Notices
Scion tC 2G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

EBC Yellow Stuff Brakes Review

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 08:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default EBC Yellow Stuff Brakes Review

EDIT: Make note! Only the front brake pads work for the tC2!

A while back I began my search for brake upgrades that could improve my Autocross time without breaking the bank. I decided pads and stainless steel lines were the way to go and after some research, went with EBC pads. (still researching the lines) So here is my review of the EBC Brakes Yellow Stuff Pads for the tC2. If you choose to get the Red or Green Stuff pads, you will see some differences.

Pros: Neck breaking stopping power without a full brake upgrade. Pads break in quickly. Clean, smooth stopping. Very easy installation.

Cons: More brake dust (thus more squeaking) than stock.

Review: Bottom line, these brake pads are great. They stop my car as effortlessly as Jason Bourne taking down a local bad guy. Given the relatively low cost for the performance gains and the importance of brakes on any car, I would definitely put these on the “must have” list of mods.

The 3 main levels of pads EBC makes is Green (very low dust with the same stopping power as stock), Red (same amount of dust as stock, but more stopping power), and Yellow (street-legal racing pads). If you know me at all, you know I’d have to think harder on whether or not to roll up my windows when I wash my car than on which pads I’d want of those three. So EBC sent me Yellow Stuff pads.

When I first opened the box, my heart sank as I saw the inner box said “Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix” on it. Thankfully there is a Google and I was quickly able to verify these were in fact the correct pads. Whew!!! I installed the pads that night, which took about 30 min total.

Taking it easy for the first 150 or so miles, I was surprised to find out even the Yellow Stuff pads are very tame during light braking. At first, I wondered if they were going to be any better than stock in raw braking power. Oh buddy… These pads are deceptively powerful. The first time I decided to stop a little faster (what I would consider “normal” braking) was coming off the freeway. Applying the same pressure (and feeling just like stock pads used to) I was at almost a complete stop only halfway to my intended stopping point. From there, I turned on the road to my house, and at the next light, decided to use a little more pressure… which sent everything on my passenger seat flying. After a quick inventory to ensure none of the stuff now on the floor was broken, I had only one word, “Cool!”

The latest step for my review is with what I consider firm braking. If hard braking is what you do during a race or to avoid hitting a child running out into the street, firm braking is what I would do if I realized I couldn’t make a yellow light before it turned red. With the new pads, firm braking sent my ABS into a frenzy. Much like hard braking with my stock pads, firm with the new ones overpowers the stock tires and the ABS goes crazy trying to keep the wheels from locking up. While this is certainly impressive, it poses one problem. My new pads have way more to give than my stock tires can handle. I feel like I have a supercar and can only drive it up to 45 mph. Ugh. But I will be getting new tires fairly soon, so I will continue to update my review as I can.

Hope this helps if you’re deciding whether to upgrade your pads!

Last edited by MightyP; 02-20-2012 at 04:52 PM.
Old 12-18-2011, 02:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nice review... Might cop me a pair after I purchase some new aftermarket rotors up front.
Old 12-18-2011, 01:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Good job as usual bud, send me a set for Christmas. Tires do help this car tons, still glad they were one of my first upgrades. I expect one of your stellar reviews on the Descendant Exhaust as well. I have been waiting to hear your thoughts after the "new toy" syndrome wore off.
Old 12-18-2011, 07:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Awesome review. I will purchase these since you did such a good review. Thanks!
Old 12-18-2011, 08:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Haha. Thanks guys. I wasn't planning on a review of the exhaust because so many people have already reviewed it, but I might.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:18 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

This might not be the right place to ask but I was wondering how many miles these EBC "yellow stuff" brake pads will last? I am considering getting some but first I want to see if I can afford it down the line...

Also, does anyone know (on average) how many miles aftermarket brake rotors last?

Thanks guys
Old 01-11-2012, 11:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mighty, where did you purchase your pads? I work for O'Reilly's and I can't even special order them :/
Old 01-12-2012, 04:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

EBC sent 'em to me to review. Though I've seen them online.
Old 01-12-2012, 04:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

http://www.fastscions.com/ebc-yellow...-DP41792R.aspx

They're actually the same front pads as the Toyota Matrix/Pontiac Vibe 09+.

I have a set as well and I'll be putting them on in the next week or two and I have a track event at Talladega in a month so I'll be putting about 2 hours of track time on these pads. I'll be sure to have a thorough review up then.
Old 01-29-2012, 07:55 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Awesome review! I plan on purchasing these along with the StopTech S/D rotors and steel braided brake lines. Thanks!
Old 01-29-2012, 05:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I installed my set yesterday, I'll be posting up a review in a few weeks since they do have a ~500 mile break-in period. Currently there is a quiet squeal at really light braking which I'm assuming is due to the 'break-in layer' that's on the pads. They advise light-to-moderate use during the break-in period, and from even the usual braking I can already tell that they're better than the stock pads.

In 2 weeks, I'll be attending a track event at Talladega so I'll be putting these to the test there.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Does EBC make a ceramic pad set? I'd love to upgrade from the horribly dusting oem pads, as well as get a slightly better compound.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

EBC Green Stuff is their low dust version.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:31 PM
DaYUUM/Scion Evolution
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Roller_Toaster
Does EBC make a ceramic pad set? I'd love to upgrade from the horribly dusting oem pads, as well as get a slightly better compound.
Originally Posted by MightyP
EBC Green Stuff is their low dust version.
only the front available for now...

if anyone tells you that the rears for the 1st gen match the 2nd gen...THEY LIE!

(no offense Paul, NOT meant for the messenger )
Old 02-20-2012, 04:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by KidJustin
(no offense Paul, NOT meant for the messenger )
LOL, no worries. I'm still waiting for a response from EBC. Didn't email them until after their business hours Friday, so today would be the first day they might respond.

I still feel bad about the mix up.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:32 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

any update on rears??
Old 03-01-2012, 11:47 PM
DaYUUM/Scion Evolution
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

ebc has corrected the issue and they have green stuff for the rears pt num DP21947

No clue on yellow stuff, wait for Paul
Old 03-01-2012, 11:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'll get the info on the rear pads up when I get back to my computer.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:43 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

sweet thanks, sorry to bug but what about the reds will the rears for those match up
and would combining the greens with slotted or drilled rotors have a better impact vs just greens alone?
Old 03-02-2012, 01:04 AM
Banned
SL Member

One thing to keep in mind when using real gripy brake pads like these is that they are very ablative on the discs themselves. When I was using gripy pads, I had to replace my rotors every time I replaced my pads. The added stopping power comes at a cost. It has to come from someplace. There is no free lunch here. So, if you are looking at a cheaper way…include the cost of rotors in your calculations.

Quick Reply: EBC Yellow Stuff Brakes Review