Old 07-13-2019, 11:42 PM
SL Member

engine bay looks awesome.
Old 07-15-2019, 02:27 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Cutlass89
engine bay looks awesome.
Thanks Cutlass! The shop that did the powder work wants to Cerakote my header next, I just need to decide on a color.
Old 09-03-2019, 03:52 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

So with our cars and our picky transmissions there's not a lot of options for what kind of fluid to replace the OEM stuff with that actually shifts properly (not notchy, no grinding going into gear, smooth idle etc). Well I finally discovered that Redline makes one called MT-LV which is perfect for the low viscosity fluid Toyota specs these with. I threw it in a few weeks ago and it is amaaazingg. I'm in Phoenix so I can't speak for how it works in icy cold climates, but this car has never shifted better. I changed mine at 77k and it had a slight burnt smell to it, so I would think the fluid on this should be changed every 30k like most cars. I didn't realize how poor my shifting was until after changing the fluid - glad I didn't wait any longer.

Also finished my brake upgrade this past weekend by installing the Techna-Fit stainless lines and flushed out the already new Toyota fluid with some new ATE TYP 200 DOT4 as I still wasn't completely happy with the performance of the brakes since doing the pads/rotors/fluid a few months back. The brakes now have a stronger bite and a noticeably stronger & smoother pull thru the entire pedal stroke. The pedal also feels much more firm. The lines installed pretty easily but the fronts routed slightly different than stock and I had to slide a few of the rubber grommets around to make stuff line up with the proper slack. I did have to grab a 10mm flare nut wrench (brake line wrench) to get the cars hardlines to unscrew out of the rubber lines as they would not budge and kept trying to strip without it. Overall I'd give them an 8/10 for fitment and a 10/10 for feel. I ran this same line/fluid setup on my last car as well and noticed the same improvements on both vehicles, so I'd say the gains for ss lines on a daily are very worthwhile. I'm very happy with both upgrades.

Last edited by drizzoh; 09-06-2019 at 02:42 PM.
Old 09-18-2019, 03:12 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well I had a turn signal bulb die, so took the opportunity to upgrade the turn signals to led. Installed some new Morimoto X-VF LED turn signals along with the Diode Dynamics SmartTap CF18 Led Flasher Module to eliminate the hyperblink and pick up a few added features as well. The relay is really cool, fits into the same spot as the OEM part and everything it advertises works except the arrival lighting (where the turn signals will stay lit for x number of seconds when the car is unlocked) - which of course is the feature I was most excited about. Guess that's part of a semi-generic pnp part that works on Toyota/Lexus/Scion/Subaru, but at least I didn't have to hack up the factory wiring to get rid of the hyperblink and the car now has the tap-to-signal function when changing lanes. Also has a bunch of different hazard lighting modes that are pretty cool.

Morimoto X-VF leds

Toyota OEM turn signal unit vs SmartTap Module

Name:  foBHjlMl.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  69.0 KB

2/11/2022 Update:
So my DiodeDynamics CF18 flasher module started wigging out and sending low voltage to the driver side and I got it replaced under warranty. Swapped it out last night and now the arrival lighting works. Not sure if I had a bum unit before or if they updated it, but now the unit is full-functioned so if you're looking at adding the tap-to-signal I can fully recommend this unit. DD is also great to work with re: warranty claims.

Last edited by drizzoh; 02-11-2022 at 02:06 PM.
Old 09-18-2019, 04:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Do the signals still flash with lock/unlock, or are they completely dead?
Old 09-18-2019, 05:28 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

None of the existing features are gone, they just don't have the added benefit of staying lit like I was hoping they would after unlocking with this upgraded module (one of the features it offers but not all features work on all cars). The departure lighting feature works, but I disabled it because I don't see the point without arrival lighting :/

EDIT: Had DD replace the SmartTap sometime ~2022 and all of the advertised features work now.

Last edited by drizzoh; 08-17-2023 at 07:55 PM.
Old 09-19-2019, 12:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well very cool that they still flash with lock/unlock. I was really interested in the wig-wag hazards. Thanks for testing it out, looking to buy once I get my tC back on the road.
Old 09-19-2019, 02:25 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by minter66
Well very cool that they still flash with lock/unlock. I was really interested in the wig-wag hazards. Thanks for testing it out, looking to buy once I get my tC back on the road.
It's a cool little unit, and was very easy to install - didn't need to remove any plastics. The wig-wag feature is awesome but it is not able to be set as the default for the hazard, you will have to tap the turn signal stalk every time you flick the hazards on to enable it. No idea why but seems like all the other hazard functions are programmable as default.

/////

Differen't mod - last night I swapped out the Winjet fog switch for one I found on Amazon. It's not a 100% match but it is sooooo much easier on the eyes than the green that didn't match anything. For $10 and perfect fitment I'm not upset. I feel like it would match the factory headunit amber color lights if I still had it lol.

Link to switch Link to switch

EDIT:
Last night I took the switch apart and added some of my leftover charcoal Lamin-X behind it to tone down the backlighting. Much less intense and it unintentionally darkened up the shade a bit which made the finished product a closer match to the gauge cluster. The switch just pulls apart, If you have the material I would recommend tinting the back side.

Last edited by drizzoh; 10-04-2019 at 05:21 PM.
Old 09-19-2019, 03:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oh you know you need to post up that link. I have the same green foglight switch in my Tundra and thankfully its down by my left knee, so it's not super noticeable But with the tC being right in your left eye, pass it on!
Old 09-19-2019, 03:15 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oh you know you need to post up that link. I have the same green foglight switch in my Tundra and thankfully its down by my left knee, so it's not super noticeable But with the tC being right in your left eye, pass it on!
Bahahahaha -
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IGKTMNQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IGKTMNQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 09-19-2019, 03:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by drizzoh
Thank you.

Interestingly enough, I added motorized headlight levelers to my Tundra and they also came off a Hilux.
Old 09-19-2019, 04:11 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The Hilux is awesome. I've loved them ever since Top Gear destroyed one like 500 times and it kept running.

There are a few other switches that will probably work, but I was too lazy to measure the size. The iJDMToy one seems nice as well. This switch was fully pnp though which I liked. Tbh the lower led is a little on the bright side but I should be able to remedy that relatively easily.

EDIT:
Last night I took the switch apart and added some of my leftover charcoal Lamin-X behind it to tone down the backlighting. Much less intense and it unintentionally darkened up the shade a bit which made the finished product a closer match to the gauge cluster.

Last edited by drizzoh; 09-20-2019 at 03:06 PM.
Old 09-23-2019, 04:07 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Got tired of Plastix not really doing anything on my headlights so decided to pick up the Chemical Guys Headlight Restorer and some new buffer pads off Amazon and give it a whirl. Time will tell how it holds up but the Plastix never made my headlights even close to this clear. After I did the restoring I threw a coat of their JetSeal on as it's supposed to help protect the lenses. In Phoenix we can use all the uv protection we can get. This is my first time using the Chemical Guys stuff and I feel like I'm hooked already.

Here are some before and afters:

Driver:

Name:  dUmXH3sh.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  204.2 KB

Passenger:

Name:  0KVzpAZh.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  197.7 KB

^^I did buff this one a few more times after taking the 'after' pic.

Last edited by drizzoh; 10-04-2019 at 05:20 PM.
Old 09-24-2019, 03:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Look's great, I'm planning to do the same with my headlights!
Old 10-04-2019, 05:18 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Brenex
Look's great, I'm planning to do the same with my headlights!
Been 2 weeks since the restoration (and it rained all last week). Lights are still looking as good as they did after the restore. Hopefully they stay that way.
Old 10-08-2019, 04:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thats good to know. As a Texan, I don't envy Arizonans...that shows how much sun ya'll get lol. But I just buffed out my headlights with some 3M rubbing/polishing and waxed them. If they go back to where they were, I'm going to try your stuff
Old 10-08-2019, 05:59 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thats good to know. As a Texan, I don't envy Arizonans...that shows how much sun ya'll get lol. But I just buffed out my headlights with some 3M rubbing/polishing and waxed them. If they go back to where they were, I'm going to try your stuff
3M makes pretty good stuff. A few buddies have used it with good results. Many products will clean the lenses, but I think the top coat is what really seals it in. That being said this Chemical guys stuff did clean these lights better than anything I've previously used (have used it on a few different cars now), but the real test will be to see how well the Jet Seal holds up and protects and if these stay clear. Still looking great so far though.
Old 10-09-2019, 01:15 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by drizzoh
Well I had a turn signal bulb die, so took the opportunity to upgrade the turn signals to led. Installed some new Morimoto X-VF LED turn signals along with the Diode Dynamics SmartTap CF18 Led Flasher Module to eliminate the hyperblink and pick up a few added features as well. The relay is really cool, fits into the same spot as the OEM part and everything it advertises works except the arrival lighting (where the turn signals will stay lit for x number of seconds when the car is unlocked) - which of course is the feature I was most excited about. Guess that's part of a semi-generic pnp part that works on Toyota/Lexus/Scion/Subaru, but at least I didn't have to hack up the factory wiring to get rid of the hyperblink and the car now has the tap-to-signal function when changing lanes. Also has a bunch of different hazard lighting modes that are pretty cool.

Morimoto X-VF leds

Toyota OEM turn signal unit vs SmartTap Module

You've successfully convinced me to get the SmartTap. Do the wig-wag and strobe hazard functions work? Also, the morimoto turn signal LEDs that you got- do they have built in resistors or does the the SmartTap take care of that?
Old 10-09-2019, 02:41 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Manualsonly
You've successfully convinced me to get the SmartTap. Do the wig-wag and strobe hazard functions work? Also, the morimoto turn signal LEDs that you got- do they have built in resistors or does the the SmartTap take care of that?
Haha, the SmartTap takes care of the hyperblink. I tested before installing the SmartTap and it hyperflashed - stopped once installed. The strobe is the default (i ended up changing it to operate as stock though). The wig-wag works but it cannot be set as the default, you have to turn the hazards on then click the stalk to activate it. Not a big deal but it's probably that way for some legal reason. The LEDs are great though, very visible in the daylight and they match the side mirror turn signals so that's an added bonus.

The real benefit of the SmartTap is is to gain the tap-to-signal function. It took me 2 weeks to get used to it but now that I am I love it. If you don't want to add that feature, you can get a normal CF18 module for about $10 that will fix the hyperflash only.
Old 10-09-2019, 03:08 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks man. I have led turn signals with resistors built in- but frankly, theyre too bright. Like it hurts to look at at night. So I want to get less bright leds, and I was looking at relay options and the wig wag seems cool for puling over in the city to run an errand or pick someone up. Too bad the approach lights don't work though

Quick Reply: drizzohs 2014 tC2.5 thread