Notices
Scion tC 2G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Release Series 8.0. Throwout Bearing $300?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 12:24 AM

Default Release Series 8.0. Throwout Bearing $300?!?!

My RS 8.0 is still under drivetrain warranty.

The clutch has started to slip

I bought the car used and have only put 10k miles on it (it has 47k total). I suspect the previous owner abused the clutch. (I have put over 200k miles on manual cars and this is the first clutch I've ever needed to replace).

I am not sure whether I should replace the clutch with an OEM clutch kit to preserve the warranty, or go with an aftermarket clutch kit.

OEM Clutch kit: $680
ACT Clutch Kit: ~$300

The guy at the parts department at the local Toyota dealer said that the throwout bearing alone costs $300. He said that since the car is a Release Series, the throwout bearing is super heavy duty or something.

Any information you all have on the RS 8.0 and whether it has a different clutch than a typical tC would be incredibly helpful.

Thanks

Last edited by MR_LUV; 12-13-2017 at 09:34 PM.
Old 02-06-2017, 09:36 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's the same part as any 2AR-FE Manual like the Camary. The problem is there are no aftermarket ones they are all OEM, the most expensive part is pulling the trans out of the car.
Mine failed around 50k and i have put another 40k on it since. There are a few guys that put over 150k on the stock clutch so i see no reason to go aftermarket unless your Forced Induction.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 12-13-2017 at 09:33 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-13-2017, 09:25 PM

I doubt a simple clutch release bearing is a special part. I wasn't able to find a variant for that in the parts catalog. I guess I could be wrong, but I think carbinefreak is right.
Old 12-14-2017, 02:19 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

He destroyed that clutch I’m at 130k with zero sign of wear. Just use the same kit on a standard Scion tC of that year. It’s all the same. Don’t get aftermarket clutch, I’m getting OEM again when time comes

Last edited by MR_LUV; 12-14-2017 at 04:04 AM. Reason: typo
Old 12-14-2017, 05:54 AM

Yeah. I didn't realize it was such an old thread. My oversight.
Old 12-22-2017, 02:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's okay, I actually think we need more discussion of the Throw-Out bearing here. It makes a horrible noise, even if you are easy on the car you can get the bearing noise after 25,000 miles.

The clutch though, yeah, your other owner burnt it up, maybe a new driver, or he thought he was Paul Walker and learned to 'double clutch'!

I have a 2013 regular edition, and Toyota replaced my throwout bearing under warranty since I threw a Technical Service Bulletin in their face...thanks to Freedom Penguin.

That throw out bearing is now making noise again lol, all well.

If you get the bearing replaced, definitely pay for that OEM Clutch. You may want to double check that Release Series Throwout Bearing theory. I don't see why they would give you guys a special bearing. That service adviser was just doing his job when he used that excuse in my opinion..