Notices
Scion tC 2G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

TB Performance: Still have quality Issues?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 06:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default TB Performance: Still have quality Issues?

So still having quality issues out of TB Performance? I ask this, because before I consider buying a Upper Control Arm, I want to know what those who have them think. I've heard a few people having to re-tighten periodically, which redflagged it to me.

As you'll see in the link posted below from the xB2 world (as I had an xB2 prior to my 2014 tC), fitment sucked on something simple as a brace, and the guy bent the poorly constructed and cheap material over his knee. Last thing I want, is a Control Arm letting loose.

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sci...-215357/page4/

Last edited by MR_LUV; 04-10-2019 at 02:26 PM. Reason: Awarded 10 Year Badge
Old 09-25-2014, 06:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Also want to add, they aren't the only ones who sell adjustable upper arms. Quick Bing Search (yes, I said BING!) lead me to these from Megan:

Megan Racing
Old 09-27-2014, 03:17 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mine do come loose on occasion, but I autocross my tC twice a week, normal driving should be fine.

Quality wise, the arms are made with quality material and the welds are excellent. However, the way the stock arms attach it the hub seems to be a better system than what TBPerformace has offered on their product, in my opinion. The stock arms uses a spherical bearing instead of TB's straight bushing.

Also I wish they would have provided instructions on how they intended the arm to be installed, I have tried a few combinations of washers and spacers and all seem to work in theory.

All this being said, I removed mine Thursday because there is a two day event this weekend and I cannot afford to have the lock nut to come loose in the middle of racing.

It may also be worth mentioning that I have tried to contact them a week ago regarding them coming loose and intended installation procedures. No one has gotten back to me. Have not seen them on here lately either.
Old 09-27-2014, 06:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^This is good feedback.

I am not an Avid auto-x'r. I do enjoy the once in a while run around the cones, but am much bigger on tracks, or even just spirited back road cruising. I can't really complain about the roads around where I live, as they are pretty well maintained for the most part. Much better than Cincinnati where I used to live. But that being said, I still visit Cincinnati a bit, and do enjoy long haul road trips, so I want to stay away from crummy products.

Any product that requires checking the tightness after a spirited drive, is out in my books. And not to mention, the customer service and previous quality issues I've seen from their "shop", really make me worry about future investment of parts.

I know Megan isn't the greatest brand in the world either, but I trust them a little more than TBP. Thanks for the words, although you may of cost them a sale, you could of saved a tc or two from a wreck, or crummy parts.
Old 09-27-2014, 08:59 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Any issues heard of with the Megan RUCA's for the tC2?

___

Last edited by MR_LUV; 04-10-2019 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Awarded 5 Year Badge
Old 09-28-2014, 01:18 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

All I know of the Megan RUCAR's are what TB Performance poseted about them.. The welds look crappy and they don't look as nice, but they look like they retain a spherical bearing. As far as any other aspects of their product, I have not seen them in person, so I can not comment.
Old 09-28-2014, 09:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Red2014tC
All I know of the Megan RUCAR's are what TB Performance poseted about them.. The welds look crappy and they don't look as nice, but they look like they retain a spherical bearing. As far as any other aspects of their product, I have not seen them in person, so I can not comment.
This coming from people who've have pretty bad welds on products sent to customers on this forum. lol.

But I'd love to know if anyone here has the Megans and is willing to review them.
Old 10-02-2014, 02:30 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I emailed TBPerformance about the control arms, and they got back to me within a day or two. They were surprised to hear they are coming loose and offered to send me some new hardware (or send me money to go buy some) and are considering a revision to the product.

I've been conversing back and forth with them trying to figure out a solution.

Again, I would like to point out that I pound the living snot out of my tires and suspension on the "track" and I am sure in normal-aggressive driving these would be more than fine.
Old 10-02-2014, 03:03 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

alright guys.. i would like to say that i personally know the owner of TBP.. hes a cool dude. and ive talked to him about future for the brand.. and it has become a hobby sorta. he has some of the Final RUCAs coming out soon and that might be it.. he is a very knowlegeable dude and can help anyone with any issues they are having with there products but he is a one man show behind it all. i can say that i have all the products as far as bracing and they are great products...

Last edited by G5_TC; 10-07-2014 at 01:07 PM.
Old 10-03-2014, 01:44 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Appreciate the comment, bro. But howcome he's not posting or replying on some of the members' e-mail/s?

TB Performance used to be prompt and active on these type of things. specially on FB. TB Performance-Products at FB. It seems to have been deleted though. I wonder what happened to them/him.

Don't get me wrong, I've had a great transaction with the guy. No complaints at all. Fast and efficient. Hope he doesn't end up like the other shady company here.

Originally Posted by G5_TC
alright guys.. i would like to say that i personally know the owner of TBP.. hes a cool dude. and ive talked to him about future for the brand.. and it has become a hobby sorta. he has some of the Final RUCAs coming out soon and that might be it.. he is a very knowlegeable dude and can help anyone with any issues they are having with there products but he is a one man show behind it all. i can say that i have all the products as far as bracing and they are great products..
Old 10-05-2014, 08:12 PM
SL Member

Hey all I understand some of you have been concerned with whats been going on with us. I want to give you all the most honest for the bottom of my heart no PR Bull____ answer possible. We have been undergoing a restructuring of the business and as such we havent been hooked up to facebook or here. I would like to address a few issues though and set you guys at ease.

First up...the adjuster nuts on the rucas coming loose. we have had one customer experience this and we sent them a fix. What we suggest is a split lock washer between the neck of the control arm blade and the lock nut. We also suggest an extra 5/8 18tpi jam nut for those that are concerned or if there are others that had them come loose and just haven't spoken up From here on we will be selling them that way with the lock washer and spare jam nut just in case even though it was just this one customer.

Another worry is the order of spacers. This one seems to be very concerning for some of you and I would like to clear it up. The spacer order should look like this on the inside(chassis side) of the vehicle...2 washers, tapered spacer, rod end with bushings, tapered spacer, washer. If you dont have it in that order you will most likely be ok but we designed it the way I just explained.

Now as for the company, the restructuring, and future for TB. We are still producing the best products possible and focusing on getting them out in a much quicker manner than before. The big change was for me the owner. I have a second business that over summer required a ton of my time. It was also during this time that I began suffering from a severe anxiety disorder. The company is run by me and 2 close friends who come and help when they are free so I have been the only one handling PR stuff for the past 2 years. This disorder has affected how I feel towards social media and forums. It has become hard for me to do the PR stuff and so over summer we scaled back and honestly talked of closing TB down permanently. I have since decided that TB is what makes me who I am and that serving the Scion community in general is one of my life's greatest passions. I actively respond to every single email that comes into my inbox at tbperformanceproducts@gmail.com. I am just unsure of where we will go with social media at this time. I really ask for your guys support during this transitional time but I want to make you all aware of whats going on behind closed doors because you guys are my family too. I want you to know that quality has not slipped in the least. in fact id say my welds, paint, and overall accuracy has increased because I want to stay here doing what I love. I really hope you guys understand the changes and continue to support us. If you have any concerns at all or just want to chat I am always checking my email and will make sure to respond to you.

Danny Check