Notices
Scion tC 2G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Gauge Cluster Needle Broke

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 02:12 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Gauge Cluster Needle Broke

I'm trying to see if anyone knows where I can get a replacement needle for the RPM Gauge?

If one can't be found, will I have to buy the whole Gauge cluster then?

Reason it broke was because I was trying to do the gauge cluster LED swap and took the needle and tried to remove the orange tint/paint, and the piece keeps falling down when placed on the cluster. I put it on zero and it stays. Afterwards, it falls down and I can't see the correct RPM, so I have to pay attention to my speed limit all the time.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:16 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm not sure I understand. Does the needle physically fall off of the pin? Does it stay on the gauge and just wont move?

If it wont move from zero you may have spun then needle while removing it. Put your cluster in the car, and go two clicks forward on the ignition, but do not start the car. This will cause the gauges to sweep from zero to max and back to zero. With the car still off you can now install your needles at zero. If you screwed up the fuel gauge too you'll have to wait till you fill your tank completely to the top.
Old 08-11-2013, 02:24 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I removed the backing from the needle, so that I could fully remove the whole needle itself and now the when I place the needle on the zero it will still move from zero to 8k rpm i think or whatever is the highest rpm. After that, the needle will just drop below the zero and just lay on the dial which controls the brightness. It will still move up when pushing the throttle and everything but it just won't stay on the zero. Keeps falling down.

I'll give that a try and see if it works and let you know. Thanks for the help.
Old 08-11-2013, 02:26 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

When I say fall off, I mean it goes below the zero. The needle is still intact with the cluster.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:08 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I zeroed out the gauge for rpm and placed the needle back in and the needle fell down to below the zero again.

I will have to prob replace it.

Any idea on how much the whole cluster would cost? I'm haven't been able to find just the needle itself. I did find a cluster on ebay for 105 that is used.