Notices
Scion tC 2G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

I need some Horsepower! :D

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 10:44 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by wlfpck
Well... I'm not going to lie... if you're 16 and she bought you the car, you should probably just drive the car from point A to point B. The car is under her name and her insurance.

If you want to have a car you can mod without your parents telling you what to do, then it's pretty easy. Get a job, get your own car and do whatever you want with it.

As soon as I turned 16, my father told me to get my own car. I paid for it myself along with the insurance. Being from Naperville right outside of Chicago, it was hard watching kids at my high school show up in 5 series BMW and the Infinitis and Lexus (Lexi) cars. But, I learned that value of a dollar quick. Went through my undergrad and graduated with no debt and now I'm in my masters program.

You have a brand new car. Drive it and take the whole process slow. "Only" having 180 hp is not going to kill you. This is the car industry. You have to pay to play. Do it right the first time so that you don't waste the time and money on things that break or don't work.
Yep.. i totally understand. And i actually have a job. At McDonalds : / but its still a job.
Old 10-14-2011, 01:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 2011TCfrenzy
Yep.. i totally understand. And i actually have a job. At McDonalds : / but its still a job.
At least you are working, keep at it.

For the car, just drive it back and forth. Get used to it, see how it drives, see what you would like to improve on. There are many simple things you can do that do not cost an arm and a leg and will help.

More horsepower? Not going to happen on the cheap. You've heard what folks have said on here, listen to them.

...and just be glad you have a brand new car. $#@% when I was 16 I saved up every penny of $1700 to buy a 1985 chevy cavalier and was damn happy with it!!
Old 10-14-2011, 03:24 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by Scratch
At least you are working, keep at it.

For the car, just drive it back and forth. Get used to it, see how it drives, see what you would like to improve on. There are many simple things you can do that do not cost an arm and a leg and will help.

More horsepower? Not going to happen on the cheap. You've heard what folks have said on here, listen to them.

...and just be glad you have a brand new car. $#@% when I was 16 I saved up every penny of $1700 to buy a 1985 chevy cavalier and was damn happy with it!!
yeah man i am.. i just wish i could upgrade it man.. ive been passionate about fast cars and having one since i was a kid!! but my time will come. I've been keeping up with the fast and furious since it began!! But ill just save some money for now.. i think im just going to tint the tails ( if you know of any good methods for tinting the tail lights a smoke color NOT blacked put let me know!) and do my fog lights 300k HID.
Old 10-14-2011, 03:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Why not just put a 50 shot of nitrous on it?

Contrary to popular misbelief, Nitrous doesn't equal a blown up engine.

Just like a turbo, proper tuning is everything.
Old 10-14-2011, 01:23 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by Roller_Toaster
Why not just put a 50 shot of nitrous on it?

Contrary to popular misbelief, Nitrous doesn't equal a blown up engine.

Just like a turbo, proper tuning is everything.
because nitrous is a one time use, turbo is like constant
Old 10-29-2011, 05:45 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

top speed through gears.
1st gear: 28
2nd gear: 58
3rd gear: 80
4th gear: (idk. never topped it out,but i think the fastest I've been is 110, and was till in 4th)
5th gear: book says 125.
6th gear: unknown to me
Old 10-30-2011, 05:20 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 11tcowner
top speed through gears.
1st gear: 28
2nd gear: 58
3rd gear: 80
4th gear: (idk. never topped it out,but i think the fastest I've been is 110, and was till in 4th)
5th gear: book says 125.
6th gear: unknown to me
sounds about right.
6th gear is 135.... but i still had 1,300 rpm left to go but i started running out of road. someone on here claims 150
Old 10-30-2011, 05:34 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I highly doubt 150 since the gauge tops out at 150. Idk, you said 140 in 6th gear. Oh well. How fast does 5th and 6th gear climb mph wise?
Old 10-30-2011, 05:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 2011TCfrenzy
because nitrous is a one time use, turbo is like constant
If you manage to use an ENTIRE bottle in ONE shot...yes...you will blow up your engine.

