Notices
Scion tC 2G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

JL Audio 10" Stealthbox Released..

Old 05-20-2012, 05:19 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

You can't go wrong with JL running 10W3 in a ported box in my car, I had a sealed but found I really like the ported better. I wish they made a stealth box that was ported, I know it would stick out a bit farther due to ported boxes being larger in size. May check the cost of doing something custom later, but don't know if I want to spend the extra money to do it as what I have now sounds extremely good, I may opt to spend money to upgrade the W3 to a W6 instead.
Old 05-21-2012, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Rob2012TC
You can't go wrong with JL running 10W3 in a ported box in my car, I had a sealed but found I really like the ported better. I wish they made a stealth box that was ported, I know it would stick out a bit farther due to ported boxes being larger in size. May check the cost of doing something custom later, but don't know if I want to spend the extra money to do it as what I have now sounds extremely good, I may opt to spend money to upgrade the W3 to a W6 instead.
Yeah I have a friend at work who used to make stereos for competitions, and he said a ported box was really the best bet as far as sound quality overall. So I am gonna have him take a look and see what he might could do with my trunk space..... but man that stealthbox would be so nice tucked into that space..... what makes it hard to get out again after install?
Old 05-21-2012, 04:12 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

the stealthbox is designed to be bolted to the side panel of the rear hatch. You have to take out the whole panel just to get the box out. IT IS A PITA! but it serves its purpose and stays put!
Old 05-22-2012, 03:23 PM

Hmm.... That's pretty permanent.... I am gonnahave to think about it..... It's just so awesome though lol
Old 05-23-2012, 11:14 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well the other take on it is a JLW3 Sub is excellent, around 250 new, plus a good ported box is 50 bucks so your looking at 300 total vs 500 for a JL Stealth box which is smaller and sealed. Is it worth 200 additional dollars to have it tucked away in the corner. For some yes, but I would rather use a little trunk space to get the deeper bass of a ported box and save the 200. Plus if the car gets wrecked or I sell it I can transfer the box to my next vehicle where the JL Stealth box I would have to sell and get something else. I like the stealth, but really prefer the sound from the ported box I am using now, the JL10W3 or 10W6 in a ported box with a JL 500/1 matched amp to it sounds incredible.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Rob2012TC
Well the other take on it is a JLW3 Sub is excellent, around 250 new, plus a good ported box is 50 bucks so your looking at 300 total vs 500 for a JL Stealth box which is smaller and sealed. Is it worth 200 additional dollars to have it tucked away in the corner. For some yes, but I would rather use a little trunk space to get the deeper bass of a ported box and save the 200. Plus if the car gets wrecked or I sell it I can transfer the box to my next vehicle where the JL Stealth box I would have to sell and get something else. I like the stealth, but really prefer the sound from the ported box I am using now, the JL10W3 or 10W6 in a ported box with a JL 500/1 matched amp to it sounds incredible.

Thanks man, I've got a friend who used to design sub boxes for competition cars and he's gonna help me out with my stereo... Thanks for the input everyone, it's been really helpful!!
Old 05-23-2012, 05:25 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Fencerguy
Thanks man, I've got a friend who used to design sub boxes for competition cars and he's gonna help me out with my stereo... Thanks for the input everyone, it's been really helpful!!
Yep he can build you a tuned box with the volume for a specific frequency to match your setup. My w3 with the jl 500/1 is amazing in a ported box I have a remote bass control on the dash to adjust on the fly to what I'm listening to... a must have pac lc1 on Sonic electronic website...

Last edited by Rob2012TC; 05-30-2012 at 08:01 PM.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:53 PM
SL Member

I posted this question on the custom sub box for the cubby area thread but haven't heard back yet.

scionchicop or PEwilly9, Does the JL Audio box gets in the way of lifting up the panel over the spare tire?

Also, scionchicop, do you have a pic of where you placed your amp? I'm thinking about using the small rectangular area just behind the spare and between the cargo trays (About 8.25" x 7.25") But there's not many mono amps that are that small. So far found just the JL XD300/1 and the RF PBR500x1 to be compact enough.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:55 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

No I doesn't, I do.t have it but I have seen it and it fits flush so you still have access to the spire
Old 06-27-2012, 11:55 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Two things I forgot to mention. 500 watts is the maximum continuous rating the JL10W3V3 is supposed to handle in the safe range, the optimal is in the 300-400 range. I'm running a JL audio 500/1 on mine and it's too much for the interior size of the TC cabin. I had to dial the gain back to about 2:00 and then I have a PAC LC1 mounted up front to fine tune the sub level to the music source I am listening to without having to go through the menu's on the head unit.

With this setup, Yep, I had to sound deaden the car. Especially that hatch and license plate. Huge difference and if you really want your system to sound GREAT tight mid bass and sub woofer base then definitely do this. Amazon.com selling bulk packs 36 Sq ft of Stinger RoadKill Expert for 99.35 a box free shipping. You can't beat that deal and it's a quality product. I used 3 boxes and a trunk pack on my car and did the entire car. I now drive a Lexus TC. Door have that solid sound shutting, much quieter interior, nothing rattles with the full force of my system and an added benefit is the car stays cooler and I can turn the ac down so I don't have to hear the fan running it on 3 or 4 all the time. It's so much nicer to drive and ride in, just spend the time and money and do it!
Old 12-19-2018, 08:06 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thread bumping.

