Notices
Scion tC 2G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Alpine Head Unit Defect

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 11:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SCION CORP
SL Member

Originally Posted by MightyP
Thought I'd do one better than post part numbers... Hopefully Scion Canada can help Scion USA figure this out. Thanks for any help you can provide.
Hmm... From what I can see, that is the correct head unit for a tC2. Let me see what I can find out. I'm wondering if there is something up with the external amp that drives the 6x9s?
Old 01-12-2011, 04:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Dealer called me back today and said Toyota called them. Apparently the left 6x9 is designed to act as the sub-woofer where the right 6x9 is only supposed to be for mid-range. When I asked why the car was designed with 2 fully functioning 6x9 speakers but Toyota decided to only really use one, the manager who called couldn't give me an answer.

Not really satisified with the explanation, but not sure who I'd call next. Please keep us posted on what your dealers tell you. Maybe we can see if they at least keep their story straight... :?
Old 01-12-2011, 09:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sounds like some BS to me. The demographic that the Scion brand targets would definitely prefer the bass output of both 6x9's.

I'm heading to my dealer tomorrow morning to get some accessories installed so I'll run it by them.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The standard Pioneer head unit does not have this problem right? I am not buying that explanation either, it's down right insulting. I am to the point I am extremely unhappy with this "upgrade". Guess I will see what my dealer has to say.
Just a thought, could it have something to with the Nav. system using the left channel?
Old 01-13-2011, 09:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Blackedout011TC
The standard Pioneer head unit does not have this problem right? I am not buying that explanation either, it's down right insulting. I am to the point I am extremely unhappy with this "upgrade". Guess I will see what my dealer has to say.
Just a thought, could it have something to with the Nav. system using the left channel?
From what I understand, only the Alpine HU has the issue. And at this point, I'm not ruling anything out.

From what I can gather, the different vehicle modes on the Alpine HU are to compensate for the different number and size of speakers in the different cars. And that makes sense to me. But if that were the case, it would seem like the tC should be a 7-speaker system instead of an 8-speaker system, with the 2 6x9s being replaced with a sub-woofer. Which would also make sense to me.

I'm really thinking this is a design flaw. One that is easy to make. Scion considers a sub for the tC, Alpine hears it and adjusts the HU accordingly, Scion changes their mind and Alpine doesn't get the word. It's not real obvious there is an issue, so when everything is assembled and tested, no one notices. Given the other quirks (ie - 1 reverse light), someone in management makes an assumption and all of a sudden, the tC was "DESIGNED" this way.

You'd be surprised how often a sub-contractor either doesn't get the word or gets the wrong one and something like this happens. Then, depending on the cost to fix it, it becomes a battle of who made the mistake.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The Toyota body shop I went to was useless with regards to this mistake and they simply referred me to service...which was slammed that day. I won't be able to get a dealer opinion until I go in for my 5000 mile service (I'm at 4300 now, so very soon).

I have actually grown quite content with xD mode, however. After trying it at Blackedout's suggestion, I totally agree. Sound quality and bass reproduction are actually decent. You need to turn the volume up to the low 50s to get loud (as opposed to 40s in tC and Flat mode), but when it's up there, the sound is clean.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SCION CORP
SL Member

Just to update everyone, we are going to install the Alpine HU in one of our tC testers this afternoon to confirm that we can reproduce the low output of the passenger-side speaker.

After that we determine the next steps... communicate with our partners in Cali at TMS, and maybe with Alpine directly.

I'll keep you all posted.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:30 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

"MADE IN MEXICO"
Old 01-14-2011, 06:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks Scion Canada, very much appreciated. I have changed every setting, pushed every button on the head unit. I always end up with the same result. No right 6x9 in Tc mode, it works in other modes but overall output is greatly reduced.
MightyP I agree with you 100%. It was a simple mistake or program issue that was overlooked.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Scion Canada
Just to update everyone, we are going to install the Alpine HU in one of our tC testers this afternoon to confirm that we can reproduce the low output of the passenger-side speaker.