Just get a flywheel and a rear swaybar, you will be happy. Don't get a huge power adder until you are comfortable with the car.
Old 10-31-2011, 03:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yep i got the tc2 to about 150 when the rev limiter kicked it! With the bolt ons i was able to hit 130 pretty quick and then it took a few to even get to 150 but i was going down a hill so im sure that helped in getting me to 150! i tried to make a video or at least take a pic but when i hit about 140 the car started shaking pretty good and the video and pictures came out blurry
Old 11-02-2011, 04:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I installed the Torque Solution motor mount and have only good things to say about it -- from a performance standpoint, things are improved as the engine spends more of its energy turning the wheels than twisting itself in the engine bay on the stock jello-like motor mount. The engine being more connected to the vehicle also transmits more noise & vibration into the cabin. I consider myself pretty sensitive to noise & whatnot, so since this doesn't bother me, it probably shouldn't bother any of you. The noise also changes in character and sounds so much more masculine. Anyway, just sharing -- I definitely feel a performance & handling improvement.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by johnmk
I installed the Torque Solution motor mount and have only good things to say about it -- from a performance standpoint, things are improved as the engine spends more of its energy turning the wheels than twisting itself in the engine bay on the stock jello-like motor mount. The engine being more connected to the vehicle also transmits more noise & vibration into the cabin. I consider myself pretty sensitive to noise & whatnot, so since this doesn't bother me, it probably shouldn't bother any of you. The noise also changes in character and sounds so much more masculine. Anyway, just sharing -- I definitely feel a performance & handling improvement.
I should see improvements even on an auto, right?
Old 11-02-2011, 10:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Positively, yes.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:42 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I dont consider myself to know much about modding, but do recommend a few things:

-I would def. not recommend HID Fog lights, if you search an HID FAQ, you'll find that they do not do well in reflector housings, and you will blind all the drivers around you. (maybe search audi DRL mod, this looks so much cooler, about 40 bucks for everything and doesnt take too much know how)

-Get a motor mount for sure, I just installed one and it is so much fun! I actually drive slower now because I'm not revving the engine so hard to hear it, its loud even at ldle. Also, it feels so much more connected like everyone says. Only bummer is when you start off in first, you definitely get some feedback. I got mine on here for 70 bucks shipped and takes 20 mins to put in.

-The TWM Base and Shifter bushings are super easy to install and feel amazing, if you have a stick. cost 25 each and take about an hour to install total
Old 11-08-2011, 09:41 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i wonder how the motor mount will feel with coilovers and a deep drop?
Old 11-08-2011, 02:49 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you get the GGP motor mount like I got (If Nurspec still has any left) mine was 70 bucks shipped and it came with a softer and a harder, one for street and one for track I guess. I have my track one on right now for the street just because its loud and fun, but I might try the street just because it only takes about 15-20 minutes to install. I bet the softer of the two would be allright if you were lowered.

Worst case scenario, Geoff would probably take it back if necessary, he is super cool and has great customer service.

he is on this forum and his name is Nurspec
Old 11-08-2011, 02:50 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...hlight=nurspec

He is on that thread
Old 11-08-2011, 07:08 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by disaster06
Thanks for the link and your thoughts on the motor mount. Ive been looking into getting a motor lately, anyone know the differences between this and the mount by torque solutions?
Old 11-08-2011, 07:46 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Torque solutions mount has 75A durometer bushings and is 119.00,
GGP has both 70A and 88A durometer bushings which you could switch out yourself and is around 75.00 shipped (if he has any left).
Old 11-09-2011, 05:50 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here is a sound clip from the inside of my tc with the motor mount. This was a slow takeoff from a stop light, up to about 45 or 50, but this will definitely give you an idea of the sound.

http://www.wikiupload.com/R02RRR3INH4GMLT

Quick Reply: I need some Horsepower! :D