Notices
Scion xA Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

2006 Scion xA fog light anytime mod!

Old 12-14-2012, 02:35 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default 2006 Scion xA fog light anytime mod!

Well after research, trial and error, more research, and discussing with some fellow friends that know a thing or two about wiring I have come up with a solution to wire the OEM fog lights to turn on when the car is on and have full control via an aftermarket switch (you may be able to wire the OEM switch to do it). ***I'm not responsible for any damage YOU do, this is a guide on how i did it. Proceed at YOUR OWN RISK! ***

What you will need:
Fuse tap (~$5)
Switch (~$4) [Don't worry about picking an LED color, it won't work]
Fuses (I used a 15A)
12/14 gauge wiring (I used 14)
Female quick disconnects (16/14 gauge, .187")

How I did it using the OEM wiring diagram:

Step one:
Wire up the fuse tap with your wiring long enough to go from the fuse location to the OEM relay location. Add a quick connect to the end. I used the cig lighter fuse to tap into. Use the original fuse in the spot closest to the fuse box and a 15A fuse on the outside fuse spot for the fogs.

Step two:
Pick a spot for your switch. I got a small switch so I cut the old panel so it would sit in as shown.

Step three:
Wire a ground wire to go from the switch to a ground of your choice. One end needs a quick connect and the other just stripped. The car has a ground point behind the left kick panel.

Step four:
Wire a wire to go from the switch to the relay location. Both ends need quick connects.

Step five:
Bend the two silver connects on the relay outwards (as pictured). Then attach the wire from the switch on the right prong (when prongs facing you) and the wire from the fuse tap on the left prong. (as shown)

Step six:
Plug the grounded wire into the ACC port in the switch (AKA output) and the wire coming from the relay into the voltage (AKA input) spot. Don't worry about the ground since the LED won't work (if applicable).

And that's all! The switch will allow you to turn the fogs on and off when the key is in the ignition and on ACC or ON!

Some troubles I ran into... The prong on the switch was bigger than my quick connects so I just used small pliers and opened the quick connects more. You can buy the bigger ones, but it's not necessary... the bigger ones won't fit the relay though.

***Make sure your wiring is clear of any moving parts under the dash as well.***

***WARNING! The stock wiring in the car might not be suited for a 30A draw, which is possible doing this mod; however, the draw is solely controlled by how many amps you draw with the cig lighter. My radar detector only draws 2A and my GPS only draws 1A so at most the cig lighter would draw 3A and the fogs would draw less than 15A (if I calculated correctly the fogs should only draw 8-10A correct me if I'm wrong). A 14AWG wire can take up to 32A, I'm not sure what the AWG of the wire that powers the cig fuse is so I must warn you of this. This is just a precaution though, the most that should be drawn at one time shouldn't be more than 20A... Hopefully someone can find something that says what AWG size the wiring is to be certain. Just be careful is you used the cig lighter for powering multiple accessories like LEDs and whatnot.***

I'll be making a test run tonight to make sure all goes well. Hopefully I explained everything clearly! If not feel free to ask questions. And if you have a better way, feel free to explain.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

So what this is saying you can now do is to have just your fog lights on and your head lights off while the car is running?

That would be amazing, I've never quite understood why they headlights need to be on when it makes the fog lights less effective in actual fog.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:10 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Dstreak
So what this is saying you can now do is to have just your fog lights on and your head lights off while the car is running?

That would be amazing, I've never quite understood why they headlights need to be on when it makes the fog lights less effective in actual fog.
Yep, that's what this does. Full control of the fog lights, while not having to worry about leaving them on.