Notices
Scion tC 2G Owners Lounge
2011-____ [ANT20]

My first post, just got my car!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 08:20 AM

Default My first post, just got my car!

Hello there, just joined the forum, just got my dream car 2 days ago, and I'm so excited!

Added the 19" wheels, Audio, Springs, spoiler, and exhaust.

Should I get the optional extended warranty? I don't drive a crazy amount but I'm no mechanic.. but it is toyota and it's new.. seems like nothing should happen..

Also would love suggestions on some cheap upgrades that would make a big difference!

Never had a new car before, any recommendations on what products to buy to keep it working well and shiny??
Attached Thumbnails My first post, just got my car!-img_9232.jpg   My first post, just got my car!-img_9233.jpg  
Old 01-30-2014, 02:46 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Welcome to the forum!
That is a nice car you got haha.

As far as dream car goes, I would expect something more valuable like a Subaru STI or Jaguar coupe or classic Barracuda or Lambo But if you love the car you're in right now, you'll enjoy it far more than the average millionaire with a lambo.

The most important thing(not really) is whether you got a manual or auto trans?
A manual tC is a different experience (and imo a more fun experience) than an auto.
But it's not a big loss if you got an auto, many owners on here have autos and love them just the same. You should have fun either way.

You got the TRD exhaust on there? how do you like the sound? Although expensive from factory, it should add a really nice sound to the car w/o the big fartcan look of some of the other exhausts.

What kind of upgrades were you looking for? if for performance, none of the bolt-ons come cheap for this car (unless you get used) and even then they do not make a difference unless you put maybe $4K into the car. The one thing that will make a difference is a turbo setup, but that costs even more. This car is expensive to modify and gains aren't big unless you put a turbo on and spend plenty of money ($5K+).

So I think you should just figure out what would make you more happy and get those parts. If you can install them yourself - great, you'll save more money.
Try to stay away from ricing the car out. It's too easy to do when you only have maybe 160 or less whp and 180 engine power and not much room for improvement with basic bolt-ons.

Forgot to mention - the one mod you'll want if you want to notice any performance improvement is the pulley upgrade. people say they can feel a noticeable boost in throttle response when they switched to a lighter crank pulley. agency power and NST sell them for our cars. probably a good use of $100.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:49 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

You should drop it with Tein S Techs! Looks awesome though! I have a 2012 Super White :D.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:53 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

You'll get all the kinks worked out with just the basic warranty. Luckily all the rattles and such appear nice and early once you get the car. Also, if you plan to mod, the extended warranty might not be your best bet considering they look for any reason to say your mods are the cause of the issue.

Like Newman mentioned, the Agency Power lightweight crank pulley is an amazing mod for the car. Frees up some good power you lose through the rotational mass of the oem crank. Grab yourself a nice cold air intake (i recommend Takeda up and down) and possibly look into the Dezod Green Header. Compliments the TRD very nicely.

Normally I'm not huge on the 19" TRD wheels but they look great on the white 2014. Congratulations!
Old 01-31-2014, 03:06 AM

Thank you for all the responses! To answer your question it is an automatic.
I will definitely research the pulley upgrade, thanks!(does the pulley void my warranty?)

Regarding upgrades, I'm more interested in looks than performance. Just looking for things I can do that cost no more than a couple of hundred that make it look even nicer. Like I am considering some illuminated lights inside.

And i looked up what Tein S Techs is, but I already got the lowering springs from the manufacturer, I listed my upgrades already in my first post.
Old 01-31-2014, 04:09 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

S techs are if you wanted to go lower in the future, though with 19" rims i think the TRD springs are plenty low. you shouldn't scrape even if you have your car loaded up.

pulley would void warranty if something happened to your engine and the dealer can point fingers to the pulley if they find it.

One way to avoid this is mod your car after the warranty expires (I think it was 25K miles or 2 years, and then the basic warranty is 3 years or 36K miles, or something similar)

The other way is to just have it installed correctly the first time to avoid any problems, and do not beat on the car. you should avoid any potential defects as long as those two things are done. so the dealer should not say anything about the pulley unless things start to go wrong.

There is a third option but it is slightly more involved, and may be unnecessary. you swap for the stock pulley before each maintenance, when you take it to the dealer. it is best to do this sort of option yourself. the downside is if you do not do it yourself - you'll waste a ton of money on installs. plus putting on the pulley and pulling it off repeatedly can in theory wear down the mount (where the pulley goes in place).
Old 01-31-2014, 04:13 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

2 year 25k mile warranty is just Scion Boost which is road side assistance, so technically not even a warranty. 3 year 36k mile is bumper to bumper, motor and trans have a 5 year 60k mile warranty.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:13 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i think the two year one is the free maintenance, so the dealer is most likely to whine about aftermarket stuff if you install in that early time period. then again it depends on the dealer. some are part friendly.
Old 02-01-2014, 12:51 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

You could get a $100 underbody lighting kit - http://www.xkglow.com/Million_Color_...p/xk041006.htm

Be sure you check with the laws in your area before using reserved colors (Red/Blue/etc) - like here in Colorado we are allowed to use amber and white, or any shade between amber and white - and not supposed to run anything else.

Congratulations on your new car.

Oh and my wife likes to have seatbelt sleeves because on a coupe the seats are a bit further forward than the seatbelts, and the belt digs into her shoulder. So we got some fabric, velcro, and ribbon binding to make our own (custom owls!!! WooHoo!). Cost us $14.50 but you could do better on that because you don't need a full yard of material. Manufactured Scion logo ones can be had for $8.43 on amazon. http://amzn.com/B008WXUK3Y

How to keep it shiny - $79 would get you a set of side moldings - to reduce dings and dents in parking lots. I got the paint package protection, but when they expire I'll be adding these if I still have the car - http://spoilerandwingking.com/2014-S...-Side-Moldings

People are always slamming their doors into other cars in parking lots - you just know it.

Last edited by KidJustin; 02-03-2014 at 03:01 PM.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:18 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nice one. I didn't think I'd like the white but it's not bad at all. My dealer only had grey on the lot and I ordered red.

Did you order the bigger spoiler specifically? Mine came with the RS8 style two tone low rise spoiler. Don't know why.
Old 02-15-2014, 07:29 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

For good inexpensive mods, window tint is a must. I did all my windows including roof, and top of the windshield. Roof makes a huge difference on hot days. G2 caliper paint really makes the car look a lot better too. Also look into a stubby antenna. Takes away from the R/C look. As for the warranty goes, I think extended is a waste of money. I have 107,000 miles on my 11, and have had no issues with anything so far. Other than that just have fun an make it look how you like it to look

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk