Notices
Scion tC 2G Owners Lounge
2011-____ [ANT20]

Remote Start on 2011 tC (Viper 5901)

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 07:54 PM

Exclamation Remote Start on 2011 tC (Viper 5901)

I was wondering if anyone else here got remote start installed on their new tC, because I got one installed by Bestbuy, the Viper 5901, and everything worked fine until it got cold. Normally whens its above 40 Degrees F it will start but for some weird reason it refuses to start when it gets colder, it just attempts to start 3 times and fails. The guys at best-buy tried adjusting the crank time to the highest amount they would be willing to put it and still no luck. They even tried to do a direct connection to the tack or something like that, which still didn't yield any new results other than having the car think it was on and run the accessories like the radio. The installers at bestbuy basically gave up on my car telling me to just remove it and said they can't do anything else they even tried soldering the connections which still didn't change anything. So I was wondering if anyone else got this installed and if so if you have the same problems and if anyone has any suggestions that would be nice.. Thanks...
Old 01-26-2011, 10:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Honestly, first, never let Best Buy touch your car. Their personnel is oftentimes shady, incompetent, or both. And when they mess up, they're always quick to blame the equipment instead of their own workmanship.

Second, I'd think twice before installing a third-party auto start system. Sometimes they interfere with your factory wiring/electronics, and they will sometimes turn your engine too long during cranks, destroying your starter.

I'd go with the Scion remote start system. It's more expensive, but it will be installed by competent mechanics that know how to work on Toyota cars. It is also guaranteed to work well with your car, and will not void your warranty if something goes wrong as a result of it's operation.
Old 01-27-2011, 01:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Bottom Line: If Best Buy gave up on you, feel free to give up on them and go somewhere (like you're dealer) where they'll do the work right.

I've got mixed feelings on the whole remote start thing. The technology has been around long enough, it's pretty much plug 'n' play these days and I realize the Scion version doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the Viper, but may work better. If nothing else, Scion will cover any damage it may cause. I disagree, however, with the assessment of the technicians. Best Buy hires some incompetent people, but they also hire some very good ones. Same holds true for Toyota and every other company out there. I find one rule works well: trust NO ONE.

If you're still looking to troubleshoot, does your car start and die or just crank without turning over?
- If the engine starts and then dies, it's probably not the Viper. Remote starter, properly wired in to the tach, will crank for about 1/4 sec after it registers RPMs.
- If it just cranks but doesn't turn the engine over, you probably aren't getting enough power to the starter. That can be from a number of things, including installation or hardware.

Anyway, the remote start should really be tied in to the tach no matter what so the remote start will crank the engine until it registers rpms. That way it cranks longer in the cold and shorter when it's warm. You really don't want a predetermined crank time.
Old 03-13-2011, 01:29 PM

I have the 5901 starter/alarm installed in my 2011 xB and it works beautifully. Hot or Cold. (so far... Knock on wood)
Old 03-14-2011, 08:16 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have a Clifford 50.7x alarm+remote start and i've yet to have a problem with it. Got it installed at an alarm shop and everything is working fine, no blown fuses or funny wiring issues yet
Old 03-14-2011, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by rAaR
I have a Clifford 50.7x alarm+remote start and i've yet to have a problem with it. Got it installed at an alarm shop and everything is working fine, no blown fuses or funny wiring issues yet
Really? How cold does it get where you live? My car will refuse to start remotely if it's colder than 35 degrees fahrenheit.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:28 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

lol its phoenix, whats cold? nah just kidding, actually when that cold front came through the southwest like 2-3 weeks ago it actually got below 35 some nights, but starting it in that temperature i never had to do. Started up in the morning just fine though.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One
SL Member

i have a clifford 50.7x alarm and remote start on my 1st gen tC and it installed by a alarm shop and its been fine although its only been cold but if it works in the cold i dont know why it wouldnt work in the warm
Old 12-15-2011, 12:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Get a dei bitwriter, go into programming go to smart start temp and battery settings and turn them to off. That should fix your problem. If you don't have one I am sure the guys at best buy or any dei dealer will.

I am a best buy installer btw..

To all of you who talk crap your idiots, a few bad apples and you slander 1100 shops. If you get an _______ of a mechanic at toyota dealer do you say toyota dealerships suck and don't know anything go to another mechanic. No you say try a different dealer, why is this any different? I've worked at bby for 6 years as an installer and 2 mom n pop shops before that.

Let me know if that fixes your issue. I had the same trouble except it was when it was hot out and that fixed it. Had multiple customers with 5701 and 5901 with the same issue and it fixed it.

Oh and Mighty P I see your in Goodyear, AZ I have family there and used to live just down the street I miss it there.
Old 12-15-2011, 12:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by RedDragons

I am a best buy installer btw..

To all of you who talk crap your idiots, a few bad apples and you slander 1100 shops.
i work at a stereo shop as well. no matter what company you deal with, you will find some bad apples that dont know enough about what theyre doing. thats anywhere you go. hell, i had to go to two dif toyota dealerships to get my scion cuz the first one (who we do business with through my work) they had some guy who didnt know anything about scions helping me. we have some crappy installers at stores in my company, we have crappy installers at best buys around my area, but there are also several good ones at those places too

and i have a clifford 50.7 in mine with no issues. could also be iffy connections at the data wires under the hood. if they didnt solder those you need to yell at em
Old 12-17-2011, 08:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ya it just bothers me when someone (who obviously is not in the field) bad mouths, or even worse someone who is, I just can't sit idly by I gotta say my piece.

I seriously think my fix should correct the problem, it is an issue with the alarm brains and that fixes it I have had a LOT of customers come back and once we figured it out we have stopped seeing the problem.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:28 PM
5 Year Member

I installed a viper 5901 in my 09 tc and worked flawlessly for years. i just traded it in for a 2012 tc rs and plan on installing one in that one too. the problem isnt Best Buy, its whos working on the car. You just have to make sure you go to the right Best Buy. Always ask the installer how long theyve been installing. If they say 6 months, then maybe your shouldnt have him work on such an advanced install like a remote starter. If they say six years, then im sure he has a few hundred remote starts under his belt by then.
Old 03-22-2012, 03:32 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

im swimming in everythin VIPER. got remote start/alarm/remote one touch windows/tilt sensor and all work amazing!

Ted is jealous every time he sees my windows roll up when I lock the car

BIG no to best buy though, i got it installed at reputable car audio installers

and got all of them on amazon for 1/3 the retail price!