Notices
Scion tC 2G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Rear Creak Noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 11:18 PM

Default Rear Creak Noise

Hey folks,

I tried searching, but have not found much conclusive.

I'm getting a rear creak from the rear brake areas at low speed. I only hear it when at a stop light or in a parking lot.

I've searched, and found a thread about relubing behind the caliper seal, but sounded more for the fronts. Another to suggest that I put grease on the back side of the pads.

Now I know my brakes need replacement soon, but was wondering if it could be anything else.

Again, only at very slow speed, in a parking lot or at a stop light. Coming from the rear only. I don't notice it over any bumps, just a slow roll. And it's a creak, not a squeal.

Thanks all!
Old 06-20-2015, 04:22 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

If it sounds like a more high pitched sound coming from the rear brakes, I'd suggest lubricating your rear brakes up first. (Lubing the pad guides, the backing of the pads, both in and out board, and at the shop I work for, we always sand down the rust ridging on the rotors and the face of the pads with a fine grit sandpaper, for settling the pads into place.)
Sounds to me like that would be the issue as its only happening at stops or in parking lots, when I'd assume your riding the brakes a lot more than in normal traffic.
Also, not to promote products, but I always use raybestos brake lube. It has teflon in the lubricant and helps to lubricate the pads and guides even when the majority has washed/worn away. I love the stuff and recently used it to do a front and rear brake service on my car.
Old 06-21-2015, 05:14 PM

Ok so I pin pointed the sound. It's coming from the passenger rear caliper. It seems like I need to lube the piston and boot seal, as the DIY states.

Anyone use the Kluber Fluid? Does it really work? Can I just use a silicon spray, or is the Kluber really that much better?

Thanks!