boost spiking!!, need help, pros are insisted to advise

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 05:45 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default boost spiking!!, need help, pros are insisted to advise

descendant turbocharged tc2.
running at 8 psi

broke in the motor and turbo for a good 1500 miles.
come tuning day, the people at benchmark tuning(the only people who have touched my car, they know it head to toe and are perfectionists. seriously these guys are good)

boost is set to 8 psi, HOWEVER

it spikes
2nd gear: upto 9 psi, no more(not too bad)
3rd gear: upto 12 psi(motor can handle it but thats still pushing it.)
4th gear: upto 16 psi (there she blows)
5th and 6th, too scared to even see what happens there

when i boost, i just watch the boost gauge and let go of the gas when it hits 8-9 psi regardless of gear.

i need some advice, why is it doing this?

i am currently running a Tial Recirculating BOV with an 8 psi spring installed and all the other parts are from descendant's kit. should i have just kept the bosch diverter valve? should i use an atmospheric BOV?(been recommended not to by many so i havent) for about a week i used a Turbosmart blow off valve that was 50/50 recirculating/atmospheric, but i experienced realllllly low idle and the engine seemed to die as well.

also, my tc seems to die rarely but it still happens when i brake kinda hard in neutral or in a high gear, why is that?

any advice would help. all the ptuning descendant and dezod people, hope you guys can help me out. also, at benchmark tuning, they had one of my buddies tc2, the automatic dezod turbo tc, and his boost was set to 9.5 psi, but he was spiking upto 12 psi in 3rd and 4th gear. any advice?

the guys at descendant told me their kit was designed to run with a cat and stock exhaust, but i asked the guys at benchmark and they said that did not sound right at all. im LOST!
Old 08-03-2012, 06:47 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

What type of exhaust are you using?

PM me for my cell and I can explain everything through some texts.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:57 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mytcissex
descendant turbocharged tc2.
running at 8 psi

broke in the motor and turbo for a good 1500 miles.
come tuning day, the people at benchmark tuning(the only people who have touched my car, they know it head to toe and are perfectionists. seriously these guys are good)

boost is set to 8 psi, HOWEVER

it spikes
2nd gear: upto 9 psi, no more(not too bad)
3rd gear: upto 12 psi(motor can handle it but thats still pushing it.)
4th gear: upto 16 psi (there she blows)
5th and 6th, too scared to even see what happens there

when i boost, i just watch the boost gauge and let go of the gas when it hits 8-9 psi regardless of gear.

i need some advice, why is it doing this?

i am currently running a Tial Recirculating BOV with an 8 psi spring installed and all the other parts are from descendant's kit. should i have just kept the bosch diverter valve? should i use an atmospheric BOV?(been recommended not to by many so i havent) for about a week i used a Turbosmart blow off valve that was 50/50 recirculating/atmospheric, but i experienced realllllly low idle and the engine seemed to die as well.

also, my tc seems to die rarely but it still happens when i brake kinda hard in neutral or in a high gear, why is that?

any advice would help. all the ptuning descendant and dezod people, hope you guys can help me out. also, at benchmark tuning, they had one of my buddies tc2, the automatic dezod turbo tc, and his boost was set to 9.5 psi, but he was spiking upto 12 psi in 3rd and 4th gear. any advice?

the guys at descendant told me their kit was designed to run with a cat and stock exhaust, but i asked the guys at benchmark and they said that did not sound right at all. im LOST!
I hear you on the engine stall...mind you I am not tuned, and I know I am running very rich at the moment. Are you running a turbo controller? If so put in a lighter spring and controll it to be at higher boost. Should solve your issue. The spring I had in before was putting out 9psi at about 4k rpm in 4th gear. I think it was a .5 bar at the time. I've since gone to .3bar spring and controlling it to 7psi and have not had a problem since.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:57 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nice members on a nice site, good to see fellows helping eachother out.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:28 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Should be no excuse from any tuner to have a car stall.. at all. I just talked to the OP on the phone, but for other readers, I will just go over it. You should NOT REMOVE the CAT from your exhaust set-up or you will have boost creep issues. The catalytic converter allows you to have much-needed back-pressure for the waste-gate on the exhaust manifold. Remove the catalytic converter, and you lose your back pressure. The way the manifold-wastegate combo is designed, the wastegate will only relieve the excess exhaust from the FRONT TWO PIPES and not the REAR TWO PIPES if you remove your catalytic converter and back-pressure. The exhaust from the rear two pipes will go directly back into the turbo causing boost creeps at high RPM and gear. Major boost creep. A boost controller will not help... You have two options.

