Notices
Scion tC 2G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Who is coping with the hard, hot as hell Arm Rest in the Summer time.. Upgrade it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 04:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Who is coping with the hard, hot as hell Arm Rest in the Summer time.. Upgrade it?

Ok well I have previously posted on some things that I hated about my new car, I am relearning the car and modding it so it does what I want.

However Interior modding is not my strong point but I think we can all agree that the Center Armrest is rock hard and gets hot in the summer time.
I live in Texas and can not touch the armrest until the A/C has been on for 5 minutes. I will use a IR Thermometer to measure how hot it gets.

Moreover. On some other Toyota nation or something forum a Corolla owner posted how he upgraded his Armrest with one from a Canadian Corolla.

It's part number 58905-02480-b2.

It is a two tier armrest that is padded and slides forward. It can be located at a dealer or online for as low as $90. The pictures the dude posted look identical to our hinges on our armrest and the center console looks the same.

I am wondering if anyone has additional input about upgrading our armrest or if someone else seen a Toyota product that can be used as a replacement. I will follow up on the part number to see if it fits our car.

___

Last edited by MR_LUV; 10-08-2021 at 11:40 PM. Reason: Awarded 15 Yr Badge
Old 07-27-2012, 05:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Redline Goods makes leather covers for the center armrest in various patterns, color schemes, and padding options.
A number of people on the forum have them. Here's a link....

http://www.redlinegoods.com/ScionTc11shiftboot.php

___

Last edited by MR_LUV; 10-08-2021 at 11:36 PM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr. Badge
Old 07-27-2012, 05:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You guys think thats bad, my Blox 490g spherical shift **** gets to around 1,000,000f after sitting in the sun all day, lol.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:18 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have the redline goods padded armrest. I would really really recommend it. it makes it much nicer.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:22 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had them in my old Subaru
Good quality.

Btw I looked at door panel leather and arm rest etc

Looks pretty nice. I am worried the instructions for door panels kind of look like there's room for error. I will get the padded armrest first though.
Old 07-28-2012, 05:21 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by FreedomPenguin
I am worried the instructions for door panels kind of look like there's room for error. I will get the padded armrest first though.
There certainly is room for error, it is a bit difficult, but if you take your time and work carefully there is a good chance you will do just fine and the result will be great. We can also help you if you have any questions while installing.
Old 08-04-2012, 01:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my aunt made me a custom cushion armrest that wraps around cover. it basically looks like a swimmers cap.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:05 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not sure if anyone is still looking, but as an FYI, the Scion dealership is charging $108.00 (CAD) for the 2014 tC armrest console cover, which isn't too expensive for an OEM part. It's a cloth material so hopefully it's better than the bare plastic on the 11-13.

I looked at getting it upholstered with foam padding, but the armrest itself is already so high that it becomes awkward to rest your elbow on it.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:02 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have the redline goods armrest. And I live in Texas. No problem at all.

Old 06-11-2013, 09:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the posts, That does look great, but i'm not upgrading my seats too, that is a sweet interior. Maybe Redline will have something for me.
Does anyone have more info about what the armrest situation is for the 2014 tC?
Old 06-11-2013, 09:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tea_sea
Not sure if anyone is still looking, but as an FYI, the Scion dealership is charging $108.00 (CAD) for the 2014 tC armrest console cover, which isn't too expensive for an OEM part. It's a cloth material so hopefully it's better than the bare plastic on the 11-13.
If you look at the 2:00 minute mark you will see that the 2014 has "what looks like" the thin cloth that the tC1 had. They were not that comfortable based on my 6 years of driving one.

Even if they are not the same as the tC1's It does not look like the 2014's are any more comfortable. Redline has nice arm rests on sale for only them for only $45 plus shipping.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:31 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Higher quality pictures here.
http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2...o-gallery.html

The redline armrest has a foam cushion and a leather cover. Don't worry if you don't want to do the seats - you have leather on the wheel, and fake leather on the shift boot, right?
Old 06-12-2013, 01:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The steering wheel is more plasticy. The ____ boot is like a leather. I kind of want the suede materia on the armrest as I think it will be more comfortable and dont have to worry about water getting on the leather.
Your seats are rad though bro.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by speterson82
redline goods makes leather covers for the center armrest in various patterns, color schemes, and padding options. A number of people on the forum have them. Here's a link....

http://www.redlinegoods.com/ScionTc11shiftboot.php
I have this one with extra padding! Awesome

Sent from my iPhone5 using Tapatalk
Old 06-12-2013, 12:41 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Occam
I have the redline goods armrest. And I live in Texas. No problem at all.

I am looking together this one also. How was the install?

Thanks
Old 06-13-2013, 04:53 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Very easy. 10 minutes or so. The shift boot is a bit trickier (I had trouble getting it attached to the ring at the bottom - wound up using a hot glue gun)
Old 09-11-2021, 01:29 AM

Default Did you try it?

Originally Posted by StatuSCheckA
Ok well I have previously posted on some things that I hated about my new car, I am relearning the car and modding it so it does what I want.

However Interior modding is not my stong point but I think we can all agree that the center armrest is rock hard and gets hot in the summer time...I live in Texas and can not touch the armrest until the AC has been on for 5 minutes. I will use a IR Thermometer to measure how hot it gets.

Moreover. On some other Toyota nation or something forum a Corolla owner posted how he upgraded his Armrest with one from a Canadian Corolla.
Its part number 58905-02480-b2.
It is a two tier armrest that is padded and slides forward. It can be located at a dealer or online for as low as $90. The pictures the dude posted look identical to our hinges on our armrest and the center console looks the same.

I am wondering if anyone has additional input about upgrading our armrest or if someone else seen a Toyota product that can be used as a replacement. I will follow up on the part number to see if it fits our car.
Did you ever try or find out if the Toyota sliding armrest fits?

___

Last edited by MR_LUV; 09-11-2021 at 04:11 AM.
Old 09-12-2021, 02:27 AM

Did you ever find out about the Toyota Corolla Armrest (59805-02480-b2)?

I am very curious to see if it fits in a tC?

____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 09-12-2021 at 05:44 AM.
Old 10-15-2021, 01:14 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sounds dumb, but about 10 years ago when I got my 2012 tC. I bought a Redline leather arm rest cover, but I bought one of those memory foam bath mats for like 10 bucks, a nice thick high quality one. I cut a rectangle section (to fit on the arm rest plastic) and I put the cover over it. About 7 years
worked just fine, it got a little compressed and wasn't the softest thing, so popped the leather off, bought another memory foam bath mat and did exact same thing. im on year 3-4 on the new one, it literally took me about 10 minutes. Worth its weight in gold. the leather doesn't get hot and its plush.

basically one of these, but do your own search for a quality Mat if you attempt it, this was a quick Google.

Amazon Amazon

___

Last edited by MR_LUV; 10-15-2021 at 03:32 AM. Reason: Awarded 5 Yr Badge
Old 10-15-2021, 05:26 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Holy thread resurrection lol.

This center arm rest is awful stock. RedlineGoods cover w/ extra padding option is a game changer.

Went with black Nappa leather w/ charcoal stitching to match my shift and e-brake boots. Clean and considerably more comfortable.

Quick Reply: Who is coping with the hard, hot as hell Arm Rest in the Summer time.. Upgrade it?