Scion tC 2G Owners Lounge
2011-____ [ANT20]

Scion tc 4700 miles check engine light comes and goes

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 07:29 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Scion tc 4700 miles check engine light comes and goes

It happened when the gas pump over flowed tank. I figured it was coming on because needs oil changes, it just happened to trigger after this pump. It doesn't stay on, will be on every other time I'm running car then be off next time. Anyway been getting 24mpg 2 days later I noticed cars eating fuel bad refilled up

17mpg like 100 miles at 5.6gallons of fuel.

When it's time for oil change does the check engine light stay on 24-7? Or does it turn on one time driving or then off the next or blink and disappear I called dealership and il be takin it to get seen if next tank of fuel is bad mpg.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

well, upon start up the malfunction indicator lamp (the one that looks like a little engine) will do a bulb check as well as all of the other lamps ie. air bags, abs, tpms if you have one so on and so forth...

no when your getting close to service for and oil change your MAINT REQ light will remain lit until you or your service center resets it during an oil changer

the check engine light will not illuminate when you need an oil change

now judging by the fact you over filled your gas tank my guess is you filled your charcoal canister with raw fuel and possibly have an evaporative issue with the MIL light on and off...

go get the code pulled at an autozone or the like... even with the light off the code should remain in history and can be pulled...

otherwise, time you take it to your mechanic...
Old 01-21-2013, 11:59 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Think too much fuel got into the Evap lines. I just filled and took a 120 mile drive, came back refueled. 32mpg calculated both ways, the tc computer said 31.8mpg
And the gas pump divided by the miles on odometer said like 32.2 very happy especially since its winter fuel.

Both the mait light and check engine both went away. At 4800 something miles so I find it odd mait light went away since I do need oil change. The canister probably dried up from the over fuel. I'm only gonna pump it on slow for now on. The fastest setting completely made it flow out.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:20 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Maintenance light only blinks for a few seconds upon start up, it will then turn off until next restart.

For your check engine light, sounds like you have fuel in the charcoal canister. I would just keep driving as the fuel will evaporate. Either way, get the code pulled just to be sure.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:35 PM
5 Year Member

Is it the check engine light or is it a maintenance light? if its a check engine light if it ever stays on long enough go to autozone and get it checked they do it free.

For the tC 1st gen if the maintenance light blinks means you will need to change your oil soon, once it hits 5k it will stay on.

So probably you will need to change your oil soon, if you already have reset your light. I'm not sure if its the same as the the tC 1 resetting it but try out their method.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Resetting Oil Maintenance light is alot different than Gen One.
As someone stated, an error caused by an over flowed gas tank will usually go away after you drive for a few days and the fuel evaporates. Don t freak out.
Also you should really stop pumping when the Gas Pump stops. Squeezing out that extra half a gallon will cause problems like this.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:37 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by StatuSCheckA
Resetting Oil Maintenance light is alot different than Gen One.
As someone stated, an error caused by an over flowed gas tank will usually go away after you drive for a few days and the fuel evaporates. Don t freak out.
Also you should really stop pumping when the Gas Pump stops. Squeezing out that extra half a gallon will cause problems like this.
that actually looks about the same thing haha..
Old 01-25-2013, 07:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rs70936
that actually looks about the same thing haha..
Ok maybe I used the term alot dramatically. But on the Gen One you just press the button and turn the ignition to on and wait 10 seconds. Thats it.

There were a few more steps in Gen Two including making sure your on the right indicator page, etc; it took me like 4 dang tries. And I still can't do it from memory.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:55 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by StatuSCheckA
Ok maybe I used the term alot dramatically. But on the Gen One you just press the button and turn the ignition to on and wait 10 seconds. Thats it.

There were a few more steps in Gen Two including making sure your on the right indicator page, etc; it took me like 4 dang tries. And I still can't do it from memory.
Put on trip A, put key on off, hold down trip reset, turn key onto on, wait for the lines go away and done.