1. Add a secondary wastegate to the CENTER of the manifold to allow more exhaust to vent.
2. Reinstall your catalytic converter.

As to the stalling issues, that is going to be your MAP VOLTAGE. I will send you the map for your tuner. For me, I am always 14.7 under 3,000 RPM and when I'm out of boost.. no exceptions. Maybe 14.9, 14.5, etc. It doesn't vary, that's very dangerous.

You have my number, let me know if you have any questions. Here's my thread for further reference.

http://www.newscionxb.com/123-2nd-ge...ld-thread.html
Old 08-03-2012, 07:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Did it do this before you got it tuned? And what does the tuning place say? Do you not have the Cat on your car?
Old 08-03-2012, 07:44 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Lex-M
Did it do this before you got it tuned? And what does the tuning place say? Do you not have the Cat on your car?
It has everything to do with the exhaust. The way the manifold is designed with the tial wastegate causes boost-creeps when you remove the catalytic converter on the exhaust.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by RJSCION
It has everything to do with the exhaust. The way the manifold is designed with the tial wastegate causes boost-creeps when you remove the catalytic converter on the exhaust.
I totaly agree. I looked over your build (very nice by the way), I just didn't see where he said he had no Cat, or after market exaust.
I'm also interested in how he has a blown motor(two destroyed pistons) april 27, but bought the car in Feb.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:40 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Lex-M
I totaly agree. I looked over your build (very nice by the way), I just didn't see where he said he had no Cat, or after market exaust.
I'm also interested in how he has a blown motor(two destroyed pistons) april 27, but bought the car in Feb.

Thank you very much! Yeah, I actually missed the blown motor part.. that's a tune issue, along with the boost-creep... Literally, it's ALL IN THE TUNE. Period. It took my six different tuners before I found one I liked. I'm sending him my MAP Voltage tomorrow, which should solve his idle issue along with any odd issues while shifting. I REALLY did not want to put my catalytic converter back on though.. I aboslutely love my new exhaust.. so we thought up the double waste-gate idea. But I already warned him, if you're going to weld onto the manifold...... the welder has to be absolutely amazing.
Old 08-04-2012, 04:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

the waste gate is known to creep. are you running a boost controler and is it spiking on the dynos map sensor or are you going off the gauge you have.
Old 08-04-2012, 02:31 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by creamyxb2
the waste gate is known to creep. are you running a boost controler and is it spiking on the dynos map sensor or are you going off the gauge you have.

The wastegate is known to creep? No it isn't. The MANIFOLD is known to cause boost creeps when you remove back-pressure. But does that make it okay? No, it certainly does not. Does mine creep? No. Because I fixed it. A boost controller won't fix his issue, I am almost certain. The gauge will be just as accurate also. It's not okay to have boost creep, he needs to fix it or he'll continue to blow pistons.
Old 08-04-2012, 02:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

The waste gate is know to creep on this kit. Due to the manifold and wastegate combo. I've seen people fab a bigger wastegate fix the problem. If he is running a boost controler and it is hooked up wrong it can make it not contol anything. Check to see if the lines are ran right to the wastegate.
Old 08-04-2012, 03:19 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by creamyxb2
The waste gate is know to creep on this kit. Due to the manifold and wastegate combo. I've seen people fab a bigger wastegate fix the problem. If he is running a boost controler and it is hooked up wrong it can make it not contol anything. Check to see if the lines are ran right to the wastegate.