After that we determine the next steps... communicate with our partners in Cali at TMS, and maybe with Alpine directly.

I'll keep you all posted.
I've said this before and I'll say it again...

Thank you.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm trying the chat feature on Scion's website. Not holding my breath the people on there will be a wealth of info, but can't knock until I've tried it.
Old 01-15-2011, 12:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SCION CORP
SL Member

Sorry for the lack of updates guys, Friday was a busy day... Hit some road bumps trying to install the Alpine HU - I thought I had one handy, but it was the previous iteration that wouldn't have the new tC sound profile. By the time I realized, it was too late to get one from the parts warehouse...

I will do my best to get this looked at Monday morning.

Thanks for your patience
Colin
Old 01-15-2011, 11:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No rush. I really just appreciate you're willingness to work the issue.

The online chat thing with Scion didn't provide any help (no real surprise), so my next option is to force my dealer to start replacing random things. The answer continues to be "it's supposed to be that way" but no one has been able to provide anything in writing.
Old 01-16-2011, 02:00 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok, I'm trying to figure this out, my car is totallly the opposite problem of every one elses. My driver's side speaker sounds weak and my passenger side pumps hard. sooo hard actually that my door rattles quite badly. even with the base in the negative. what the hell is wrong with my car?
Old 01-16-2011, 02:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Do you have the 'Loudness' function enabled? It makes the bass very strong. Too strong in fact because all it does is distort.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Nec_Tc
Ok, I'm trying to figure this out, my car is totallly the opposite problem of every one elses. My driver's side speaker sounds weak and my passenger side pumps hard. sooo hard actually that my door rattles quite badly. even with the base in the negative. what the hell is wrong with my car?
I assuming you have the Alpine Head Unit, rather than the Pioneer.

- What vehicle mode is your stereo in?
- Is loud mode turned on or off?
- Are the stereo speakers centered?
Old 01-17-2011, 04:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SCION CORP
SL Member

Hi All,

I took a trip to the Vehicle Processing Centre this morning to test out a tC with the Alpine Audio upgrade, and brought along our audio/electrical engineer. We were able to confirm that there is most definitely a discrepancy in the frequencies being transmitted to the two "woofers" with the Alpine HU set to the tC profile.

The next steps will be to contact Alpine and TMS to see if they can confirm whether this as an issue or an intended characteristic of the tC sound profile.

I'll let you know what I find out.

Colin
Old 01-17-2011, 05:00 PM

Hi All,

I took a trip to the Vehicle Processing Centre this morning to test out a tC with the Alpine Audio upgrade, and brought along our audio/electrical engineer. We were able to confirm that there is most definitely a discrepancy in the frequencies being transmitted to the two "woofers" with the Alpine HU set to the tC profile.

The next steps will be to contact Alpine and TMS to see if they can confirm whether this as an issue or an intended characteristic of the tC sound profile.

Colin
You sir are both a gentleman and a scholar.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hi All,

Colin
Thanks again for working this and I very much hope you don't find out it's "an intended characteristic of the tC sound profile." Perhaps if it is, we can complain enough for Alpine/Scion to change their idea of how to use "subs"

I called Alpine tech support today and got a message to the effective of "Today is Friday, Jan 14th, and we will be in a meeting until 4pm. Please call back after that. Thanks." [click] Guess the meeting went VERY long. :? I shall try again tomorrow...
Old 01-20-2011, 08:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Got a call from the customer relations lady at my dealer today. She got a message from Toyota/Scion corporate today with my complaint about the radio. I don't think I ever called anyone at Toyota, so my chat with the Scion guys on their website must have gotten things rolling.

I find it interesting the story changed from "we were told it's the way the radio is designed" from the maintenance dept to "it shouldn't be like that" from customer relations. Here's hoping something gets fixed.

And for those of you who aren't getting good answers from your dealer, contacting corporate really does work.

Quick Reply: Alpine Head Unit Defect