Notices
Scion tC 2G Owners Lounge
2011-____ [ANT20]

Couple of things I'm very unhappy with, with my tc2

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 05:43 AM
SL Member

Default Couple of things I'm very unhappy with, with my tc2

1.First of all I give up on the doors rattling... everytime I play a song it sounds like my car is about to fall apart. I tried everything. Nothing works.

2.Took it to the dealership to get serviced, now my breaks screech is that normal? every once in a while I hear a little screeching coming from my breaks. My friend said his makes the sound after taking it to the dealership as well..the car has 16k miles on it and the guy said I had 92% break pads left.

3.The front dash rattles... makes a small buzzing noise when I drive it, especially in the mornings. Like on top of the ac vents if I just put my hand on the dash where the windshield and ac vents meet it stops buzzing.

Should I take it to the dealership and ask them about these problems? I don't think toyota gives a crap about these small issues.

I noticed those issues when I stopped playing music because the speakers are just so horrible and the doors rattle like I'm sitting in a P.O.S car. I LOVE my car but these issues ____ me off every morning on my way to work and school...
Old 10-10-2012, 05:47 AM
SL Member

This should have been posted in Lounge or something but oops... lol
Old 10-10-2012, 11:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Your brakes are fine, they are most likely caked in brake dust. That makes them noisy. Look into upgrading the pads if it bothers you.

You also bought a cheap car made of plastic. It's going to rattle. It's not a lexus or mercedes. My car rattles and it's just a part of driving my scion. You either get over it or trade it in.

In either case, the problems could be solved by using the "In-dash noise cancellation device," the radio. That's the easiest fix.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:18 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

brakes are fine, im on original brakes with 62,xxx miles on them and they still work fine, search around on the forum for the door rattle fix, but i hear the oem audio solves that problem with thicker mounting brackets to eliminate bass flex
Old 10-10-2012, 05:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

maybe you should take a break.. with your brakes.. they sell some stuff that make your brakes quieter at auto places, check it out.. if not get better brakes with less noise and take a break.

and any vid of these rattles?
Old 10-10-2012, 05:26 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

instead of complaining, why dont you do something about it. Something rattles, find where then make your own bracket. Getting ____ed at a dealer wont take you far, considering they dont know much anyway. think like an engineer
Old 10-11-2012, 11:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^ do that.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:19 AM

do you wash your car often and keep the brakes, wheels, and calipers clean? Build of brake dust and grime can cause this.

The rattling dash, maybe you should take a stab at fixing it yourself. Who knows what the dealer is going to do to it, if anything.

My doors don't rattle from the speakers, and they seem to be pretty damn good for a stock setup. I'd suggest you once again take a stab at it yourself.
Old 10-13-2012, 06:28 PM
5 Year Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ramanoto
1.First of all I give up on the doors rattling... everytime I play a song it sounds like my car is about to fall apart. I tried everything. Nothing works.

2.Took it to the dealership to get serviced, now my breaks screech is that normal? every once in a while I hear a little screeching coming from my breaks. My friend said his makes the sound after taking it to the dealership as well..the car has 16k miles on it and the guy said I had 92% break pads left.

3.The front dash rattles... makes a small buzzing noise when I drive it, especially in the mornings. Like on top of the ac vents if I just put my hand on the dash where the windshield and ac vents meet it stops buzzing.

Should I take it to the dealership and ask them about these problems? I don't think toyota gives a crap about these small issues.

I noticed those issues when I stopped playing music because the speakers are just so horrible and the doors rattle like I'm sitting in a P.O.S car. I LOVE my car but these issues ____ me off every morning on my way to work and school...
Are you sure you're driving a 2nd gen tC and not my 2012 Camry SE? You think the tC has quality control issues go trade it in for a Camry SE 4cyl I'll give you a week at most before you're begging for a tC.

1) 2012 Camry SE msrp $24,015 vs cost of tC with add ons
2) The base audio is garbage you have to pay extra for upgraded Entune system to get a still garbage audio system with a bigger screen
3) Entune cost more and was glitchy. Rarely connected to my iPhone 3gs, night mode on navi unreadible, could not see screen until it warmed up on cold days, and this was an improvement via software update over what it was originally
4) Doesn't come with a panoramic moonroof or even a regular sunroof
5) Head liner rattles when sunroof open or closed or playing music with any kind of bass
6) Roofline is uncomfortably low for a "family sedan"
7) Less interior space for passengers "family sedan"
8 Cheap feeling fabric & faux leather
9) Thin padding on side of doors that become non-existing on extended driving
10) Transmission would fall asleep during highway driving
11) Advertised 60:40 rear folding seats that were really 50:30

Trust me you are better off with a 20,000 tC that is improved in every possible way over the flagship Camry consider yourself lucky that you have 3 issues that can be resolved vs my 11 that could not be.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:44 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Use sound deadening on the outer and inner door skin, use thin adhesive foam to sound deaden the window door switches. Ditch the 6x9 cheap woofers in the doors and get 3 way Hertz, Focal, or other 3 way speakers for the doors that use 6" long throw round woofers instead. You have plenty of accurate mid bass with out the boomy loose mid bass that the 6x9 factory door woofer put out which also rattles the doors.

If you have the money time and energy, remove the interior completely like I did and sound deaden the entire car, lowers road noise inside the car, you will really like it then, no rattles period in my car even with the JL 10w6 and JL 500/1 putting power to it.

Brakes, so far mine are fine 8k miles no noise at all. You might have the dealer look at them. No dash rattles.

Just about every car I've ever had has had some annoying rattle or noise somewhere. You either have to spend the time and energy to fix it or just live with it, really depends on how bad/annoying it is.

The doors drove me nuts but sound deadening everything really helped everything about the car for me.

Paid 19500 for mine with the spoiler, fogs, dealer window tint, bespoke radio. With a few upgrades the car for me is perfect and a great value compared to other cars in it's class.