Notices
Scion tC 2G Owners Lounge
2011-____ [ANT20]

In for sunroof 'extreme' rattle

Old 08-08-2012, 04:01 PM

Default In for sunroof 'extreme' rattle

So finally got around to getting the dealership to look into my sunroof rattle. I have read around here about little noises like creaks and squeaks and what not from the sunroof but mine was another issue. I say 'extreme' because in the tilted position going over bumps it sounded as if the roof was going to break right off it's brackets. Anyone in my car would be like... WTF is THAT?! Basically what is happening is it shakes left to right.

So after thinking that they would throw it under the rug and say that's normal the mechanic said there is a definite problem there. It is in right now for fixing. I'm assuming they will just replace the existing hardware as there may have been a failure somewhere.

Anyways, for those who have a crazy rattle in their sunroof, when I get the car back I will report back and supply any info the dealership gives me like part numbers (if it fixes the problem that is).
Old 08-08-2012, 06:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by element6
I say 'extreme' because in the tilted position going over bumps it sounded as if the roof was going to break right off it's brackets. Anyone in my car would be like... WTF is THAT?! Basically what is happening is it shakes left to right.
Mine used to do that too and I thought it was normal.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:45 PM

So the dealership called me back. They put a case into Toyota and got a response immediately. Apparently there are new 'updated' parts due to this issue. New sliders from what I gather.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mine must've been defective too then. That used to freak out my friends.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mine is making the same noise except for the breaking sound..and i made the mistake of going through an automatic car wash and me and the interior got soaked -_-
Old 08-09-2012, 01:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Toyota just released a technical service bulliten for this issue yesterday for updated parts to get rid of the noise concerns
Old 08-09-2012, 01:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by RyanstC
Toyota just released a technical service bulliten for this issue yesterday for updated parts to get rid of the noise concerns
wait, what?

can i take my car in and get this?
Old 08-09-2012, 01:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by XerotC
wait, what?

can i take my car in and get this?
If only you are experiencing the issue and they can hear it happening, it doesnt apply to all 2nd gen tC's but only on certain ones, and it depends on the VIN number if its covered under the service bulletin
Old 08-09-2012, 03:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

IF your vin# is BEFORE this
JTKJF5C7#D3047094 then you qualify for this TSB.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by ROCKLANDTOYOTA
IF your vin# is BEFORE this
JTKJF5C7#D3047094 then you qualify for this TSB.
@ Rockland: I don't see this TSB show up in any of the searches. Has it not been officially published?

Ha, how timely that they have an apparent fix for this problem. I've had the same roof open rattle you describe PLUS the roof closed temperature dependent popping. I took it into the dealer about a year ago, but they didn't really fix it. They put some sticky backed felt in some places with no change. The felt has since peeled off.

I just opened a case with Scion Customer Service regarding this issue because I can't stand the rattles any longer. I went the corporate route because I didn't want to waste any more of the dealership's time if Scion was aware of the problem. It sounds like they ARE aware of the issues we are having with the roof. So far Scion Customer Service has been very polite and helpful. I am waiting on them to get back in touch with me regarding getting the car in for service. Hopefully everything continues to go smoothly.

Hopefully this fix does the trick. I'll report back here once I have some concrete results.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:06 PM

Hey guys, I am out right now but I have the part #s in the invoice they gave me. My car has to go back in again as these parts are "Special Order" only.

This way at least you can show your dealership (if they don't want to co-operate) that there is updated parts for the sunroof.

I will post up what my car needed, again if it serves any use in the future for anyone.
Old 08-10-2012, 05:26 PM

Here is the part numbers that my car needs. These are the updated parts.

# 63295-21020 - Pad. Sliding Roof
# 63202-21051 - Rail Sub Assy, SL
Old 08-10-2012, 05:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by shawn3550
@ Rockland: I don't see this TSB show up in any of the searches. Has it not been officially published?

Ha, how timely that they have an apparent fix for this problem. I've had the same roof open rattle you describe PLUS the roof closed temperature dependent popping. I took it into the dealer about a year ago, but they didn't really fix it. They put some sticky backed felt in some places with no change. The felt has since peeled off.

I just opened a case with Scion Customer Service regarding this issue because I can't stand the rattles any longer. I went the corporate route because I didn't want to waste any more of the dealership's time if Scion was aware of the problem. It sounds like they ARE aware of the issues we are having with the roof. So far Scion Customer Service has been very polite and helpful. I am waiting on them to get back in touch with me regarding getting the car in for service. Hopefully everything continues to go smoothly.

Hopefully this fix does the trick. I'll report back here once I have some concrete results.
S-SB-0012-12 WAS RELEASED on 8/6/2012......
Old 08-10-2012, 05:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by element6
Here is the part numbers that my car needs. These are the updated parts.

# 63295-21020 - Pad. Sliding Roof
# 63202-21051 - Rail Sub Assy, SL
THE 63202-21051 part is NOT part of TSB and is something dealer felt you needed as well.....
Old 08-10-2012, 06:29 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah mine does that too when its fully open
Old 08-10-2012, 07:26 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by shawn3550

if you have access to the Toyota system you can find it in there. i found it in the system its new so it will be hard to see online.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:40 PM

Mine does when it's open,

and ticks/cracks when it's closed and cold.. Its scary/annoying haha

I hope I qualify
Old 08-12-2012, 11:26 PM
SL Member

i work at a toyota dealership so im having my service adviser look it up for me tomorrow
Old 08-13-2012, 12:41 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by MnMs
i work at a toyota dealership so im having my service adviser look it up for me tomorrow
Yea they are really easy to look up its the latest tsb in there for the TC2.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:11 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mine is quiet unless it is tilted up, it rattles a decent amount over bumps in the tilt position. I narrowed it down to the wind deflector. The glass does move while driving or going over bumps, but if you hold the wind deflector down by hand over bumps it doesn't rattle. Anyone experience this?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: In for sunroof 'extreme' rattle