Notices
Scion tC 2G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

bricked my BeSpoke system

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2022, 05:10 AM
SL Member

Default bricked my BeSpoke system

Not totally bricked, but currently have only AM/FM radio (including HD FM) and probably CD. Lost phone integration, Bluetooth, and Nav.

I tried to update from the v13 firmware to v14 in accordance with the pdf I attached. It got to step 9 of the procedure, I believe I saw 8 of 8 completed, but then it did not continue to step 10. Instead, a message popped up that did not stay long enough to read. I caught something about "USB ejected" but not the rest of it. It then went to this screen, and has stuck there for days.

If i remove the USB drive, I get this screen. It is as if the operation did not complete and now it is stuck in update mode.

How can I fix this? My last resort would be to get a replacement system from a junkyard but how will I know if that one includes BeSpoke + Nav? (I am not interested in an aftermarket unit project).
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
MC-10111396-9999.pdf (2.05 MB, 69 views)
Old 03-07-2022, 11:58 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'd try another download. The first one may have been corrupted. I'd also check whether your USB drive meets minimum size requirements (according to the link in the pdf) and whether it should be formatted as NTFS or FAT32.
Old 03-10-2022, 04:39 AM
SL Member

Thank you, how do I get the update process to start over though? It seems to be stuck where it is now.

I also bought the USB with the files already loaded onto it, from Toyota TIS partner Bosch.

Last edited by sestivers; 03-10-2022 at 06:39 AM.
Old 03-10-2022, 10:09 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I see. I guess that eliminates potential incorrect/ incompatible format and or USB.

Did you try cajoling another USB from Toyota, considering the first one seems to be defective?
Old 03-11-2022, 11:59 AM
SL Member

I've been meaning to call them for some help, not easy with my work schedule at the moment and the one number I tried so far referred me over to Techstream support (which I haven't gotten to yet, but am not expecting that to be helpful). We'll see.
Old 03-11-2022, 11:02 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, as mentioned, do another download and verify checksums of downloaded file to make sure it came down OK.
Also check specs of USB stick, type5, type10, etc. whatever matches requirements of unit.
And format USB according to what it expects.
Old 03-12-2022, 01:01 AM
SL Member

Thanks, Danno - I recognize ya from all over the TN forum.
I wouldn't know how to do all that, I ordered the pre-loaded USB from this site that is linked in the Scion TSB I attached. Shoulda been good to go. I would have to buy a day pass to TIS to try a my own download, right? I don't know how to get the unit to "start over" in the update process either - it is dependent on you starting from a specific screen that I don't have available any more. I tried looking at the log files on the USB but don't know how to interpret them.

03034-HBEKR-15A - USB DRIVE FIRMWARE UPDATE - HARMON BECKER (service-solutions.com)
Old 03-15-2022, 02:43 AM
SL Member

I removed and reinstalled my audio head unit the other day and it now acts as though it does not have the BeSpoke+Nav module installed (it's now equivalent to the base model head unit). I have decided to live with it indefinitely. I still have "premium" sound quality via the HD FM radio stations or a CD or a MP3, and Bluetooth is restored. The BeSpoke, as far as I can tell, only added aha service, which I never used because it seems defunct. It does suck a little bit to not have Nav, because it is easier to use while driving compared to the phone, and it additionally allows you to listen to other audio sources while providing audible turn-by-turn directions. With my phone connected by Bluetooth or USB, I am restricted to only the other music or podcasts played through the phone while using Google maps.

So whatever I did, seems to have made just the upgrade module inoperable (it is about a one-inch thick box that attaches to the head unit brackets and connects to the rest of the head unit via a short wiring harness). I believe the most cost-effective repair is to get an entire replacement unit from a salvage reseller or eBay. They will become even more available down the road when there are more of these cars available in the U-pull yards. I might ask for a refund on the USB stick I purchased.
Old 03-16-2022, 12:28 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sorry to hear it didn't work out.

It's none of my business but if they refuse to refund your money, try asking for a free pass long enough to download it yourself. Good luck getting it fixed.
Old 03-16-2022, 03:40 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Look closely at box. Is there any tiny holes for hidden reset button you can press with tip of pen/pencil/paperclip?
Old 03-18-2022, 01:36 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I am very interested in this issue because I will be picking up my 2012 with navigation Monday. I hope I don't have similar problems.
Old 03-19-2022, 05:32 AM
SL Member

You're buying a new-to-you tC? Congrats. 2012 would have a different unit though, I believe the one with Nav is made by Alpine instead of Pioneer
Old 03-19-2022, 02:27 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by sestivers
You're buying a new-to-you tC? Congrats. 2012 would have a different unit though, I believe the one with Nav is made by Alpine instead of Pioneer
Sorry I didn't type in XB. Is that the same unit being discussed here?
Old 03-20-2022, 03:13 AM
SL Member

Do you know if it looks like this (this is not my photo but it is the same unit in an FRS)? The firmware update I was doing would apply only to this particular head unit.

As far as I know, it was in a few different Scions 2013-1015. It ought to be backward compatible into a 2012 xB.