Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion tC 2G Owners Lounge (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-tc-2g-owners-lounge-1824/)
-   -   horrible mpg (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-tc-2g-owners-lounge-1824/horrible-mpg-211710/)

210of2200RS7 02-08-2012 04:13 AM

horrible mpg

i do have a heavy foot. but since i installed my intake and header I've have not been getting the same mpg as i was before i installed them any one else have this issue?

DeAnzaJig 02-08-2012 04:28 AM

any check engine lights? are your o2 sensors set up correctly?

fun173 02-08-2012 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by 210of2200RS7 (Post 3972085)
i do have a heavy foot. but since i installed my intake and header I've have not been getting the same mpg as i was before i installed them any one else have this issue?

What MPG's are you getting. Did you remove the battery for installation? Removing the battery will reset the MPG'ometer and if you step on it after install it will be very low.

As an example. After I installed my motor mount i was testing it and stepping on it. I checked my MPG's and they were very low.

ProjectTC2 02-08-2012 12:19 PM

^^ x2

Remove the battery, let it sit for 5 mins or so and it will reset the ECU. Your ECU has to configure to your new air/fuel ratio

210of2200RS7 02-08-2012 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by DeAnzaJig (Post 3972089)
any check engine lights? are your o2 sensors set up correctly?

no lights and the o2 sensors are set up correctly

210of2200RS7 02-08-2012 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by fun173 (Post 3972097)
What MPG's are you getting. Did you remove the battery for installation? Removing the battery will reset the MPG'ometer and if you step on it after install it will be very low.

As an example. After I installed my motor mount i was testing it and stepping on it. I checked my MPG's and they were very low.

i have been driving a little more ___ hole like since i installed the parts lol but i was getting like 25 before i put the parts on. I'm gonna let the rest of this tank go I'm at the 1/2 way mark and I've got 135 miles from 1/2 a tank. i just had my oil changed as well I'm at 8600 miles. before i got the oil done i was getting 200 miles out of a tank not even with the looks now i will be back to getting 270 plus

scottobahn 02-08-2012 08:52 PM

You dont need to disconnect the battery to reset the mpg's. Just hold down the button used to cycle through your odo on the gauge cluster for a few seconds while you are on the mpg display, that will reset it to 0

Originally Posted by fun173 (Post 3972097)

Druidiron 02-08-2012 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by scottobahn (Post 3972363)
You dont need to disconnect the battery to reset the mpg's. Just hold down the button used to cycle through your odo on the gauge cluster for a few seconds while you are on the mpg display, that will reset it to 0

You are right, but that is not what he was saying. He said IF he disconnected the battery the MPG WOULD reset. Not "that is how you do it."

scottobahn 02-08-2012 10:36 PM

haha my bad, I re-read that post....I'm a dee dee dee

Druidiron 02-08-2012 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by scottobahn (Post 3972401)
haha my bad, I re-read that post....I'm a dee dee dee

Haha, no worries. Truth is, I do that all the time and this was my one chance to correct someone instead of always being corrected....so I jumped on it! Sorry. :lalala:

fun173 02-09-2012 12:02 AM

I did not know you could re-set it by holding the button :redface:

210of2200RS7 02-09-2012 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by Druidiron (Post 3972397)
You are right, but that is not what he was saying. He said IF he disconnected the battery the MPG WOULD reset. Not "that is how you do it."

the screen says I'm getting averaging 19.5 tomorrow I'm going to reset my ecu it might just be a little use to my driving habits. I'm going to get down to the end of the tank as possible and then fill it up and see how many miles i get. which sucks is I'm home thurs-sunday and I'm usually driving around my town like a ___ zooming in and out of traffic and trying to break my all time record to get to my girlfriends house which is on the other side of my town. so i might just wait till monday

fun173 02-09-2012 05:14 AM

I had it down to 16.8 after the GGP install :D

KidJustin 02-09-2012 06:41 AM

i actually use my GPS to track my MPG

no matter what my screen says...i usually get 23-25 mpg on my GPS

WellesleyScion 02-09-2012 05:23 PM

The avg mpg guage on the instrument cluster is exactly that. an AVERAGE of your miles per gallon. Resetting it/disconnecting the battery will remove the average, and you will need to start all over. seeing that it reads 25mpg avg. over the last 6 months will not be the same average over the last 6 days...

I was getting 25.2 average prior to my pulley install. I reset it the same day to see if it would go up or down with the install, but I wont be able to get an accurate reading for another few weeks...

Errikos 02-10-2012 12:09 AM

hmm i usually get 19.7-20.6.... but then again i dont do much highway driving only thing ive done is CAI the pulley & exhaust going in next week wonder whats gonna happen

devanb3 02-10-2012 10:57 PM

ok no one is answering the actual question or asking the correct question..
i also had this problem when i first got my manual went from 28-30 mpg to 23-25

first off what kind of intake and header did you install if its a cold air intake

you will actually gain mpgs if you are "gunning it" due to the way they work... CAIs take cold air from away from the engine and uses it to allow for better combustion. theoretically this should increase fuel economy; however, Cold air intakes will produce more power, and will save gas if the engine operates only at Wide Open Throttle.
However, under 90% of driving, the warmer Air Intakes are more efficient because the engine is throttled and under less than full load.
therefore having a cold air intake will give you better hp and torque and gas mileage under wide open throttle and a warmer air intake or stock will allow for a decrease in hp and torque but better gas mileage under normal everyday driving

sources:
lots of research when i was having the same problem

modelTc 02-15-2012 09:43 PM

Lets do some MPG calcs... 1) Fill the tank, 2) Reset your trip OD, 3) Drive any amount (over 100 mi preferably), 4) Refill tank and note the amount of fuel in gals, 5) Divide the miles driven by the # of gals...we now have MPG, 6) Reset the trip OD for the next measurement.

I have 7k miles on a manual 2012. Prior to boosting I would get a measurement of 30-31 MPG and the average on the meter was around 29.5. Now that I'm boosted the meter has me at 30 but by my measurements I'm getting 26 (just today). This was my first tank through. I'll update on the next tank.

engifineer 02-15-2012 10:07 PM

Devanb,

A cold air intake creates more power because colder air is more dense. This means that for a given volume you can add more fuel, thus creating more power, by burning more fuel at once. That is why CAI = better economy is a farce. The only supposed gain in fuel efficiency is from the "less restrictive" setup, not from the cooler air.

In reality though on most modern small engines they create a negligible amount of hp and have little to no effect on mileage.

modelTc 02-20-2012 08:28 PM

^^This