Notices
Scion tC 2G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Transmission noise? Clutch? WTF

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 08:09 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I will be doing that in 95k miles before warranty ends thank you for the info.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:59 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I love how all the bulletins come out after my warranty is up. Such a crock of ____
Old 02-13-2013, 11:28 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by talt2008
I love how all the bulletins come out after my warranty is up. Such a crock of ____
THIS! Still searching for the bulletin number.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:22 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Does anyone have 4th gear grind? Recently I have noticed that if I shift into 4th when the RPM's are 4k or higher, it will grind. Only way it will not is if you slowly glide into 4th, but normal shifting it into 4th at 4k it will grind.

I am getting tired of going to dealers with transmission issues, all they tell me is someone will contact me because they don't know what it is...haven't heard a word since October. I am going to keep driving until it gets worse and call Scion directly and reopen my case with them, this is ridiculous.

P.S. I have 13,7xx miles.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:32 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I recently changed my tranny fluid to 2 quarts Redline MTL and 1 quart Redline Lightweight Shockproof and my grind/whining have dissapeared.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:56 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by NickF127
I recently changed my tranny fluid to 2 quarts Redline MTL and 1 quart Redline Lightweight Shockproof and my grind/whining have dissapeared.
I changed my fluid to Amsoil MTF and it is a little better but still there.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:28 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Update on the TSB. I have a print out from a dealer that was released 14th of February. Toyota recognizes this as an issue, the issue is the rear input shaft bearing. It is to be replaced with an updated part, this service calls for 8.6 hours of labor. So if you guys haven't done so, go in and have the car checked out because it will be fixed now.

Once I get a chance I will scan the print out as a reference.
Old 11-20-2013, 03:11 AM
5 Year Member

Any updates on that TSB? the dealer has had my car for 2 weeks as of today and they ordered a part from Japan (supposedly transmission fluid)
I'd love to be able to tell them a TSB # or show them a copy to get my car back and out of this loaner Prius
Old 11-20-2013, 03:24 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

PM me your E-mail and I can send you a copy of the TSB. I ended up getting a new transmission in the end.
Old 11-20-2013, 01:56 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I noticed the whine in first gear, but i thought that was normal just like the same whine in reverse gear.
the only times i go into 1st gear is when i need to start from a stop, i am going less than 5mph in stop and go traffic that barely moves, and when i enter my driveway i engage first gear from a neutral roll when below 5mph.

I also hear the whine whenever i start in first and get on the gas and then press the clutch in to coast to a stop sign while in first (a few meters away).

I saw your video russiankid, and it sounds like a different noise, but that may just be audio. does it sound like a whine?

I am hoping i do not have to go replace any transmissions...in case all 2nd gen have an actual problem from factory.

Last edited by Newman; 11-20-2013 at 02:11 PM.
Old 11-21-2013, 01:20 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Your whine is perfectly normal, the noise I had and some others is different from a whine.
Old 11-21-2013, 01:27 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by russiankid
Your whine is perfectly normal, the noise I had and some others is different from a whine.
yeah, I tried doing what you did in your video but noticed no difference in noise with clutch pressed in at neutral or out. or when clutch is pressed in and shifted to first gear when standing.

yours did sound very odd. did you think it was a bearing going bad? did the dealers ever figure it out?
Old 11-21-2013, 01:57 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Newman
yeah, I tried doing what you did in your video but noticed no difference in noise with clutch pressed in at neutral or out. or when clutch is pressed in and shifted to first gear when standing.

yours did sound very odd. did you think it was a bearing going bad? did the dealers ever figure it out?
It is the rear input shaft bearing. Once it was replaced, the noise went away for a few thousand miles then came back. The dealer that tore my trans apart did not reassembly it correctly. The trans ended up chewing itself up which is why I got a new one.
Old 11-21-2013, 02:01 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow, i know trans has a ton of details but they should have assembled it correctly if they had experienced tech working on your car. i hope you got the new trans for free

thanks for the info on that bearing. now i can point fingers if i start hearing anything weird.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:17 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sorry to bump an old thread. My transmission noise hasover the past year gotten MUCH MUCH louder, the gear oil helped a lot at first, but the noise started getting bad again. The whining was in every gear.
The shop at the dealer is working on it right now-- under warranty. I briefly talked to the rep on the phone today and she said it was caused by bad bearings. I will try and talk to the mechanic when I go bacck to get it later this week and will elt you know exactly what was wrong with my car.
For reference, I have 55k miles on my baby now and for any of you having the problem still or is getting a little worse--- it just keeps getting louder! Go to Toyota before 60k!

