Notices
Scion tC 2G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Unable to adjust audio levels when using Bluetooth

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 01:14 AM
5 Year Member

Default Unable to adjust audio levels when using Bluetooth

Not sure if anyone else has run into this issue and been able to solve it.

Basically I'm now able to connect my phone (Droid Bionic) to the headunit without problems, however the I can only control the volume from the phone itself.

Initially when I change the source on headunit to bluetooth audio, I can change the volume for a very short time, but then it locks it down.

After some research some people were suggesting this was from using third party music apps, but even with the stock app it acts the same.

Any clue how to fix this?
Old 12-31-2012, 02:57 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have the same problem. ( Samsung Galaxy S3) i can fix it by turning bluetooth off on my phone then back on and it usually fixes it. i also use Spotify all the time.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:02 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by KillerXtwo
I have the same problem. ( Samsung Galaxy S3) i can fix it by turning bluetooth off on my phone then back on and it usually fixes it. i also use Spotify all the time.

Hm, thanks for the reply.

Seems really weird that Scion/Pioneer thought that forcing volume control via the phone at any time was a good idea.... Makes me wonder if there is some app that could be run to trick the car into allowing volume control via the headunit.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by ArmoredCavalry
Hm, thanks for the reply.

Seems really weird that Scion/Pioneer thought that forcing volume control via the phone at any time was a good idea.... Makes me wonder if there is some app that could be run to trick the car into allowing volume control via the headunit.
I had a similar problem, I found out that by having Third Party music players and the default music player - That they were fighting for control. Try this, go to any third party music player and go through the preferences and make sure that the option to start when Bluetooth is active is disabled or any setting like that. Or just get rid of them in general.

Using your default music player more than likely it's Google Play, is the best option because it'll give you full functionality to control the volume and pipe the id3 or id2.* tags to your HU.

Another option if you want to use Third party music players is to get Tasker and secure settings plugin and follow the instructions that i posted here, you'll need to have root though. Second to last post. *Spoiler alert* it's lengthy but when you set it up right it'll work great.

HTML Code:
http://clubsciontc.com/forums/audio-faq-help-47/bluetooth-audio-issue-cant-change-volume-46300/
Or just do what I did and ditch BT streaming and get a 16 or 32 GB Micro USB drive, works so much better.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:04 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by kcurran907
Or just do what I did and ditch BT streaming and get a 16 or 32 GB Micro USB drive, works so much better.
That's actually exactly what I ended up doing.

Got this micro drive, loaded it up with my music, and now I leave it always plugged in. It is actually even better than bluetooth streaming is, because I can just turn on the car and it picks up right where I left off. No fiddling with phone, which is nice in winter when I don't want to take off gloves anyhow.

Would highly recommend for anyone with a usb connector on their car!
Old 01-28-2013, 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by ArmoredCavalry
That's actually exactly what I ended up doing.

Got this micro drive, loaded it up with my music, and now I leave it always plugged in. It is actually even better than bluetooth streaming is, because I can just turn on the car and it picks up right where I left off. No fiddling with phone, which is nice in winter when I don't want to take off gloves anyhow.

Would highly recommend for anyone with a usb connector on their car!
HaHa that's what I have.
The sound quality is better to.!
Old 01-28-2013, 04:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My Iphone works just fine droids just suck that's your problem ahahah no problem with the head unit
Old 01-28-2013, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by o TaGGeD o
My Iphone works just fine droids just suck that's your problem ahahah no problem with the head unit
My Droid RaZr M works just fine, Where as the iPhone 5 will not even pair with my car. Pandora, TuneIn Radio and Google Play all work, they all give me Meta Data and will allow me to use the HU to control the Volume and Track Selection.

The problem actually is the HU, As the Head unit is programmed with the capability to interact with certain BT Radio Stacks. Most Stacks are Generic, but some are custom and vary by Service Providers.

Just so you know ..
Old 01-28-2013, 04:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My Droid RaZr M works just fine, Where as the iPhone 5 will not even pair with my car. Pandora, TuneIn Radio and Google Play all work, they all give me Meta Data and will allow me to use the HU to control the Volume and Track Selection.

The problem actually is the HU, As the Head unit is programmed with the capability to interact with certain BT Radio Stacks. Most Stacks are Generic, but some are custom and vary by Service Providers.

Just so you know ..
Lol I know my dealer told me when I picked it up it wasnt compatable with the iPhone 5 I've got a 4s and I was just trolling screwing around
Old 02-10-2013, 01:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I'm having this same problem but the pause flashes when playing a song instead of showing the song name or whatever else with my droid DNA. I'm not quite understanding on how to resolve this issue, can anyone help me?
Old 02-10-2013, 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by muddymike2003
I'm having this same problem but the pause flashes when playing a song instead of showing the song name or whatever else with my droid DNA. I'm not quite understanding on how to resolve this issue, can anyone help me?
This sounds like you're using a Third Party Music Player.