I agree with that. Check the lines... BUT, I don't think he'd have the lines messed up... but who knows. Also, fabricating a bigger wastegate is a pretty big hassle. You have to bore the manifold outlet, it's too small to house a larger wastegate (trust me, I tried). If you're NOT going to put your catalytic converter back and want a solution, I would fabricate a SECOND wastegate in the center of the manifold.

EDIT: Actually, I KNOW he won't have the lines messed up. He stated that the boost held in two of his gears... It would have spiked out of control the moment he floored it.
Old 08-05-2012, 01:38 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Should be no excuse from any tuner to have a car stall.. at all. I just talked to the OP on the phone, but for other readers, I will just go over it. You should NOT REMOVE the CAT from your exhaust set-up or you will have boost creep issues. The catalytic converter allows you to have much-needed back-pressure for the waste-gate on the exhaust manifold. Remove the catalytic converter, and you lose your back pressure. The way the manifold-wastegate combo is designed, the wastegate will only relieve the excess exhaust from the FRONT TWO PIPES and not the REAR TWO PIPES if you remove your catalytic converter and back-pressure. The exhaust from the rear two pipes will go directly back into the turbo causing boost creeps at high RPM and gear. Major boost creep. A boost controller will not help... You have two options.

1. Add a secondary wastegate to the CENTER of the manifold to allow more exhaust to vent.
2. Reinstall your catalytic converter.

As to the stalling issues, that is going to be your MAP VOLTAGE. I will send you the map for your tuner. For me, I am always 14.7 under 3,000 RPM and when I'm out of boost.. no exceptions. Maybe 14.9, 14.5, etc. It doesn't vary, that's very dangerous.

You have my number, let me know if you have any questions. Here's my thread for further reference.

http://www.newscionxb.com/123-2nd-ge...ld-thread.html
So if you keep the stock exhaust you will not have boost creep issues? im about 2 months away from buying the kit but im terrified of the boost spike!
Old 08-05-2012, 01:52 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by yardleyTC
So if you keep the stock exhaust you will not have boost creep issues? im about 2 months away from buying the kit but im terrified of the boost spike!
The cat is part of the manifold on the tC2, so if you go turbo kit you will lose the cat as the new manifold doesn't come with one. Unless there is someone that has a cat built on the their turbo manifold that I don't know of.
Old 08-05-2012, 04:06 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Frost
The cat is part of the manifold on the tC2, so if you go turbo kit you will lose the cat as the new manifold doesn't come with one. Unless there is someone that has a cat built on the their turbo manifold that I don't know of.

Uh... I am almost certain you have two catalytic converters and we are NOT talking about the one in the engine bay...
Old 08-05-2012, 05:37 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Uh... I am almost certain you have two catalytic converters and we are NOT talking about the one in the engine bay...
Thats what i thought..... that there were two as part of the exhaust? ill just keep the exhaust stock to be safe
Old 08-05-2012, 11:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

How about buy a different kit? Is that not an option? You should not have to modify anything to get it to work (ie, secondary wastegate). It should have worked correctly from the beginning. Also, if i were Descendant, i probably would wash my hands of this as you stated you replaced the BOV and customized it. They build these kits and test with their parts. As soon as you start changing things, you probably will run into issues and they can deny responsibility. Good luck man.
Old 08-05-2012, 03:44 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by scionchicop
How about buy a different kit? Is that not an option? You should not have to modify anything to get it to work (ie, secondary wastegate). It should have worked correctly from the beginning. Also, if i were Descendant, i probably would wash my hands of this as you stated you replaced the BOV and customized it. They build these kits and test with their parts. As soon as you start changing things, you probably will run into issues and they can deny responsibility. Good luck man.
i could buy any of the kits i guess, but i was worried about running 9.5lbs of boost as a dd. but i guess id rather that than have boost creep. you had any issues with your kit?
Old 08-05-2012, 04:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You're not boosting all the time, so 9.5 lbs is not a big deal. Unless you choose to boost at every take off or whatever. No issues at all so far (knocked on wood). I'm biased because i have the Dezod kit but also would have purchased the P-tuning kit had they stuck with their initial release date.

Quick Reply: boost spiking!!, need help, pros are insisted to advise