Notices
Scion tC 2G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Vibration, rattling, noise in the dash...

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 03:34 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by solaragts
Exactly as described in the video the guy took while driving & posted.

Problem is not the cowl at the windshield. It is the cover at the front above radiator and hood latch. The neck on the push pins is too long so cover is not secured. Put 1/4" Fender Washers on the pins and it will take up the free play.

Also we put thin foam around the underside perimeter & also clear silicone adhesive along the back. Foam probably wasn't necessary but the silicone rubber probably is.

See picture if I have posted correctly (first time). If not email me and I will send the photo.

I know this works. Took trip from SC to Tampa varying speeds, etc. Been a month and not a peep !
Almost forgot - I know this loud vibration sometimes sounds like it is originating from different places - Cowl, Windshield, Under car, Dash / Firewall area, etc - but when something starts to resonate like this at different speeds and conditions - the noise can be translated to various places and that is why it is such a hard problem to pinpoint.
Old 08-05-2016, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by TC-Maverick
Ok, I'm pretty hot about this F'ing noise coming from the dash up near the windshield. It's hit an miss but I've concluded it is wind related as it only happens with higher speed and changes intensity at varying speeds. I get up to speed, put it in neutral and let the rpms drop to idle but noise stays consistent with speed. I shut AC off with no effect either.
It'll rarely start doing it @ about 50mph. At the beginning or lowest intensity it sounds like a very loud AC fan. @ about 80mph it sounds like I'm being followed by a Harley. I check near the wipers and under the hood for loose parts or panels and found a rusty razor blade a responsible dealership employee left behind. After taking that out it still does it from time to time.

What is really aggravating aside from the noise is the inconsistent occurrence and the dealerships response that they will not open the vents. Because to me.. it would seem the vibration is coming from inside the AC vents. Either something in there that should not be or a piece of plastic thats loose and vibrating like a reed on a saxophone. Based on how hard it vibrates when I take it up to a 100, hoping if its something lodged it will vibrate loose, I believe its loose plastic. They said they would drive it up and down the highway (burning up my gas) trying to hear it. And if I'm unlucky enough for it to not happen then I'm stuck..

Anyone else have this happen?
This happens to me still i have no clue what it is already took it to mechanics they said there's nothing wrong with it. My car's noise:

Last edited by MR_LUV; 04-22-2020 at 09:13 PM.
Old 08-05-2016, 05:32 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Check under your car, there is a flap for changing the oil filter and if they don't put the clip back properly it flaps and sounds like that. I just cut mine off its not really needed.
Old 08-08-2016, 03:09 AM
5 Year Member

Default Flap Noise

Did you try the solution / explanation I posted Jan 2015.
Attached Thumbnails Vibration, rattling, noise in the dash...-scion-vibration-flap-solution.jpg  
Old 04-22-2020, 06:02 PM
SL Member

Default I FOUND IT

I have found out what the rattling noise is. For me on my 2011 Scion tC it was the weatherstrip right above the windshield. It catches just enough wind to flap at high speeds. What I did is grabbed some clear silicone from Lowe’s and applied a this strip on the front and back of the weatherstrip. Just know if the windshield ever needs to get replaced that weather strip needs to be replaced as well. And more silicone will need to be applied. I have had this fix for over a week now and haven’t heard the sound since. Hope this helps
Old 04-23-2020, 05:51 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^that happened to me when I got my first shield replaced on this car. Was the most aggravating thing everrrr and I did the same fix lol. Shame it's not that simple to fix some of this car's other 50000 rattles.
Old 10-10-2020, 11:59 PM

Default Popping/Clicking in Steering when Turning..Fixed!

Originally Posted by TC-Maverick
yeah I agree. One day I was about to freak out cause my 2 12" subs struggle to drown it out when its at its best. So I pulled over an I put wet wipe packets that you get from restaurants in between the cowl pieces and the metal it rests on...
Hoping this would do the trick, because you can clearly see and feel (on mine at least) how the clips barely secure this plastic down. It wobbles significantly to the touch. It did not make the noise go away completely but seem to change the vibration pattern. Like holding a higher note on a guitar neck. More padding is needed apparently but I refuse to ______-rig my car to the point it looks like $#!t.

Just yesterday I was at the dealer for two noises..
1. This
2. A strange pop/click in the steering action. Which can be faint at times but definitely something that shouldn't be happening. Pop or click in the feel means something not moving smoothly (one way or the other) but to me feels like a bolt isn't tightened down quite enough and under the right strain will click or pop.

This day service consultant Ron Poblacion sits in with me for a ride-along...
Issue number one never showed itself on the very rushed ride-along. Ron instructed me to take a quick route in a circle not giving much chance for this on and off annoyance to appear.
Issue number two occurred the moment I turned the car on and rotated the wheel a 1/4 turn to the left. Immediately I pointed it out to him.. He shrugged it off like oh thats nothing...
Nothing until something in the steering comes apart or fails and I end up hurt and my whole family get FR-s'
I had this problem with my 2013 tC. Whenever I would turn a corner or hit a slight bump at a low-med speed, there seemed to be a clunk coming from the steering column, paired with a slight movement.
After researching online, it seemed to be the steering column bolt that wasn’t tight enough (located under all the plastic paneling beneath the clutch). The bolt connecting the steering column to what

I’m guessing is the axle would move ever so slightly when the wheel would be moved. Tightened it myself, saved $300!

____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 10-11-2020 at 04:06 AM.