You would have to Freeze the Default music player, as the Default Music Player is fighting with what ever else you're using.

I recommend sticking with the Default Player.
But if you must, Root Your Phone - Get Titanium Backup and Freeze your Default music player. This will fix your problem.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:33 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

ive never had an issue with my iphone, not just using music but things like spotify or pandora ive never had an issue
Old 02-10-2013, 03:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

This sounds like you're using a Third Party Music Player.

You would have to Freeze the Default music player, as the Default Music Player is fighting with what ever else you're using.

I recommend sticking with the Default Player.
But if you must, Root Your Phone - Get Titanium Backup and Freeze your Default music player. This will fix your problem.
I think I'll just use a USB stick, I was just using whatever app came installed on my phone. There are 2 different ones, one which has downloads I bought and the other doesn't show the ones I bought, I tried deleting one but it won't let me. Looked thru all the settings but don't see anything
Old 02-10-2013, 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by muddymike2003
I think I'll just use a USB stick, I was just using whatever app came installed on my phone. There are 2 different ones, one which has downloads I bought and the other doesn't show the ones I bought, I tried deleting one but it won't let me. Looked thru all the settings but don't see anything
Yeah USB is a much better option, The default music player cannot be deleted. On your phone more than likely is Google Play or just Music. But it can be frozen - aka halted from starting, thus relinquishing control over BT Streaming to another App.

Just make sure if you use a USB, to organize your music into folders.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:33 PM
5 Year Member

Has anyone figured anything more on this issue? I would prefer to not have to use USB. I had a windows phone previously and it worked awesome with the Bluetooth audio. I recently switched back to android and am having these issues. My husband has had issues on his s2 and s4, and now my HTC one. I do not understand how an issue like this has been going on for so long with no solution still. (rooting your phone is all ive read that worked) Basically I have to pick if I want track controls but no volume with bluetooth or plug it in and have volume controls but no track controls(but do have the added benefit of my beats audio).. kinda sucks..
Old 08-08-2013, 10:45 PM
5 Year Member

I never figured out the issue on my Bionic, but now I have a Galaxy s4 and it seems to work for the most part.

The only times I've had where I can't control is when SoundCloud will pause from buffering, when it starts back up sometimes the head unit will not pick it up, and still say the music is paused (locking out controls).

What rooting solutions did you read about? Freezing the default music app? I've tried that on my old phone and didn't have any luck. I haven't tried it on the GS4 yet, but mostly because I only occasionally use bluetooth for music now.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:06 PM
5 Year Member

I always thought my husband was crazy when I had my WP8 and he had his s2 and said it didn't work. lol Yeah, the freezing thing but some people said they had Cyanogenmod 7 and it wouldn't work but once they updated to Cyanogenmod 9 it worked... Not sure about any of that, my husband does all that stuff to our phones so I don't know anything about it. I also haven't had a rooted or android phone for like 2 years now.

My husband is still having issues with his s4. And for me, sometimes it will say paused but sometimes it just doesn't say anything aside the BTA.
Going from our Tiguan to my car, I have almost given myself a heart attack due to forgetting that I needed to immediately turn down the volume on my phone. Makes me miss my windows phone, it worked perfect and I never had to mess with my phone unless I had just restarted it and needed to reopen my music.

As much as I don't want to mess with my phone, I might have to see if he can fiddle with it and do whatever it is that he does.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by ahobson
I always thought my husband was crazy when I had my WP8 and he had his s2 and said it didn't work. lol Yeah, the freezing thing but some people said they had Cyanogenmod 7 and it wouldn't work but once they updated to Cyanogenmod 9 it worked... Not sure about any of that, my husband does all that stuff to our phones so I don't know anything about it. I also haven't had a rooted or android phone for like 2 years now.

My husband is still having issues with his s4. And for me, sometimes it will say paused but sometimes it just doesn't say anything aside the BTA.
Going from our Tiguan to my car, I have almost given myself a heart attack due to forgetting that I needed to immediately turn down the volume on my phone. Makes me miss my windows phone, it worked perfect and I never had to mess with my phone unless I had just restarted it and needed to reopen my music.

As much as I don't want to mess with my phone, I might have to see if he can fiddle with it and do whatever it is that he does.

I've had luck when streaming, streaming radio with TuneIn Radio.
What I've found that works is, I use Tasker to create a notification
with sound and the works - I think this frees the phone up a wee bit
which allows me to change the volume on the HU. I also have Tasker, using a plugin, kill Google Music Player. Which frees up the current audio player position for the taking. One doesn't work without the other...

If you're interested it goes,

1. Kill Google Music Player
2. Wait 3 Seconds (Pause)
3. Notification. < Has to create icon in top bar.
Figured that out when I received a text message moments after killing Google Music Player then trying to adjust volume, which didn't work. Bam, I got a text, then I could adjust the volume on the HU.

I haven't checked the issue in a while cause I'm happy with my solutions, as
it's all automated when I start apps etc.. But this seems to be an unsolved/jerry rigged solution.