Anyway the dealer is putting in a new clutch for me for no labor because they are in there, probably overkill but it'll save me 800 bucks in labor for a while longer.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

She's right. That's what the problem has been for most others. Bad bearings.
Old 06-03-2015, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by NickF127
Sorry to bump an old thread. My transmission noise hasover the past year gotten MUCH MUCH louder, the gear oil helped a lot at first, but the noise started getting bad again. The whining was in every gear.
The shop at the dealer is working on it right now-- under warranty. I briefly talked to the rep on the phone today and she said it was caused by bad bearings. I will try and talk to the mechanic when I go bacck to get it later this week and will elt you know exactly what was wrong with my car.
For reference, I have 55k miles on my baby now and for any of you having the problem still or is getting a little worse--- it just keeps getting louder! Go to Toyota before 60k!

Anyway the dealer is putting in a new clutch for me for no labor because they are in there, probably overkill but it'll save me 800 bucks in labor for a while longer.
Same with me, I changed the bearing at 31K back in December 2014, now less than 10k miles after the sound its coming back again, no as loud as the first time, but it's getting more noticeable with time. I took it a couple of days back and they told me to leave the car, so I did, then they called me saying it was normal. BS, I told the guy how is that normal when it's is the same noise it had and you guys replaced the bearing and the noise was gone, now it's back again. He gave all this stupid excuses and I kept it cool telling him alright, I'll get the car. I called the corporation yesterday, they opened a file case, let's see how this end.
Old 06-03-2015, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by russiankid
PM me your E-mail and I can send you a copy of the TSB. I ended up getting a new transmission in the end.
They changed the bearing on mine back in December 2014 with no problem. Noise was gone, now less than 10k after the repair noise coming back again, took it to them, I had to leave the car at the dealer. They called the next day saying that they needed more time with the car, that it seemed to be the clotch. 30 minutes later he called me saying that it was all normal hahaha, that sport cars do that, I told him that's not a sport car, and that's not normal, you guys fixed it back in December, now it's normal? He came back with the othe Classic answer from dealers, we tested 3 new Scion tC they all did the same noise, I told him that was not true, to let me in in those cars and see by myself, he ran out of excuses, so I told him alright, I'll get my car. Next day I called Toyota, they opened a case file, let's see how it goes. I'm very disappointed at this car, I don't think I am ever buying from Toyota again. Those good times are gone, I had a 94 celica with 297k automatic before it died. Now that was a car
Old 06-23-2015, 06:59 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

does anyone still have a copy of the TSB?
Old 07-30-2015, 05:33 AM

Default Possible problem

Not 100 % if we have the same problem but I was talking to a guy I use to work with at toyota and there seems to be a problem with the 2nd generation tc input shaft bearing. There have been a lot of people bringing in their TCs for transmission noise. Most mechanics diagnosed it as a throw out bearing but fail to fix the problem. Unfortunately for me the only one person in my area has actauly fixed the problem and it's the input shaft bearing which is pretty much what allows the main gear shaft to turn and you have to open the transmission to fix it. It's actually only a 30 dollar part but not something you want to mess with if you are not experienced with transmissions. From what I heard toyota is thinking about doing a recall on that part but unfortunately this isn't something you want to wait to fix. If the bearing ceases up completely it will bore a hole in your transmission and then well... you'll have to get a new one. Anyway hope that your problem isn't a server

Quick Reply: Transmission noise? Clutch? WTF