Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion tC 2G Suspension & Handling (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-tc-2g-suspension-handling-1829/)
-   -   TRD Sway Bar issue? Discontinued? (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-tc-2g-suspension-handling-1829/trd-sway-bar-issue-discontinued-221649/)

VuDism 03-12-2013 03:57 PM

TRD Sway Bar issue? Discontinued?

Hello all.

I just purchased TRD springs and a TRD sway bar set for my car. It took me forever to find the TRD sway bars in-stock. I first tried to order from my friend who owns a shop, and the dealer told him the sway bars were discontinued.

Realizing that TRD sways were discontinued I tried buying Eibach Sway bars from 2 different websites, but the Eibachs are on backorder with no ETA.

I then went to ebay and tried buying the TRD Sways again from a dealer on ebay, but once I called them they said they are cancelling my order because the sways bars were discontinued. Finally, TRDSPARKS had ONE set in their warehouse, which I ordered today and will ship today. Apparently, the sways bars are under review because of the bushing grease???

Is this a big problem? Those with the TRD sways already installed please chime in. I'm getting the Springs and Sways installed this Saturday 03/16/2013.

Thanks,
Vu

EOIO3 03-12-2013 06:56 PM

Nobody RTFM any more! Nobody greases the bushings with the supplied silicone grease. I've installed mine over a year ago and I have no broblems or noise with mine. They work great! That is the way the car should have come from the factory...with the TRD springs and sway bars.

VuDism 03-12-2013 07:38 PM

i figured people just not putting enough grease... when my friend and i installed whiteline sway bars on my 2008 STI we put an S-load of grease.

fatty_gen2 03-12-2013 09:38 PM

Eoio3, vudism, any kind/brand of grease you recommend? Thanks!

Sent from my thingy

EOIO3 03-13-2013 12:25 AM

The grease I used came with the TRD sway bar kit...it looks exactly like the die-electric grease you can get at any automotive store for the spark plug wires. Use one packet per bushing or buy a big gar of it.

FreedomPenguin 03-13-2013 01:56 AM

Wait, they are no longer made?. why?
it shows htem as purchaseable on build your ride, scion.com so i dunno. weird

VuDism 03-13-2013 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by FreedomPenguin (Post 4095455)
Wait, they are no longer made?. why?
it shows htem as purchaseable on build your ride, scion.com so i dunno. weird

The websites have them as available... But once you order , the store/website contacts the distributer(Toyota) to ship out the sways... That's when they find out it's out of stock. Luckily for me, TRD sparks had one last set in-stock in their inventory. You go to TRD sparks now it will say "out of stock". The rep at trdsparks said it is because of bushings.

You might get lucky and find a Toyota dealer that sells parts online that has a set in stock. Seems like, for now, both eibach and TRD are out of stock with no ETA so those looking for sways are S-out-of-luck

VuDism 03-13-2013 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by fatty_gen2 (Post 4095405)
Eoio3, vudism, any kind/brand of grease you recommend? Thanks!

Sent from my thingy

When I installed the whiteline sway bars on my STI few years back my mechanic friend just used the grease that was included in the box. Key is... He used a lot of it. I even asked "why so much?". He said "you need it" . needless to say my STI sway bars never made noises

FreedomPenguin 03-13-2013 02:29 AM

I'm glad I have mine then, either way grease them bad boys up to prevent Noise as mentioned.

fatty_gen2 03-13-2013 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by EOIO3 (Post 4095439)
The grease I used came with the TRD sway bar kit...it looks exactly like the die-electric grease you can get at any automotive store for the spark plug wires. Use one packet per bushing or buy a big gar of it.

Originally Posted by VuDism (Post 4095459)
When I installed the whiteline sway bars on my STI few years back my mechanic friend just used the grease that was included in the box. Key is... He used a lot of it. I even asked "why so much?". He said "you need it" . needless to say my STI sway bars never made noises

Awesome! i'm planning on adding MORE grease after using the ones including in the package. What kind of grease i'm looking for at autoparts shop? Does generic grease for automotive will do?

