Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion tC 2G Drivetrain & Power (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-tc-2g-drivetrain-power-1826/)
-   -   New Build Project (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-tc-2g-drivetrain-power-1826/new-build-project-236395/)

Josh0915 08-13-2018 01:02 AM

New Build Project

I currently have a 15 tC automatic trans and looking at boosting its performance. I know I’m going to swap to a K&N air intake and probably swap out the exhaust for some a little more aggressive.
I’m wondering what others might have done to get there.

Open to any suggestions, thanks.

*Moved to Correct Forum by Administrator

Sticky Where to Post Your Question

MR_LUV 08-13-2018 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by Josh0915 (Post 4289848)
I currently have a 15 tC automatic trans and looking at boosting its performance. I know I’m going to swap to a K&N air intake and probably swap out the exhaust for some a little more aggressive.
I’m wondering what others might have done to get there. Open to any suggestions, thanks.

For the 15 tC automatic trans, IHMO, the Single Best Bang for the Buck is the TRD Cold Air Intake. Yes, it's Pricey, but, I have the Dyno Test to prove it's worth:

MR LUV's LUV MOBILE Mod Thread 2015 tC2.5 RS9

Josh0915 08-13-2018 12:52 PM

How much did it boost your hp?

MR_LUV 08-13-2018 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Josh0915 (Post 4289851)
How much did it boost your hp?

▲▲ LOOK UP! ▲▲ Read the Dyno Sheets in my Link Above (TRD Install Bottom of Page)

I will let the Numbers Speak for Themselves.

YMMV

drizzoh 08-13-2018 02:59 PM

Per all the 'dyno' numbers, the Injen says it boosts your hp the most. Nothing wrong with TRD stuff, but way overpriced for half the performance of a real SRI/CAI. I picked up my Injen SRI for ~$160. I know Luv won't agree with me here, but to each their own.

Just a FYI, this car, especially in automatic won't ever be 'fast', but simple bolt-ons can make the daily drive more enjoyable and make you feel a little better about overtaking on the highway. That being said, I have the Injen SRI, Dezod Green header (no rasp or cel), the Agency Power Lightweight Crank Pulley and the Tanabe Medalion exhaust. I don't know what my hp numbers are, but the car accelerates much easier and pulls harder. It's much more fun to drive and sounds great.

Another good place to look at in cars like ours are into suspension. We can't do a ton to speed it up in a straight line (except boost), but performance comes in many forms. A good set of lowering springs and a strut tower bar will liven up the feel quite a bit. Personally I'd recommend the Tein S-Techs and the DC Strut tower bar. IMO the car rides a lot smoother than stock, looks great and holds a lot tighter in the corners. You will feel the road a bit more, but it's a very welcome trade-off for the handling performance gained.

Good luck with your car in whatever direction you take it.

MR_LUV 08-13-2018 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by drizzoh (Post 4289853)
Per all the 'dyno' numbers, the Injen says it boosts your hp the most. Nothing wrong with TRD stuff, but way overpriced for half the performance of a real SRI/CAI. I picked up my Injen SRI for ~$160. I know Luv won't agree with me here, but to each their own..

FYI, the TRD (Toyota Racing Development) IS the REAL Cold Air Intake. All the others are imitation knock-offs, their versions to avoid the Toyota Patents / Copyrights. Yes, you can pickup a Injen SRI for ~$160 or cheaper Intake if you want less/ little performance, just sound & noise.
Don't believe the other manufacturer's CLAIMS. Their Sites Do Not Show How they Obtain their Numbers. They are GENERIC Claims. Did they get their 10-15 Hp Gain on a V-8, V-6 Camaro, Mustang, MoPar, Subaru. Nissan? Did they use Headers, or other Engine Improvements?
Did they Show their Dyno Results on a Base Scion tC Before and After? Did they show their Dyno Test on a Stock tC and the Actual Results with their Injen, K&N, AEM, Takeda, Fujita, eBay,..etc. I don't think so. So unless it's Specific to YOUR own Vehicle, it's meaningless exaggerations
and claims by Manufacturers that are attempting to Sell you something. Don't go by Claims, Opinions, Speculations, or Impressions. Everyone has an Opinion. If you want Facts, Get Objective Tests. Get your Own Unbiased Dyno Tests and Analyze the Results.

The ONLY Real way to Tell is to Save your Pennies and Get a Dyno Test from a Reputable Shop on YOUR Vehicle BEFORE any Modifications are done. Then you go back to the Same Shop and get a 2nd Dyno Test AFTER to See your, if any Results.
Other than than, you are just using your "butt-dyno". Which is Conjecture, Speculation and Impressions: "My Sister's Boyfriend Thinks my New Intake Sounds Great", "All my friends says (K&N, Injen, AEM, Takeda, Fujita, eBay,..etc) are the Best", "My cheap Intake is superior
to all those overpriced Intakes", "I can FEEL the improved Throttle Response". "Wow! Great Look, and Great Sound". "Just watch my YouTube video, Hear How Great it Growls", "I don't know what my hp numbers are, but the car accelerates much easier and pulls harder".

