Notices

Steelies and snow tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 01:45 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Steelies and snow tires

With winter around the corner I'm looking for steelies and snow tires for my 2012 tC. I can get 17" steelies but my first question is if ill be able to fit a 16" steelie on my tC, if I can tires for me would be a lot cheaper
Old 10-12-2012, 03:59 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BeAlLsTaR13
With winter around the corner I'm looking for steelies and snow tires for my 2012 tC. I can get 17" steelies but my first question is if ill be able to fit a 16" steelie on my tC, if I can tires for me would be a lot cheaper
yes a 16 fits given the right offset. As long as you stay at or below offset (+37 I believe.)
Old 10-12-2012, 09:14 PM
SL Member

I got a set of 16" x 6.5" steelies from Tire Rack with a set of winter tires (215/60 R16) mounted and balanced. I don't know the offset of the wheels, but the hub ring is an exact fit, so no hub centric rings to worry about.
Lastly, I noticed that the front brake calipers just barely clear so I don't know if 16" wheels would clear the TRD big brake kit. Anyone out there know the answer to this? I think the spare tire is 16" so this would be an easy test for someone with the TRD kit.
Old 10-13-2012, 06:57 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by blktc2
I got a set of 16" x 6.5" steelies from Tire Rack with a set of winter tires (215/60 R16) mounted and balanced. I don't know the offset of the wheels, but the hub ring is an exact fit, so no hub centric rings to worry about.
Lastly, I noticed that the front brake calipers just barely clear so I don't know if 16" wheels would clear the TRD big brake kit. Anyone out there know the answer to this? I think the spare tire is 16" so this would be an easy test for someone with the TRD kit.
It would have to fit imagine the bad press Scion would get selling factory accessories that are not compatible with each other.
Old 10-13-2012, 11:38 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

^
BBK can NOT fit 16" wheels. Only 17" or larger. 16's are a tight squeeze with the stock caliper but i love them in the snow. the tc handles great in the snow once you put snows on
Old 10-14-2012, 12:30 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by talt2008
^
BBK can NOT fit 16" wheels. Only 17" or larger. 16's are a tight squeeze with the stock caliper but i love them in the snow. the tc handles great in the snow once you put snows on
So your telling me you get a flat in the front with the bbk the spare is useless or do they expect you to move a rear wheel foward and put the spare in the rear?
Old 10-14-2012, 03:18 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Remember that the bbk was designed after the car was produced. Just get a 17" doughnut spare, run flats, or rotate tires when changing a flat up front. It's not the end of the world, besides how often does someone get a flat... Just my two cents
Old 10-14-2012, 05:03 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by talt2008
Remember that the bbk was designed after the car was produced. Just get a 17" doughnut spare, run flats, or rotate tires when changing a flat up front. It's not the end of the world, besides how often does someone get a flat... Just my two cents
Got a flat as a result of a carpenter screw that I somehow picked up this happened three days of me owning it. Lucky I have a car compressor so I filled it up and got it fixed at Toyota for $64 Seems to me that Toyota is really dropping the ball all over the place. In a world that an old lady can sue McDonald's for her hot coffee being hot and win that Toyota would really focus on things like this. I can see some little old lady in her scion tC with bbk that she purchased because she wanted the additional braking power catching a flat on a desolate highway and ultimately being raped and mugged or worse just because the spare didn't fit. I hope you can live with yourself Toyota.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Binary
Got a flat as a result of a carpenter screw that I somehow picked up this happened three days of me owning it. Lucky I have a car compressor so I filled it up and got it fixed at Toyota for $64 Seems to me that Toyota is really dropping the ball all over the place. In a world that an old lady can sue McDonald's for her hot coffee being hot and win that Toyota would really focus on things like this. I can see some little old lady in her scion tC with bbk that she purchased because she wanted the additional braking power catching a flat on a desolate highway and ultimately being raped and mugged or worse just because the spare didn't fit. I hope you can live with yourself Toyota.
Every time I go driving, I see at least one little old lady stuck on the side of the road. Her pimped out tC there, with a flat tire, and the BBK. It's a shame and an epidemic!
Old 10-14-2012, 02:51 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by urblgd
Every time I go driving, I see at least one little old lady stuck on the side of the road. Her pimped out tC there, with a flat tire, and the BBK. It's a shame and an epidemic!
You didn't stop to help? You monster! On a serious note we live in a sue happy society although this isn't a frequent issue, given Toyota track record I'm surprised that they're still opening themselves up for a lawsuit. Do they even disclose that the spare will not fit the front of a tC with a bbk?
Old 10-14-2012, 08:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

"The TRD high performance brake kit delivers confidence-inspiring performance, enhanced pedal feel and improved braking torque distribution between the front and rear axles. A patented, directional AeroRotor internal cooling vane design induces greater airflow to cool the rotors, providing consistent performance in repeated or heavy duty braking.
Specs:
Opposed 4 piston fixed calipers
323mm x 32mm cross-drilled rotors
Braided stainless steel brake lines
Kevlar/Ceramic compound performance brake pads.
Minimum clearance requires an 18” wheel."

That's what it says about the BBK on the Scion.ca website, but it doesn't explicitly state that the spare tire is smaller than that, so if you can put and one together then you would know. That, however, doesn't seem to be the case in most situations involving suing.

To get back to the original topic, I currently have 16" steelies w/winter tires, over the stock breaks and they fit not much clearance but no issues.
Old 10-14-2012, 11:53 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

well i dont have the big brake kit, so 16" will fit fine then? reason i was concerened is because i dont wanna shell out hundreds and hundreds on winter wheels/tires, snows for 17s here are costly, but 16s can be nearly 30-40% cheaper compared to 17s
Old 10-15-2012, 03:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BeAlLsTaR13
well i dont have the big brake kit, so 16" will fit fine then? reason i was concerened is because i dont wanna shell out hundreds and hundreds on winter wheels/tires, snows for 17s here are costly, but 16s can be nearly 30-40% cheaper compared to 17s
Yes 16's will work for you
Old 10-18-2012, 12:45 AM
5 Year Member

So 15s definetly wont fit if 16s are tight, correct?
Old 10-18-2012, 12:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

16" wheels are the smallest you can fit, 15's won't fit over the stock brakes

As a side note those rims came off of an old RAV4 that were winter tires on that car as well. I know they look like crap. lol
Old 10-18-2012, 02:47 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

im guessing that even with the bbk the 16's would fit....as the spare tire is a 16? surely they must have thought about that.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:22 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

^
16" rim WILL NOT fit over TRD BBK... my 16" rims barely fit over the stock caliper. if i were to hit a bad enough pot hole to bend my rim i would probably have to replace my STOCK caliper because of fitment being so tight. TRD might be made by toyota, but its technically aftermarket
Old 10-18-2012, 09:26 PM

Just got my winter setup 2 days ago and the 16" Konig SE10's I got clear the stock brakes no problem.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:33 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have 225/45/18 blizzaks on my stock rims. and i have another set with my stock tires on em. my enkei raijins look amazing! for sale if anyones interested pm me ;)