, it is pricey but, well worth it to me and CARB legal.

You can check the Dyno Tests: Buyers Guide 2nd Gen Scion tC page11 Your Results May Vary.

If you prefer other CAIs like Injen, AEM, K&N, Fujita, Takeda, eBay or Short Ram Intakes (SRI) that is your privilege. However that may not be street legal in your State and
Subject to Inspection. Also there are too many Subjective claims as to Hp. Too many peeps are using their "butt-dyno" to determine performance. "Wow, I can feel the throttle response"
"I can hear the Power" "My sister's BF loves this Intake". The Manufacturer's claims are Suspect because You do not know the Circumstances of the test. Was it tested on a V-6, V-8?
Did they have Headers or an Exhaust? A Tune? What type of Vehicle and Year?

The only real way to determine Performance is to have Your vehicle Dyno-Tested Before any modifications and go back later to the same Dyno shop and get a After Test Results.

The way to max your N/A vehicle (if State Emissions permit) is a good CAI, good set of Headers, a custom mid-pipe, a quality cat-back exhaust. Then, maybe a Tune.
All this will be a Investment on your part and what you can afford to spend. And you can never get the speed and performance compared to a Forced Induction (Turbo/Supercharger). Approx. $5,000

I do not have Headers and Exhaust because my 2015 RS9 is still under New Car Warranty.

MR_LUV

Last edited by MR_LUV; 05-10-2017 at 12:31 AM.
Old 04-30-2017, 06:16 PM

awesome im gonna look into all that, i think a turbo may come but much later. i just wanna get a il more kick out of my tC, but im gonna start looking into it!
Old 05-01-2017, 01:24 AM
Administrator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Administrator

This is an example of what we face in a Emissions Control State like Cali:

Cali Legal Headers?

Other than Cali, you might want to consider //Dezod// Green CATTED tC2 Header Which is 49-State Legal.

Another is a WeaponsR Header and a Optional CEL Eliminator

Now Member Chris_Release_9 CLAIMS in his comment HERE

"GET A UNICHIP AND WEAPON R HEADERS. Then delete all the cats. get weapon R check engine light eliminator too. Thats how im at 234.5 FWHP @ 93oct.

He is from FL and doesn't deal with all the smog controls I have here. However, he does not offer any Dyno Test Results to support his claims.

I like to see more Members to Post their Dyno Results to whatever modifications they do whether it be Intakes/Headers/Exhaust.