Notices
Scion tC 2G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications

Forced Induction Options

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 05:51 AM

Default Forced Induction Options

So... I haven't done as much research as I'd like, but I'm just going to ask and accept the ridicule. Is there no other option than a turbo? I hate turbos on general principles. Has nobody produced a roots type blower for my car? Has nobody even said ____ it and converted a turbo to a centrifugal supercharger? WHY? Okay, really just whining at this point.

In any case, I love AutoX and was hoping to make my start time a little better, but kind of iffy on the turbo. I've never used a turbo on a previous car, and I'm not even entirely certain where to begin. I know I need enough money to fill a small European country to set one up, but I want to do it right, not ____ around and blow up my motor. Anybody willing to give me a rundown of the essential parts to start with? I know I'm going to have to overhaul my intake and exhaust, but I'm not really clear on what it takes to make the turbo a reliable option. This is also my daily driver and I don't need it breaking down on me every other week.

I'd appreciate a lack of ridicule, but if it is necessary, bring it on.
Old 04-19-2018, 01:02 AM
SL Member

I can't answer your questions about doing anything other than a turbo kit. But in regards to the turbo kit, if you want to do it right, look to spend at least 8 grand on parts alone, not including installation. At the very least you will need:
- Turbo kit (there's Dezod and one other I believe)
- Performance clutch
- Gauges (Minimum: wideband air/fuel and mechanical boost/vacuum)
- Performance exhaust system
- Spark plugs - 1 step colder

On top of that you'll be buying all sorts of little things like hoses, clamps, zipties, the correct blowoff valve spring, optional fuel pump upgrade, paint if you want to make the pipes pretty, motor oil because you're not going to be using 0w-20 ever again, I recommend a dash cam if you're going to be driving fast (i assume so), etc. All that stuff adds up, believe me.

If you're lucky you have some gearhead friends who can help you with the install, otherwise that can get expensive as well. The clutch alone is an 8 hour job and the turbo kit and everything else will take at least a few days of solid work.

You'll become obsessed with it and end up spending far more money then you planned to in the beginning. Trust me, haha.
Old 04-19-2018, 01:14 AM
SL Member

P.S. I'm sure I have over 15 grand in mine, and that's WITH having gearhead friends helping or doing the installs.
Old 04-25-2018, 07:36 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Dikata, the basic Dezod kit is a great place to start. It's $4700 with the AEM tuner and base tune. Would be worth it to have a shop tune after install just to make sure you're in a good place as every vehicle is a little different. With a mild tune (honestly, why bother with a mild tune) the stock clutch will be able to handle it for a while, but constant beating on it at the track will kill it fast. I would look into a stage 1 minimum for ~300hp, but likely will be safer with a stage 2.

Dezod kit: Scion tC 11-14 Turbo Kit

2014, howwwwwwww did you spend that much? Lol. Did you build the motor too?
Old 05-01-2018, 12:53 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by drizzoh
2014, howwwwwwww did you spend that much? Lol. Did you build the motor too?
A lot of stuff that went on came off and all of the little things add up.