Notices
Scion tC 2G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Dealer quoted $550 to install TRD Springs

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 03:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Pretty happy with my S-Tech's so far. Cost me 260 total paying a friend/coworker to help me. Ride is a bit stiffer than stock, but that is to be expected when you compress a strut or shock with drop springs.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:20 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by MightyP
Why rent or buy when you can borrow?

Either Autozone or Advanced Autoparts (can't remember which) has a tool loan program. You pay a deposit ($50, I think) and have 90 days to return them for a full refund.

BTW, might mention the Scion website to the dealer. I get crazy quotes from my dealer all the time and as soon as I mention the listed price on the website, I get the, "oh... sure, we can do that."

I told the toyota guys that and still they quoted me $950!!! plus $75 for an alignment! They said it will take ~10 hours of work!
Old 06-29-2011, 04:30 AM
5 Year Member

That's ridiculous. The scion pure pricing doesn't apply to accessories?? I'm looking to get the TRD springs installed at the dealer too, but I'm not gonna pay anymore then what it says on the website.
Old 06-29-2011, 04:38 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

*smh* 4-5 hours of your time, rachet and some spring compressors = save 3-500 dollars. You are not a true car person unless you do it yourself. Get dirty ladies and gentleman. Theres a bunch of youtube videos on how to do it too! If you say you don't have time? Make time, unless you feel like blowing 3-500 on installation.
Old 06-29-2011, 04:45 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by NitOxYs
*smh* 4-5 hours of your time, rachet and some spring compressors = save 3-500 dollars. You are not a true car person unless you do it yourself. Get dirty ladies and gentleman. Theres a bunch of youtube videos on how to do it too! If you say you don't have time? Make time, unless you feel like blowing 3-500 on installation.

I would do it myself but I read how a couple people have clocked them incorrectly and now need new struts.
Old 06-29-2011, 04:50 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CrispyFShacker
I would do it myself but I read how a couple people have clocked them incorrectly and now need new struts.
Take pictures of what you take out and match them. From when we took out the springs, you'd not have to be paying attention on how to clock them. the springs fit one way in the grommet.
Old 07-04-2011, 03:02 AM

I had my tC outfitted with TRD springs as a part of the sale. Came stock, and had to take it back to the stealership to have them install the springs. $499, but I did it to have the warranty coverage (and I'm not looking for the slammed look, this is a DD for me just want it a little sportier) plus a set of H or S-techs would have been similar with the install price since I'm too lazy to do it myself. It took them 2.5 hours to slap the springs in, anything more than that and I figure you're getting bent over a barrel. I was expecting a 4 hour install from what I've heard. My stealership had it done before I expected and I was off the lot no problems.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:45 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

installed with friends. !!!4 hours total!!!. Free dinner from Subway for them. Much better than $900 i got quoted
Old 07-08-2011, 01:29 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by Scratch
WellesleyScion, I dare say you are a scholar and a gentleman, and by the way that shirt just looks smashing on you, have you been working out? So you were mentioning a way to install the TRD Springs, why I say, is that also a new haircut, by jove, that is just top notch there sir!!

So yes, if there is perhaps a way to install these springs, would you, could you (in a box) explain it for us?

Sorry Scratch I totally missed this post. Thank you BTW, I did get a new hair cut and yes I do look smashing in this shirt.

Long story short, to install any set of lowering springs with minimum hassle and with out needing compressors, is to use the cars weight to act as the compressors...

***I am not responsible for any damage or injury cause by this write up, Always mod at your own risk***

-Remove the wiper blades, plastic wiper cowl, wiper motor, and the metal tray below it.
Do one corner of the car at a time
-Remove the center nut on the top of the suspension(do not loosen or remove the other 3 bolts at all)
-Jack the car up and remove your wheel
-unscrew and remove any thing that is attched to the strut assembly
-undo the bottom 2 bolts holding the suspension onto the hub
-remove the suspension and replace your stock springs with the aftermarket ones.
-reinstall everything, taking caution to align the top of the shock into the hole of the shock tower when you lower the car back onto the wheel(having a buddy to help guide things is a tremendous help)
-double and triple check that everything is tightened before moving onto the other side.

For the rears, its much more simple
-Jack up the rear and put stands under it
-Unbolt the sway bar from the control arms
-have your buddy hang from a wheel while you grab the factory spring and pull it out.
-have your monkey friend swing from the tree... err... pull on the wheel again so you can install the aftermarket springs by sliding them in place
- rebolt the sway bar
-put the car back on the ground.
-Do the happy dance
-high five your neighbors
-party like a rock star
-take pictures
-post those pictures on the forum
Old 07-21-2011, 05:00 AM
5 Year Member

Went to the Dealerships last friday salesman said he was gonna help me get the springs for the 400 installed like it says on the website. Service Department says they want $1,100 just for the install. Lol what a joke, gonna call a local place tomorrow to see what install would cost me then just get them on trd sparks.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:52 AM
SL Member

i will be going to my dealer this week or so to see how much they want. if they want a lot then sir you just lost a customer.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:14 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CrispyFShacker
Went to the Dealerships last friday salesman said he was gonna help me get the springs for the 400 installed like it says on the website. Service Department says they want $1,100 just for the install. Lol what a joke, gonna call a local place tomorrow to see what install would cost me then just get them on trd sparks.
You're going to want more low than the TRD set.