Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion tC 2G Owners Lounge (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-tc-2g-owners-lounge-1824/)
-   -   external temp problem (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-tc-2g-owners-lounge-1824/external-temp-problem-225560/)

Jbarker1983 10-30-2013 10:05 PM

external temp problem

all the sudden my tc2 external temp gauge has started being way off like 20 degrees etc never was before anyone have this issue its a 2011. I know it takes a few minutes to get right but this doesnt ive driven for a 1/2 still reading wrong

Newman 10-30-2013 10:08 PM

that's odd. maybe sensor is going bad or wiring trouble? if the dealer can check it for free have them do that assuming the warranty is still active (but it might not be considering the age of the car). i hope it is though.

I have not had issues on my 2012 yet. still accurate.
You need to speak to someone who is very familiar with auto electrical, i'd imagine they can help you. if anyone on this forum fixed this, I'd be interested in knowing how too.

criminaltc 10-30-2013 10:11 PM

It's probably going to be situational. Let it sit over night and revisit it tomorrow and I bet it'll come right back to normal. It might have just been sensing something and throwing the numbers off. Like you said, it has happened before, just not this long. Well, none the less, it still has happened before so I'm sure you're alright. Those bank thermometers are junk too, but sometimes they're right, right?

Jbarker1983 10-31-2013 10:30 AM

It's normal for it to take a few minutes to adjust to the right temp but this just started and it doesn't correct itself

criminaltc 10-31-2013 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Jbarker1983 (Post 4131033)
It's normal for it to take a few minutes to adjust to the right temp but this just started and it doesn't correct itself

Are you trying to be funny? You just said that in your first post. Why are you repeating what you said? And then repeating what I said? Because I just got done saying this exact thing. Like I said, let it sit over night and reset itself with the natural heat cycle of the motor cooling down and the outside air cooling down. There is nothing to worry about here. There is nothing wrong with your sensor. Scion's are always messed up. They just suck in general. It might be because of where they mount it (next to your horns by the way). Take a deep breath, there is nothing wrong. It probably was just having a bad hair day.

Jbarker1983 10-31-2013 12:22 PM

Dude do u understand what I'm saying. Its normal to take a few minutes to adjust that happens what it's doing now JUST STARTED never happened before. I've owned scions before and this isn't normal it's obviously sat over night if your understanding me here. I'm asking if anyone else has had this issue.

criminaltc 10-31-2013 12:41 PM

I don't think that you understand what you are trying to say. Read your post big guy. How did you clearly, oh so clearly, leave it over night, hmm? When all you said is that you drove it for "1/2"? I was assuming that meant 30 minutes, but now with what you are saying, who knows what the hell you're talking about. Listen, if you're the one in a million dude that has a bad sensor, then congratulations, but these sensors are junk and are in a junk locations. Replace it if you are so concerned. If someone else has had this issue, what is that going to do for you? How does that solve your problem? I was trying to solve your problem and be a nice guy. I apologize for my consideration, apparently it is getting me in trouble. Thanks for the attitude.

Jbarker1983 10-31-2013 12:45 PM

You need to read I appreciate the help I said I have drove it a half yes 30 mins it has sat over night because this has been going on for longer than a day if you couldn't figure that out. I'm not being a dick or funny. I'm trying to find out if it's a common problem or recall etc anyone who has had this problem and what the fix was you feel me.

I like to avoid going to the dealer if possible

criminaltc 10-31-2013 12:59 PM

Yeah, no. By your post, there is no frickin way I am to assume this has been going on for days, months, years. Come on man, if you are really expecting that, then that is sad. Especially by saying you "drove it 1/2 and it's still doing it". That's tell me that you drove it for 30 minutes and it didn't change, so you posted in here, like a normal person would assume, but it's not even assuming, it's facts on what you said. Get out of here if you are asking me to understand how you drove it like this for days based off your ill-grammer-written post. And no, it's not common for it to be 20 degrees off all the time. Common for it to be wrong a +-5 degrees at all times? Yes. And don't be that guy that's acting like the dealer is the enemy. Don't be that guy. If you are going to trust anyone with your car, it's going to be them. Money shouldn't be a priority when it comes to quality. Maybe something is stuck to your sensor. Just take a look next to your horns. This isn't going to effect any other component on your car. It's a straight wire from the sensor to your gauge, so if it's off, it's off. If it's a big deal, replace it, if not, deal with a constently 20 degree off sensor.

Jbarker1983 10-31-2013 01:05 PM

Blame iPhone auto correct and fast typing for the grammar lol. Nothing against dealers Just like to fix it myself before going that route. I'll check out the sensor thsnks

criminaltc 10-31-2013 01:15 PM

Liking to do things yourself is different than avoiding the dealership. I'm a do-it-yourselfer as well. Let us know what you find.

Newman 10-31-2013 03:25 PM

curious, where is the temp sensor in our car?

criminaltc 10-31-2013 03:39 PM

I said it in my post above a couple times. Next to your horns mounted on the brace that runs in front of your radiator towards the front of the car inbetween the bumper and radiator.

Newman 10-31-2013 03:52 PM

I'd check that sensor OP, maybe something is wrapped around it like a leaf or some plastic got melted on it or dirt, idk something is throwing it off.

criminaltc 10-31-2013 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by criminaltc (Post 4131044)
Maybe something is stuck to your sensor.

Exactly.

Newman 10-31-2013 04:11 PM

doh, its in one of those longer paragraphs that i never finish reading :P

Let us know what the fix was, Jbarker1983!