Notices
Scion tC 2G Owners Lounge
2011-____ [ANT20]

Searching for a new DD. How are your tC2's?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 06:53 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by FromTheOld
I just heel and toe to blip the throttle since the response is so slow. Although it's not like I am launching the car up a hill or anything of that sort.

What's your definition of grinding? For me, in the cold temps (under 30 degs) on startup, it is hard for me to get the car into second, fifth, and sixth gear. No feeling of grinds or noises, just hard to physically get it into gear without feeling like the shifter is fighting me.
Feels like the trans is sticking? Or it feels like peanut butter is the lubricant until it warms up. What you described is what I had except for it was only very evident in 2nd gear. Grinding, if you changed gears too quick in the cold it would be notchy/grind at times. Redline fixed all of that.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:11 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have an auto 2014 tc
so far i love it but a few annoyances
1) sunroof rattles like hell. (covered under warranty, just havent had time to take it in yet)
2) random rattles here and there but easy fixes (current fix is blasting music)

as for the alternator i had to pay close attention to hear it on mine, not major or a concern though. the rear window i just bought a panoramic mirror from target and its perfect to see out the rear. i disliked the cargo cover (i was lucky enough to have a faulty one -.-) but i just made a hard cover and its great.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by russiankid
Feels like the trans is sticking? Or it feels like peanut butter is the lubricant until it warms up. What you described is what I had except for it was only very evident in 2nd gear. Grinding, if you changed gears too quick in the cold it would be notchy/grind at times. Redline fixed all of that.
Yeah, the transmission feels notchy in 2nd/5th/6th in these cold temps around here. I might switch to Amsoil MTG or one of the Redline fluids. I'll have to take a look over at the viscosity ratings.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:54 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, the transmission feels notchy in 2nd/5th/6th in these cold temps around here. I might switch to Amsoil MTG or one of the Redline fluids. I'll have to take a look over at the viscosity ratings.
I ran Amsoil before and it didn't do anything. Redline has very low viscosity in cold temperatures, down to 0F, in comparison to other fluids. They have a bunch of charts online that compare it to other fluids.
Old 03-04-2014, 03:44 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Cant go wrong with a Toyota, just cheap interior which i love because it can easily be torn apart. I love this car because its so easy to work on
Old 03-04-2014, 03:59 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'll second the tearing it apart, I have never moved so easily through a car to get to something haha. And the rattles because of it is an easy cheap fix.

Sent from JARVIS
Old 03-04-2014, 05:42 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'll second the tearing it apart, I have never moved so easily through a car to get to something haha. And the rattles because of it is an easy cheap fix.

Sent from JARVIS
Old 03-04-2014, 06:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I ran Amsoil before and it didn't do anything. Redline has very low viscosity in cold temperatures, down to 0F, in comparison to other fluids. They have a bunch of charts online that compare it to other fluids.
Yup, I know. Redline 75W-85 is looking the best right now for me.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:02 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yup, I know. Redline 75W-85 is looking the best right now for me.
I am running MTL.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I am running MTL.
Yea I know. I think I would rather use 75w-85 to avoid a liquid that is not viscous enough at higher temps.
Old 03-05-2014, 03:27 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yea I know. I think I would rather use 75w-85 to avoid a liquid that is not viscous enough at higher temps.
According to Redline, MTL is 75w80 if I remember correctly. The difference between 75w80 and 75w85 is not all that significant. Either way it will be a lot better than the original.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

According to Redline, MTL is 75w80 if I remember correctly. The difference between 75w80 and 75w85 is not all that significant. Either way it will be a lot better than the original.
I know they're not that much different. the 75W-80 and 75W-85 have similar flash points, pouring points. Those two fluids are much different than the MT-90 (75W-90) by a huge margin though because the 75W-90 has a much higher viscosity centistoke value at normal operating temperatures.

Maybe I'll try the MTL after all though. I'd just get too worried about having too "thin" of a fluid at hotter temps and risk protection to gears/bearings.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:22 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I know they're not that much different. the 75W-80 and 75W-85 have similar flash points, pouring points. Those two fluids are much different than the MT-90 (75W-90) by a huge margin though because the 75W-90 has a much higher viscosity centistoke value at normal operating temperatures.

Maybe I'll try the MTL after all though. I'd just get too worried about having too "thin" of a fluid at hotter temps and risk protection to gears/bearings.
I understand where you're coming from and I too had this thought before I switched over. The book calls for 75w gear oil, but it doesn't specify what viscosity is recommended for operating temps. From what I understand the factory fluid is most likely 75W85. Having a higher viscosity with higher temperatures does help with damage, but different friction modifiers also play a huge role and Redline takes that into account with their fluids. Either way you go, I am sure it will be fine.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:10 PM

iv been reading this thread for a while a now. So would you guys would recommended getting a transmission oil change from factory to redline to reduce noise from the transmission. I might go to Valvoline and get my oil changed
Old 03-05-2014, 11:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I understand where you're coming from and I too had this thought before I switched over. The book calls for 75w gear oil, but it doesn't specify what viscosity is recommended for operating temps. From what I understand the factory fluid is most likely 75W85. Having a higher viscosity with higher temperatures does help with damage, but different friction modifiers also play a huge role and Redline takes that into account with their fluids. Either way you go, I am sure it will be fine.
Yeah, Toyota is too vague. They say "Genuine Transmission Fluid LV", with LV as low viscosity, but even fluids of the same weight specification can have different viscosities (see Amsoil MTG vs Redline MT-90).

I may not have to change the fluid though because it's about to get warmer here in NJ.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jayden007
iv been reading this thread for a while a now. So would you guys would recommended getting a transmission oil change from factory to redline to reduce noise from the transmission. I might go to Valvoline and get my oil changed
Take a read at some of the more educated oil/fluid sites (like BITOG, for example). They spend a lot of time doing UOA and all that good stuff. My car sounds normal but in these cold temperatures (0-30 deg) it's tough when the trans hasn't been running for awhile. It really depends on the climate you live in.
Old 03-06-2014, 01:15 AM

yeah i know. I havent driven my car in warm weather yet so im not sure how well it drives because it has been so cold. Maybe il wait until it gets warmer to see if i should switch oil.