Notices
Scion tC 2G Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

TRD springs horrible noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 03:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default TRD springs horrible noise

I bought my 2012 tc back in february, I have about 12000 miles on it so far. I had the dealer install the TRD lowering springs for me before I picked the car up. There was a small squeak(front AND rear), but I assumed it would be a little bit till the springs settled. Now all this time later, the little squeak has turned into the most annoying metal to metal clanking every time I go over a bump, little or big.
I took it to the dealer, after a couple of hours they said they cant figure out what it is and I would need to bring it back and leave it AT LEAST for the whole day if not 2 days. Before I take it down I want to give them some ideas.

I had the car on a lift the other day and was eyeballing things, I see and feel a rubber bushing both on top and at bottom of the rear springs, but I am not sure if the spring should be compressed and touching so much. Name:  IMAG1083.jpg
Views: 646
Size:  46.5 KB

Obviously, I cant see the front springs, but both front and rear are making this horrible loud noise at any speed going over any size bump or dip

Does anyone have any clue?
Old 08-07-2012, 07:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

That's how mine look like, Not sure why yours is compressed like that. I got my TRD springs at TRD sparks but before that, I went to the dealer to get TRD springs and they gave me one spring that is not for tc2 (should be PTR11-21100) Instead when i googled the springs it was for tc1.

So far i only have about 2k on my TRD and havent heard any wierd clunks or noise, me and my friend installed it.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you dig a bit more in the forum, you will see many people have had the same issue with the springs when DEALER installed. The TRD springs are super picky about the way they are installed.
Old 08-15-2012, 04:54 AM
5 Year Member

i hace the exact same problem but only happens in the rear. i took it to the dealer and they didnt do ish for me. its pretty clear they just didnt want to do the work. imma try another dealer and see if they will help. fukin snakes. they promise you candy and rainbows but when they seal the deal they ignore you like yesterdays newspaper.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:26 AM
5 Year Member

im having the same problem but im on tein stechs and when i turn sometimes makes an annoying squeaky noise and i cant get rid of it
Old 10-08-2012, 09:09 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by KiLLaRaYY
im having the same problem but im on tein stechs and when i turn sometimes makes an annoying squeaky noise and i cant get rid of it
From the front or rear?
Old 10-10-2012, 05:18 PM
5 Year Member

from the front its soo annoying
Old 10-11-2012, 03:28 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Do TRD's need that rubber lining around the springs like I have seen on some others like this?

Name:  IMG_8944-lg.jpg
Views: 565
Size:  61.2 KB
Old 10-12-2012, 04:25 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not really needed, but they do rub together. Mine don't make weird noises but the shocks and struts
Will bottom out easier than stock springs so I think a lot of us are just experiencing different noises as a result of changing the resting compression and with a smaller bump stop it allows the front shocks to "bottom out" even farther down the shock. I'm no expert (as my description shows), but as far as I'm concerned the 1" difference in our ride height created a 1" difference in every aspect of our suspension. Which is why I think we hear noises we consider to be problems. I hope that some engineers or mechanics with much more knowledge on the subject will chime in. Again thats just my thinking without any evidence to back it up. So there is no reason to come out swinging
Old 10-15-2012, 08:47 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Could just be there cloked in the wrong direction, it happens, I had trds on a corolla and had one clocked wrong and actually broke my sway bar and punctured the fender lol Very stupid and very costly mistake, was old that id hear a clunk when they finally settled....such bs lol check to make sure there clocked right but like another post said those do look really compressed, abnormally compressed
Old 10-16-2012, 05:04 AM
5 Year Member

YUP! Same freaking problem as me! I just posted a couple days ago asking if anyone else on the forum has the problem. I took it to the dealer they said they took it for a drive and never heard anything. On my way out of the dealership I went over a speed bump after coming to a dead stop...as slow as possible and *Clunk*. I was so mad and annoyed. I could have gone right back and asked them. But its pretty obvious they are trying to be sneaky!

Im going to another dealership tomorrow and go on a drive with them with me in the car!

Make sure you do the same thing! Take full advantage of the warranty.