Scion tC 2G Owners Lounge
2011-____ [ANT20]

Breaking In + Engine Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 06:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just go with what the owner's manual says. If your car is stock and you drive it like a sane person (many of us on here do not), 5K mile oil changes are very reasonable. If you floor it at every stoplight, you may want to change the oil a little more often. Remember, Toyota sells cars based on reliability, so they aren't going to tell you to do something that would potentially damage that reputation.

And for breaking in the engine, the only thing the manual says is to avoid setting the cruise for over an hour for the first 1K miles.
Old 01-08-2011, 09:36 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 1989menace
F*** what the dealer says. i do my oil changes every 3k miles....if i waited 5k miles to change my oil like the dealer told me i would most likely have anouther blown motor and im positive about that...i drive highway miles every day and people in SL will tell you that are motors consume oil or burn oil however you want to say it. sometimes my oil is even low before 3k miles. and my built motor runs perfectly fine ...and im using 10w30 castrol gtx btw. i rather spend a few dollarson oil and not thousands.

Just want to let you know my tC does not burn or consume oil! Sorry you had a blown engine but 5k for an oil change is not an extreme wait. Maybe if you go 5k miles every year I would change it every 6 months. I think these 10k changes are a lil much!
Old 01-09-2011, 03:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

10K does sound a little extreme, but I have seen it done plenty of times before with no issues. With other cars that I used to have, I changed my oil every 3K. However, with my 07 tC, I went by the maintenance book and changed every 5K.

Engine oil has come a long way in the past few decades. The point is that with synthetic oils break down at slower rates and also have a reduced tendency to form deposits.
Old 01-09-2011, 03:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by highvoltage1
Just want to let you know my tC does not burn or consume oil! Sorry you had a blown engine but 5k for an oil change is not an extreme wait. Maybe if you go 5k miles every year I would change it every 6 months. I think these 10k changes are a lil much!

well lucky you...but my motor does consume oil, burns oil, or just dissapears somehow...or maybe cuz i drive 60 miles at 80 mph every day? idk! but i know im not the only with that issue...all i know is it runs perfect regardless. but i learned my lesson the hard way by following the stupid scion manual... and all of the sudden my motor was knocking cuz it had no oil and i had to spends thousands cuz they wouldnt warranty my car even tho i only had like 15k miles on the car ....so ill stick to my 3k oil changes.
Old 01-09-2011, 03:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well lucky you...but my motor does consume oil, burns oil, or just dissapears somehow...or maybe cuz i drive 60 miles at 80 mph every day? idk! but i know im not the only with that issue...all i know is it runs perfect regardless. but i learned my lesson the hard way by following the stupid scion manual... and all of the sudden my motor was knocking cuz it had no oil and i had to spends thousands cuz they wouldnt warranty my car even tho i only had like 15k miles on the car ....so ill stick to my 3k oil changes.
You've got serious engine issues if you're consuming/leaking that much oil. For everyone with a stock tC the Scion maintenance guidelines are what should be used.
Old 01-09-2011, 04:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

As long as you check your oil regularly and keep it topped up you are fine, my Camry that had 281,000km on it didn't burn any oil. Car is different but I would look for leaks. Also when you cold start is there blue smoke?
Old 01-09-2011, 03:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by VVTinme
You've got serious engine issues if you're consuming/leaking that much oil. For everyone with a stock tC the Scion maintenance guidelines are what should be used.

i dont have serious issues or any issues at all with the motor....i drive my car hard and its not leaking or anything or no smoke..the motor runs perfect..tcpete also has the same issue and his motor runs like a beast!

p.s its not a stock tc...check the build thread lol
Old 03-10-2012, 05:13 PM
SL Member

Is their a link on HOW to change the earl in the tc2? Please wisk me to the site. Not to familiar with this style of filter.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=199103
You not using the free 20k service? I have been very happy with Scion on this. They have changed the filter and oil with Mobil 0W-20 syn. No problems yet. At 14800 miles right now and the oil on the dipstick looks fresh and full btw.

Last edited by Blackedout011TC; 03-11-2012 at 01:38 PM.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:13 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by Blackedout011TC
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=199103
You not using the free 20k service? I have been very happy with Scion on this. They have changed the filter and oil with Mobil 0W-20 syn. No problems yet. At 4800 miles right now and the oil on the dipstick looks fresh and full btw.
Been their twice and tired of them telling me to bring it back when it gets dirty. 7500 alteady. Dont trust the dealerships and their lof t-ten students. I bought the cheesy sst today offered by the parts department. Going to let them do it once bc was rumured the collar is initally on kinda tight, and their students have access to the snap on version of the sst.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Gotcha', guess I am lucky. They changed mine every 5k no question.
Old 03-11-2012, 03:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

For the 1st oil change...I would definitely do it early. It won't harm the engine and in fact will help remove any wear particle forming in the break in process and entering the oil. Now I can imagine that those particles, as minimal as they can be aren't good to have in your oil for this important period of your engines life. Best to do the oil change early, maybe at 1 or 2k. OK lets say I am wrong....so you just wasted $29.99 having your oil changed and that's all as opposed to possibly helping your engine break in better on cleaner oil. Any help with my theory?