VuDism 03-13-2013 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by fatty_gen2 (Post 4095596)
Awesome! i'm planning on adding MORE grease after using the ones including in the package. What kind of grease i'm looking for at autoparts shop? Does generic grease for automotive will do?

I would think using a lot of the supplied grease that came with the bar would be enouhg

fatty_gen2 03-14-2013 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by EOIO3 (Post 4095439)

Originally Posted by VuDism (Post 4095459)

Perfect! Thank you guys. I'll grease bomb my bars upon installing! :biggrin:

VuDism 03-14-2013 04:23 AM

Looking forward to getting mine installed this weekend!

VuDism 03-17-2013 12:19 AM

Finally got the TRD springs and sway bars. No noise problems so far. . . and the car feels great. Not harsh or stiff... But even with stock all weather tires the car is on rails!!! Awesome handling. Even compared to my old STI and 350Z. IMO... TRD springs/ sways combo is a must have

fun173 03-17-2013 03:33 AM

My sway bars STILL are not fixed. They fixed a different noise from them which was from the control arm apparently but they still squeak terribly over bumps sometimes. I want to try to grease them myself but I am not sure I could do it.

I wonder if I could just inject grease into the bushings with a syringe?

VuDism 03-17-2013 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by fun173 (Post 4096312)
My sway bars STILL are not fixed. They fixed a different noise from them which was from the control arm apparently but they still squeak terribly over bumps sometimes. I want to try to grease them myself but I am not sure I could do it.

I don't know about that. That is pretty tight . def best taken apart and greased. I had my installer use both packets of the supplied grease AND mobile 1 synthetic all purpose grease for good measure

kinggeoff 07-31-2013 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by fun173 (Post 4096312)

Been back and forth with my dealer for months over the same squeak :(
Makes the car feel a whole hell of a lot cheaper, especially with the crap roads in my city.

fun173 09-19-2013 09:40 PM

Anyone with swaybars please read.

Hey all,

My car is being kept overnight to investigate a squeaking coming from the TRD swaybars when I go over bumps. They apparently tried re-torquing them and greasing them and they still make noise. They are very confused by this. Does anyone else with swaybars have this issue? I read somewhere the TRD swaybars were discontinued. Could this be why? I'm not sure I want to keep them in if they can't fix it as the noise is awful and it gets even worse in the winter when it's cold. Anyone running eibach's have this problem? I don't fully believe they greased them....

Edit: huh, must have forgot about this thread. I guess I'll just ask the techs to grease the ____ out of them then.

disaster06 09-20-2013 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by fun173 (Post 4127185)
Hey all,

My car is being kept overnight to investigate a squeaking coming from the TRD swaybars when I go over bumps. They apparently tried re-torquing them and greasing them and they still make noise. They are very confused by this. Does anyone else with swaybars have this issue? I read somewhere the TRD swaybars were discontinued. Could this be why? I'm not sure I want to keep them in if they can't fix it as the noise is awful and it gets even worse in the winter when it's cold. Anyone running eibach's have this problem? I don't fully believe they greased them....

Edit: huh, must have forgot about this thread. I guess I'll just ask the techs to grease the ____ out of them then.

I have Eibachs and have the same problem. I think Eibach may make them for TRD. I think they did the TRD Lowering springs.

If I remember right, I saw something about putting plumbers tape around the bars to stop the squeak, I will have to find that again.

My squeak is only on the right side.

disaster06 09-20-2013 10:23 PM

Here you go, credit to Thermos2003

Front has a lot involved to get the bar in. I believe you have to disconnect a lower control arm. Rear is cake. The only major problem I had was with the front bushings squeaking. I tried greasing and regreasing. I added grease fittings. Eventually I took a tip from the Subaru crowd and wrapped the bar with yellow gas fitting teflon tape. Then I greased the bushing. If I had to do it again. I would wrap the bar with tape where the bushing contacts it before attempting to install the bar. Trying to do so after it is on the car is tough.

If you have some free time it is a job that is totally worth doing yourself and the bars make quite a bit of difference.