Notices

Wheel stud sizes?

Old 03-13-2013, 11:46 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Wheel stud sizes?

Hi all,
Have a odd question regarding our wheel studs.
I have broken 2 wheel studs and befor another one breaks is wondering if anyone has up graded to a better stud like ARP, if so what was the part #?
Or does anyone have the diamenshions for our wheel studs to find a better replacement?
Old 03-13-2013, 05:14 PM
DaYUUM/Scion Evolution
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

the thread type is 12x1.5
Old 03-13-2013, 06:29 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Wheel studs

Thanks,

Looking more on the knurled end dia, it's length as well as overall length.
It seams that with the opened wheel nuts on with winter rims when I change back to summer rims and tires I snap one in the change.
At $9.37 +HST each at Scion last year, I wondering if ARP had one as a replacement to order and have on hand when tires are changed soon due to the nice weather.

Thanks
Tony
Old 07-10-2013, 03:51 AM
Banned
SL Member

How the he77 did they break? Are both sets of your wheels hub-centric? You don't need stronger studs, my guess is you need the right wheels. Oh and BTW, when I post my opinion of KidJustin's technical aptitude, I get banned for attacking a Moderator...so I won't do that any more.

edit by Wellesley Scion:

(Oh and BTW, when I post my opinion of KidJustin's technical aptitude, I get banned for attacking a Moderator...so I won't do that any more. )
^^^ This is unnecessary, and borderline attacking a moderator... again.

Last edited by WellesleyScion; 07-10-2013 at 06:10 PM.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:04 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I think I need to interject on this one.
Open ended lug nuts in rainy weather cause the factory studs to rust. It happened to me too then I switched to close ended nuts. Nothing to do with the wheels themselves.
Old 07-11-2013, 01:01 AM
Banned
SL Member

You guys are real sensitive (thin skinned) on this forum. If nobody is allowed to correct anybody (reveal the truth about what is being posted), how can you filter the BS from the valuable information. If garbage is posted and nothing bad can be posted about it, you are only hurting the community and just helping to propagate the BS. Banning the BS filter is not the solution...

As for the rusting with open ended lug nuts - I can see that the end of the stud could rust, but there is no load there. For the rust to be a contributing factor for studs breaking, it would have to rust at the root of the stud and a whole bunch! The root of the stud is protected by the wheel and any lug nut the same weather it is closed or open ended. All studs are zinc plated also...the plating would have to be compromised somehow. A wheel spacer could be a contributing factor. Did you have your wheel spacers on when your wheel studs rusted?
Old 07-11-2013, 02:47 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well after years of changing winter tires for summer living in some of the best parts of Canada I can tell you it's not wheel spacers( I do not use) or the studs rusting to the root of the thread!!!
In my line of work I have been breaking bolts of all sizes from 10-32 up to 12" -4 and rust built up on the threads will remove all the clearance whether its class 1,2,or 3 depending on rust build up. So with no clearance it a interference threads and its all torque that snaps the stud/bolts.
As far as the zinc plating Just nature of a nut and bolt as you assemble them and add torque you compromise the plating of any bolt. And like the old story goes you only get what you pay for!!!And that goes for bolts as well, We have a constant issue where our purchasing dept at work constantly buying the cheapest bolts to save a buck but when the brake they cost 100k or more of repair and down time! Grade 8 from a North American vs others at the same ratting are not equal and I have had this discussion countless times with my live in PEng and ones at work.......

I was looking for replacment studs from ARP for I have used there products countless times with 0/no issues ever !!!
Not looking to invent the wheel just use the best one out there !!

Last edited by noisy1; 07-11-2013 at 03:09 AM.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:07 AM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by noisy1
Hi all,
Have a odd question regarding our wheel studs.
I have broken 2 wheel studs and befor another one breaks...
Is what you've stated in your first post...is completely different from, "I sheared off wheel studs by trying to remove rusted on wheel nuts."

May I suggest anti-seize compound?

And yes! ARP makes the best bolts...they are the best. Sorry I can't help you with a P/N...
Old 07-12-2013, 01:57 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Is what you've stated in your first post...is completely different from, "I sheared off wheel studs by trying to remove rusted on wheel nuts."

I am sorry i asked a general question, was only looking for ARP wheel studs!!