Scion tC 2G Owners Lounge
2011-____ [ANT20]

Dealers..

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 11:55 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Dealers..

I am quiet puzzled as to how some service department advisers are hired. I have been noticing a humming noise from the input shaft bearing on my 6mt. This only happens on idle. I went to schedule an appointment today at the dealer and told the adviser that it is a 6 speed manual, and when on idle in neutral, with the clutch out, the input shaft bearing produces a noticeable hum. The adviser told me no problem, we will need the car for about an hour so we can run pressure tests on the transmission. I asked him how would that work and it took him a good 30 seconds to realize you cannot do a pressure test on a manual, not to mention he looked puzzled as to what an input shaft bearing is.

Anyone else run into service advisers who should not work in automotive related industries?

/rant.
Old 08-29-2012, 02:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

did you talk to one of the actual techs or one of the guys who deel with paper work because ive had the same problem with the idiots who set up appointments and all they act like they know what they are talking about then you call them out on it and its like they all of a sudden no nothing try to either go in and talk to an actual head tech or call and ask for one
Old 08-29-2012, 03:14 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I spoke to the guy behind the desk. When I go in for my appointment I am going to ask for the actual tech to walk outside with me so I can show him what I am talking about.
Old 08-29-2012, 03:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you have a technical question/concern. Ask to talk to a master tech. I'm "one of those idiots who set up appointments and all they act like they know what they are talking about" The adviser slipped by saying more then "We'll take a look." your going to deal with under qualified individuals in any field.

Talk to a master tech. Their required to have have atleast 7 or 12 of the 60 certifications to be a master tech (atleast for toyota)

Note:Advisers don't get paid to look at or work on warranty vehicles (but techs do!!!)
Old 08-29-2012, 11:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by STlTCHES

Talk to a master tech. Their required to have have atleast 7 or 12 of the 60 certifications to be a master tech (atleast for toyota)

Note:Advisers don't get paid to look at or work on warranty vehicles (but techs do!!!)
FIRST, a dealerships number of master techs depends on its size so 7-12 of them isn't realistic in some areas. Second the advisor gets paid on ANY part/service that is sold regardless if its warranty or not not including any extra incentives that is offered by toyota.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:37 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'll be talking to a tech once I arrive at my appointment.
Old 08-31-2012, 02:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Flywheel chatter, its normal to hear that when the clutch is out and in neutral. My 350z was really LOUD, the tc ...not so much.
Old 08-31-2012, 04:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Sam, I heard you like the input shaft.
Old 09-01-2012, 04:44 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TankedPilot
Flywheel chatter, its normal to hear that when the clutch is out and in neutral. My 350z was really LOUD, the tc ...not so much.
It doesn't really sound like flywheel chatter, I've heard chattering before but this is constant.
Originally Posted by Big_Jim
Sam, I heard you like the input shaft.
Only your input shaft, Jim.
Old 09-01-2012, 05:38 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by russiankid
I am quiet puzzled as to how some service department advisers are hired. I have been noticing a humming noise from the input shaft bearing on my 6mt. This only happens on idle. I went to schedule an appointment today at the dealer and told the adviser that it is a 6 speed manual, and when on idle in neutral, with the clutch out, the input shaft bearing produces a noticeable hum. The adviser told me no problem, we will need the car for about an hour so we can run pressure tests on the transmission. I asked him how would that work and it took him a good 30 seconds to realize you cannot do a pressure test on a manual, not to mention he looked puzzled as to what an input shaft bearing is.

Anyone else run into service advisers who should not work in automotive related industries?

/rant.
well its like asking a flight attendant how do ILS approaches work, what are the minumums and how to do one...
Old 09-01-2012, 05:43 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by TankedPilot
dual mass flywheels are always loud. does the tc2 have dual mass? (im not sure)

you could hear my gen coupe with a with a stock clutch 2 blocks away. Replaced it with a cc stage 4 kit single mass and the 6 puck disc was even louder
Old 09-02-2012, 08:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by russiankid
Only your input shaft, Jim.
oh baby.