"I picked up my Injen SRI for ~$160, it's better than the overpriced TRD stuff". So you are claiming that somehow your $160 Injen SRI is Comparable / Equal / Better than the TRD CAI? So other than what Injen claims "it boosts your hp the most", How did you Validate their Claims?
What Independent Proof do you have? Did you Dyno Test your Injen SRI vs the OEM Intake? Did you compare your Dyno-Test Results vs my TRD CAI results? Or did you use your highly accurate sensitive "butt-dyno"?

If all Intakes are the Same, then Show the Dyno Tests, Before and After. Dyno Tests don't Lie. ALL the Top Racing Teams Dyno-Test their cars Before and After any Performance Modifications. They do not get the Cheapest Intakes or Parts.
And they don't use "butt-dynos". When it comes to Intakes for our Scions, You Get What You Pay For.

Oh, one other small thing, ANY other Intake other than the TRD CAI is Not Approved for our Toyota / Scions.
If they cause a CEL or related problems, you are Impacting your New Car Warranty and the Dealer Can Deny you Service if they determine your problem is related to your After Market Intake.

MR_LUV

drizzoh 08-13-2018 11:04 PM

^^ I knew you weren't going to agree. Your replies and opinions on things crack me up man. We don't see eye to eye on this stuff but I'm glad you like your overpriced parts lol. Keep fighting crime in your batmobile.

MR_LUV 08-14-2018 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by drizzoh (Post 4289859)
^^ I knew you weren't going to agree. Your replies and opinions on things crack me up man. We don't see eye to eye on this stuff but I'm glad you like your overpriced parts lol. . Keep fighting crime in your batmobile.

Actually, I find YOUR replies and opinions on things to be quite humorous. Anyone who pays ~$160 for a knock-off Noise Maker. Yes, it is just a Noise Maker unless you can afford and produce your Dyno Sheets that can Back Up your Claims.

Intake, exhaust, and other bolt-ons give you more noise...but very little in terms of actual performance..

The TRD Cold Air Intake if anything is Under Priced. It is the Only Authorized, Approved and Engineered by Toyota CAI that Produces Results for our Vehicles:

Buyers Guide: Gen2 tC Intakes

The Other Things you Fail to Mention in your Recommendations is most of the Intakes, K&N, Injen, AEM, Takeda, Fujita, eBay,..etc are not C.A.R.B. Legal. I know you are from AZ where the emissions standards are less stringent than here in Cali.
But, there are over 33 million Registered Vehicles here in Cali that have to abide by more stricter emissions controls. And Guess What?

Currently, 16 other states have either adopted, or are in the process of adopting, California's strict emissions standards

So, before you slap on that pretty Noise Maker Intake that someone recommends to you and the Vendors are happy to sell you, you should Check to see if that is Legal in your State.
Or you can be in for a rude awakening, when upon a Vehicle Inspection, you can be ticketed for a Illegal Modification which requires it's removal.

Also that Dezod Green Header you Recommended is Not C.A.R.B. Legal. I spoke to Chris @ Dezod. He Verified that fact.
How about your Tanabe Medalion exhaust? "I don't know what my hp numbers are, but the car accelerates much easier and pulls harder. It's much more fun to drive and sounds great".
What do your Dyno-Test Show Before and After? How much Hp gain? You Don't Know, Do You? Because you are using the "feel by your seat measurement" AKA "butt-dyno".

Who's paying for Overpriced Parts? Any so-call Performance Parts that cost you money and Do Not Produce Independent, Verifiable, Measurable Results.
Like your $160 Injen SRI and your Agency or Other Lightweight Pulleys. What do your Dyno-Test Show Before and After? How much Hp gain? You Don't Know, Do You?

You'll see plenty of dyno charts from companies that sell pulleys claiming nice power gains from pulley installs, but take it all with a grain of salt..

Also Many Tuners consider the Lightweight Pulleys a Waste of Money. Some say can harm your Engine.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sci...1b85ec6274.jpg

Thinking about buying a lightweight front pulley? READ THIS!

We don't see eye to eye on this stuff but I'm glad you like your overpriced parts lol.. Keep 'drizzlin' with your drizzoh-mobile and your 'highly accurate' "butt-dyno" opinions.

MR_LUV

MasterZ 09-26-2018 06:11 PM

Check out Orange Virus Tuning once you get all the breathing mods in. (Intake, header s-pipe, catback, etc.)
You'll get the most out of the mods with a tune. Even stock. The OVTune is the best bang for the buck. Even more than the legendary TRD intake. LOL