Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion tC 2G Owners Lounge (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-tc-2g-owners-lounge-1824/)
-   -   Recommended "First Mod" Thread (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-tc-2g-owners-lounge-1824/recommended-first-mod-thread-229587/)

KidJustin 11-10-2014 06:07 PM

Recommended "First Mod" Thread

I've been notice a lot...I mean A LOT of new owners, new to the forum, asking for suggestions on what their "first mod" should be.

Personally I think it's all up to the owner, but that's just me and I might not be part of the majority.

So I decided to close any "first mod" threads and createda central/official thread. Now it's the communities turn. Please comment below if you have any recommendations OR questions. I will update this post with your replies so hopefully we can have a pretty good list for new owners to reference.

disaster06 11-13-2014 05:36 AM

Pulley and braces

ScionDP 12-04-2014 02:06 AM

DIY Beginner: Front Strut Bar, nice and easy install

DIY Intermediate: Cold Air Intake, a bit more expertise required to install this

DIY Advanced: Lowering Spring, you'll need an extra set of hands and a few variety of tools along with some mechanical experience

CONCRETETC 12-04-2014 02:10 AM

AP Pulley for sure

Basebllstar 12-04-2014 01:30 PM

Suspension. Coilovers specifically, if you can afford them; springs will suffice if that's what you can afford. Sway bars will also help with body roll. Those two mods will make the drive more enjoyable.

detailz03 12-05-2014 06:50 PM

Hey Guys, this is a great idea for a forum (I literally came here to ask these questions and join the community). And hopefully my post can contribute to helping build a starting point for others.

In a few months, maybe around March? I'll be getting the 2015 Scion tC, and I'm excited about it.

However, I want to make some changes and I'm not sure what is worth and not worth ordering from the dealership.

Lets assume I have zero knowledge on working on this type of car and probably no tools (my current car is a 77).
(Also links/names of recommended products would be great).

So from the factory, are any of these things worth getting? Or would it be cheaper/better to get aftermarket? (Assuming I have money to get all the needed aftermarket items)
EXTERIOR
*Rear Spoiler
*Paint Protection Film
*Fog Lights
*Carbon Fiber B-Pillar Applique
*Mudgaurds

INTERIOR
*Interior light & illuminated sill
*Auto-Dimming Rear view Mirror
*Security System
*BeSPOKE Premium Audio

Performance
*TRD High Performance Brake Kit
*Air Filter
*Exhaust
*Front Strut Tie Brace
*Lowering Springs

Service & Protection
?

Now to get more involved in changing things out.
Exterior
*I want to change out the hood, however I'm going to get a black car, and carbon fiber doesn't seem to go well with that. What are some great sites for custom hoods that will be painted? Does it have to be 2014/15 specific?
*I like the car to be lowered at least an inch, it looks better and I prefer to have great handling (it's what I'm use to compared to my old car).
*Stubby Antenna or alternative?
*Halo/Angel eyes? (Nothing too blinding, I've seen other cars put in some terribly bright ones and it just looks terrible. BMW's stock ones seem great).

Interior
*Push to start and Smart unlock should be standard. What are some great aftermarket installs?
*Back Up camera?

Anything else worth mentioning? Lamb doors? Grillie replacement? Body Kits/Aero, spoilers...etc...etc..

I realize others have posted suggestions, could we have people go into more detail about the advantage of the item/what it does & a (few) websites worth checking out?

ScionDP 12-08-2014 05:23 AM

Everything you listed is subject to opinion. For suggestions or recommendations to be made, more information on what you would be using it for would help. From the things you want to add on to your future car, it seems like you just want it to look cool with good handling. If that's the case then it really comes down to what mods are worth it to you and what your preference is.

cbeaty 02-03-2015 05:43 PM

My First Mod

my first 3 mods were a k&n short ram intake, a tsudo s2 catback, and lowering springs. also i have switched out all my lights to leds and changned my tailights to spyders and installed HIDS. currently im saving for a TWM short throw and strut bars.

disaster06 02-03-2015 08:49 PM

first mod should be a nice TWM weighted shift knob... kinda like the one in my signature below ;-)

jct 02-03-2015 10:11 PM

lower it, it's always lower it! no matter what lower it

KidJustin 02-04-2015 02:26 PM

^and then after you lower it...

...lower it again!

deviant_tc 02-04-2015 08:46 PM

my first mod on my '15 was HIDs. i already had a couple kits from my old car. then came some fog lights with another set of 3K HIDs. 20% tint all around. all bulbs to LEDs. then tsudo exhaust and injen intake. not sure what to do next. possibly springs/wheels or coils. i drive 100 miles a day, so i'm not sure how long i'd be able to stand coils.

jct 02-05-2015 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by KidJustin (Post 4164240)
^and then after you lower it...

...lower it again!

i like to lay windshield

criminaltc 02-05-2015 09:59 PM

jct just pumped it up a notch. Who scrapes frame daily anymore? Weez scraping w'shield now baby.

silverside88 03-23-2015 02:06 AM

I got my tC last tuesday and I just put my fog lights in it today. Looks so much better already! I'm getting the windows tinted this coming friday.

Jeanmarc19 03-28-2015 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by CONCRETETC (Post 4161763)
AP Pulley for sure

What dose the ap pulley do?

criminaltc 03-31-2015 12:47 PM

AP is Agency Power. They are a performance part manufacturer. The light weight crank pulley is a reduced weight from the stock one, allowing the crank to turn more "freely", allowing for quicker acceleration.

Jeanmarc19 03-31-2015 12:49 PM

Ap pulley

Oh great , is it expensive?

criminaltc 03-31-2015 12:59 PM

No. Very affordable. Like $150. Read up on the pros and cons. Some people are finding long term issues after they've had it on for a few years. Get your own opinion first by reading around.

Jeanmarc19 03-31-2015 01:38 PM

Great thank you