I currently have a 13 Scion tC, with 150k miles. I installed OEM audio + at like 1,000 miles and loved it since day I had it. I did install the dynomat/ensolite/stinger roadkill everywhere in hatch and trunk back when I installed everything. I was just on Crutchfield.com and saw they had a scratch dent JL stealth box for 399, grrrr. I had to do it. I bought it, and ordered a 500 watt alpine MRV500 500 watt amp scratch dent for 135 and got another 25 dollar discount. Wiring+amp+sub=580 dollars.

It'll be here in 2 days.

Now the thing is, I love my current OEM audio system and sub, but I've always wanted just a hair more bass, going from sealed 8 inch dual coil 100watt RMS to a sealed 10 inch dual coil 500watt RMS sub is probably going to be a monster. I will definitely not have it maxed out. Just going to splice into the end of the oem audio sub wiring harness and get the bass signal from there and run the power separate.

I only paid 700 dollars for OEM audio + they had a big promotion when I did so. So that initial price + 600 dollars = I am stoked. I have 150k miles now and this will make the next 150k miles even more enjoyable.
Old 12-19-2018, 08:13 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by FreedomPenguin
Thread bumping.

I currently have a 13 Scion tC, with 150k miles. I installed OEM audio + at like 1,000 miles and loved it since day I had it. I did install the dynomat/ensolite/stinger roadkill everywhere in hatch and trunk back when I installed everything. I was just on Crutchfield.com and saw they had a scratch dent JL stealth box for 399, grrrr. I had to do it. I bought it, and ordered a 500 watt alpine MRV500 500 watt amp scratch dent for 135 and got another 25 dollar discount. Wiring+amp+sub=580 dollars.

It'll be here in 2 days.

Now the thing is, I love my current OEM audio system and sub, but I've always wanted just a hair more bass, going from sealed 8 inch dual coil 100watt RMS to a sealed 10 inch dual coil 500watt RMS sub is probably going to be a monster. I will definitely not have it maxed out. Just going to splice into the end of the oem audio sub wiring harness and get the bass signal from there and run the power separate.

I only paid 700 dollars for OEM audio + they had a big promotion when I did so. So that initial price + 600 dollars = I am stoked. I have 150k miles now and this will make the next 150k miles even more enjoyable.
Holy crap dude. I haven't been on this site in 5, almost 6 years. I've had a few cars since then. Hope you enjoy your new system though.
Old 12-23-2018, 09:14 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I installed the sub and amp. It is an absolute monster. Paired it with a MRV-M500 alpine 500mono Class D amp. that + the OEM Audio + speakers sound amazing.
Just gave away the OEM Audio sub to my friend with a tC2 who is buying an amp and using the old 8 inch sub for their car. I have 600 dollars in everything, wiring+amp+enclosure JL.

If anyone is on fence about this sub, buy it.. I would of paid full price if I had the money to burn.

It wont let me load a picture to this thread, but its nasty.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 12-24-2018 at 07:59 AM.
Old 12-26-2018, 04:53 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Dude I looooove my stealthbox. First mod I did to the tC ~3 years ago with an oem-esque bass ****. Usually keep it ~half way up (system is Pioneer hu/Focal carbon components all around/everything deadened/2 amps etc). It won't shatter windows like my 2x12's in my last car, but I just wanted a tight clean setup for this, and it's clean affff. I was going to go with oem+ but wanted more bass as well so went fully custom.
Old 12-27-2018, 05:19 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by drizzoh
Dude I looooove my stealthbox. First mod I did to the tC ~3 years ago with an oem-esque bass ****. Usually keep it ~half way up (system is Pioneer hu/Focal carbon components all around/everything deadened/2 amps etc). It won't shatter windows like my 2x12's in my last car, but I just wanted a tight clean setup for this, and it's clean affff. I was going to go with oem+ but wanted more bass as well so went fully custom.
i am am very happy w my oem stereo+ stealthbox. I am like 1400 deep in my system total, OEM Audio system + stealthbox. But worth it.when I installed OEM Audio I sound deadened entire car everywhere, dynamat extreme + Ensolite so it was quiet and rattle free.

this new sub... sounds phenomenal with all the deadening and damping,
thank god I did all that or it would probably rattle everything to death. I did it initially to reduce road noise which worked wonderfully

399 for the stealthbox+ 100 amp, 50 wiring. Worth it for this upgrade. I havnt had something to be excited about in my car in years, very happy. 5-6 years @150k now glad im not the only one blown away by it. JL made a fan of me, I will probably own an JL stealthbox for every vehicle I end up owning

Edit. I looked at your thread drizz I have the bespoke upgraded Headunit which has 6 out RCA' .I have been wanting to swap my head unit but it sounds good and works well, just want a fancier unit. I am surprised your unit did not have all the sam outputs as the 12/13 models

Last edited by FreedomPenguin; 12-27-2018 at 05:36 PM.