BTW from what I've hear, the 3k oil change does not apply anymore since engine oil temperatures run lower in modern engines. In fact Ford is switching to 10k intervals now and I think Honda is @ 7500. So yeah your fine with 5k, its whats Toyota's engineers recommend anyway.
Old 03-11-2012, 03:56 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by LED-Maniac
For the 1st oil change...I would definitely do it early. It won't harm the engine and in fact will help remove any wear particle forming in the break in process and entering the oil. Now I can imagine that those particles, as minimal as they can be aren't good to have in your oil for this important period of your engines life. Best to do the oil change early, maybe at 1 or 2k. OK lets say I am wrong....so you just wasted $29.99 having your oil changed and that's all as opposed to possibly helping your engine break in better on cleaner oil. Any help with my theory?

BTW from what I've hear, the 3k oil change does not apply anymore since engine oil temperatures run lower in modern engines. In fact Ford is switching to 10k intervals now and I think Honda is @ 7500. So yeah your fine with 5k, its whats Toyota's engineers recommend anyway.
29.95? I wish. 0-20 oil gets expensive!

Last edited by tommyboy; 03-11-2012 at 03:58 PM. Reason: double
Old 03-11-2012, 03:56 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by LED-Maniac

29.99? I wish. 0-20 oil gets expensive!
Old 03-11-2012, 09:46 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

This is all about money. Engine temps have nothing to do with it. Change ur oil every 5000 miles. If you read about oil it doesn't even break down and become 100% useful till around 3-4k. If anything change ur oil filter ever 2000 miles.
And when breaking in the motor. Beat the ____ out of it. For instance take the motor up to top of third and let off. Long story short this will ensure a proper ring seal and the vaccum will suck the particles down into your oil.. babying ur motor is ridiculous. You lose; power among other things.

And everyone and their synthetic . Its only partially synthetic. Real synthetic oil is $$$$$$$$$$. And royal purple is garbage.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Old 12-28-2012, 04:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Is the break-in additive still effective at 5,000 miles even? I think by 5,000 your motor is ready for whatever oil you put in it.
I was under the impression that the first oil change is the most important due to build up and deposits and shavings from the break-in period. I don't wish to wait for 10,000 miles for an oil change. Call it piece of mind or whatever, but If I were to change my oil now (5,000miles) would I need to add some special Break-In Additive?
Old 01-02-2013, 10:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TheYota
This is all about money. Engine temps have nothing to do with it. Change ur oil every 5000 miles. If you read about oil it doesn't even break down and become 100% useful till around 3-4k. If anything change ur oil filter ever 2000 miles.
And when breaking in the motor. Beat the ____ out of it. For instance take the motor up to top of third and let off. Long story short this will ensure a proper ring seal and the vaccum will suck the particles down into your oil.. babying ur motor is ridiculous. You lose; power among other things.

And everyone and their synthetic . Its only partially synthetic. Real synthetic oil is $$$$$$$$$$. And royal purple is garbage.
I hope this is one of those sarcasm posts, its hard to tell because there are some real _______s on this forum...

This is the dumbest thing I have ever read. I been getting alot of great information from ScionLife since 2005 and posts like this just confuse rookies and make us look bad on other forums.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by StatuSCheckA
Is the break-in additive still effective at 5,000 miles even? I think by 5,000 your motor is ready for whatever oil you put in it.
If I were to change my oil now (5,000miles) would I need to add some special Break-In Additive?
I answered my own question. No way am I going to drive the way I do on 10,000 miles with the same oil. I am planning my oil change this weekend with Mobile One Full Synth at around 5,100 miles with no additional additive. I just got my 5,000 Mile checkup.
I guess I will use 0W20 like the manual says.
I was used to using 5W30 on my Old Scion, but I guess technology and engineering changed to allow a light oil.
With the Texas temperatures in the summer should I still use 0W20? I dont care about fuel economy.
Old 05-04-2013, 02:10 PM

I change my oil every 3-4k whats a few bucks to keep my investment in top shape, i don't know about what others feel about this but after 3-4k my oil is black I rather change it for peace of mind. Pennzoil platinum 0w20