Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion tC 2G Drivetrain & Power (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-tc-2g-drivetrain-power-1826/)
-   -   Transmission noise? Clutch? WTF (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-tc-2g-drivetrain-power-1826/transmission-noise-clutch-wtf-207655/)

Scratch 09-18-2011 02:04 AM

Transmission noise? Clutch? WTF

So... earlier this week, while just rolling into a parking space, I turned the wheel into full lock and heard belts squealing. Thought, well this is just the newly colder weather, but now something else is going on that I have no idea...

Again, rolling along, low speed 5-10mph in a parking lot, had a car ahead of me so I just got started in 1st gear and was somewhat close to the car in front, so I pressed the clutch down and left it in first for a moment and heard a loud squealing noise. Turned around in the lot and went to an empty area, let the car roll forward and went neutral. Clutch fully down, went into second and held the clutch, light squeal but not as bad as first. Moved the stick towards first slowly and right as it hit that small "nub" damn thing screams. Tried it later, when the car was cold, when it was fully to normal temp, same thing.

What on earth can be going on? Any thoughts?

I'm going to take the car in at some point soon, but wanted to see what possible smarts are on here.

Blackedout011TC 09-18-2011 03:05 AM

Clutch throw out bearing or tranny synchros, that's just my redneck backyard diagnosis. Take it in asap or at least call the service manager and talk to them. Check the tranny gear oil asap.

Druidiron 09-18-2011 04:59 AM

^^ I was about to say bearing, but then I re-read the post. Go to the dealer with the quickness.

Scratch 09-18-2011 03:16 PM

...and of course now I need to go strip the TRD SS, and probably the K&N just to be positive there is no "easy answer" from the dealership (oh you installed X so it's that, yeah there's the issue).

This isn't the first time the car has gone in for the transmission, 1st and 2nd felt rough when it was around 1k-2k, and it ground going into 2nd, much like other folks have reported.

I swear I think this car is cursed.

NickF127 09-18-2011 03:20 PM

Oh jeeze. Hope mine doesmt start having issues too

Druidiron 09-18-2011 04:58 PM

Yup, gonna have to take it all out. I went a couple weeks ago for a rattle with my A/C fan at 40 MPH on smooth pavement. They came back in 10 minutes with my wedding ring in hand. I had lost my ring about 2 weeks prior when I was installing my TWM shifter.
Im like "I appreciate you finding my ring, but that has been lost for 2 weeks, and the noise has been there since day one of owning the car." The next response was it was my cabin air filter. I said, thats been there for 2 months, had the car for 3.

Grrrr, stealerships....

Vlad1024 09-18-2011 06:19 PM

TRD quickshifter(assuming that's what you meant) isn't your problem. If the dealer blames problems on it ask them to explain(just watch out for the fountain of ____ that comes out of their mouths); its a "dealer installed" accessory. There is no way it would cause this so don't bother taking it off.

Scratch 09-18-2011 07:14 PM

You know the TRD quickshifter isn't the problem. I know it isn't the problem. Since I didn't buy it with the car (cheaper from trdsparks, and not financed) and installed it myself, I'll be willing to bet the dealership will say it is the issue.

So, preventative measure being taken, stripping it out along with the delrin cable bushings (if I can find my oem ones), and anything else.

Scratch 09-18-2011 09:45 PM

And yes, the TRD quickshifter did almost nothing, same noise but a slightly lower pitch.

Best way I can describe it, you know how in many imports the reverse gear is a straight cut and you get that typical reverse sound when you are in gear? ..and some shops have made straight cut gear replacements for cars to get better performace vs the helical cut gears we have (I'm assuming 1st-6th on the tC are helical as well?).

Well it sounds like 1st gear has just become a straight cut, or something else in there is going wonky. No idea how soon this will get to the shop, but hopefully there will be some kind of answer.

devanb3 09-18-2011 11:01 PM

i had this issue at about 10000 miles took it in tranny needed swapped and when they got the transmission in they switched it out in one day

your car wont die on you or anything like that it has something to do with the synchronization in it im not sure what but thats what they told me no problems yet with the new one and am at about 14000

Scratch 09-19-2011 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by devanb3 (Post 3911671)
i had this issue at about 10000 miles took it in tranny needed swapped and when they got the transmission in they switched it out in one day

your car wont die on you or anything like that it has something to do with the synchronization in it im not sure what but thats what they told me no problems yet with the new one and am at about 14000

Are you @#$%ing serious? I wonder if the 6MT on this car is a new design, or if they are being used on camrys or anything else.

Vlad1024 09-19-2011 06:52 PM

It's defiantly not a completely new design. Even if the unit is unique the design of the internals is definitely the same as other transmissions toyota makes. Recycling designs is done alot in the automotive industry to reduce engineering costs. look at how small the differences are between tc1 and tc2 engines.

Scratch 09-20-2011 08:30 PM

Well I have stumped the dealership. They heard the noise I spoke of, they are trying to figure it out, and have opened a ticket/case with Toyota.

This can not be good.

devanb3 09-21-2011 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Scratch (Post 3911928)
Are you @#$%ing serious? I wonder if the 6MT on this car is a new design, or if they are being used on camrys or anything else.

i had the 6 a/t with this problem not the m/t sorry for not clarifying

Scratch 09-21-2011 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by devanb3 (Post 3913029)
i had the 6 a/t with this problem not the m/t sorry for not clarifying

That doesn't make me feel much better, if this happens with both AT and MT... blech. Oh well, hopefully they will get a diagnosis of an actual problem and not just throw parts at it until the noise goes away.

Scratch 09-21-2011 07:47 PM

Hooray! Toyota says the car is fine, the noise is totally normal, no fix attempted. Just a 60sec video taken with someone's iPhone sent to toyota.

So, can anyone else with a Manual Transmission 2011 tC go find out if while coasting in neutral around 5-10mph or so, does your transmission make a loud whirring noise if you move the shifter near 1st gear and/or into 1st gear with the clutch all the way to the floor?

Vlad1024 09-21-2011 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Scratch (Post 3913204)
Hooray! Toyota says the car is fine, the noise is totally normal, no fix attempted. Just a 60sec video taken with someone's iPhone sent to toyota.

So, can anyone else with a Manual Transmission 2011 tC go find out if while coasting in neutral around 5-10mph or so, does your transmission make a loud whirring noise if you move the shifter near 1st gear and/or into 1st gear with the clutch all the way to the floor?

I don't think my tc1 makes that sound but my friend's f350 does. It's the synchros spinning the main shaft of the transmission to speed for the new gear. IDK how loud they should be though but if toyota says it's fine I wouldn't worry.

Scratch 09-22-2011 01:01 PM

I drive in traffic every day, and only this past week have I been able to hear this. The techs said it didn't sound normal but they have to go by what Toyota says.

Sad how my '05 xB didn't have issues like this. My luck I got a tC that was built late friday afternoon, or first thing monday morning.

Druidiron 09-22-2011 01:39 PM

Scratch, mine does this too. I don't think as loud as yours, but it definitly sounds alot like the reverse gear if I am coasting in 1st, with the clutch in. I can hear it only if the radio is ALL the way down/off. I just assumed it was a front wheel drive car "quirk". I would say mine sounds like more of a whining noise than anything else. It is not loud enough for me to be concerned (yet)...

MightyP 09-22-2011 01:50 PM

I'll do a check today. I don't generally go into 1st if the car is moving at all, so I haven't noticed.