Notices
Scion xA Owners Lounge
2004-2006.5 [NCP61]

Cobb what was your tipping point for the XB2?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 01:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Cobb what was your tipping point for the XB2?

NOTE: This is not an attack on cobb or his character.

Dear Cobb,
What exactly made you make the decision to choose getting the XB 2 as opposed to your XA? I mean you got like 40+ MPG with the XA and you would be lucky to get barely 25 with the new XB and not to mention that Brakes/tires/parts/insurance will most likely be more expensive. So what made you make this decision? Is it really that superior of a car? Or was it just that you wanted something new?
Old 10-21-2008, 03:17 AM
SL Member

Default Re: Cobb what was your tipping point for the XB2?

Originally Posted by TheUglyOne
NOTE: This is not an attack on cobb or his character.

Dear Cobb,
What exactly made you make the decision to choose getting the XB 2 as opposed to your XA? I mean you got like 40+ MPG with the XA and you would be lucky to get barely 25 with the new XB and not to mention that Brakes/tires/parts/insurance will most likely be more expensive. So what made you make this decision? Is it really that superior of a car? Or was it just that you wanted something new?
my husband has the rs5 xB and i have an xA and depending on the day...sometimes i like driving his car more than mine.

for one, it has a lot of leg room so when i have people in the car with me, i dont feel the kicking of the seats and the elbow bumping when i have to switch gears.

we have yet to do any work on the car, but as far as tires, we have 17" rims on mine and it cost me a fortune and we have 18" rims on his car and it still cost a fortune...and as for insurance, we don't share the same company and we both pay for full coverage and it seems very close in costs.

i have to say the pick up in the xB vs. xA is a huge huge difference.

so depending on the day...i <3 them both the same!
Old 10-21-2008, 04:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Heres the poop. Earlier this year we had a few hurricanes and man, if you have or know someone who has arthridas, its a very painful condition that weather effects. Sometimes days and weeks in advance.

Furthermore it makes sitting in a confined or tight area more painful if you add little precision movements like clutching a car. I had to miss a few days of work and get some pain killers to deal with the pain from my condition. Keep in mind I was in a wheelchair for 9 years and after 3 of hard work, sweat got out of it. I still feel like using a chair at times, but refuse to and stumble along.

I had rented cars in the past when mines was ever in for service and for what ever reason they were bigger on the outside and automatics. Infact enterprise always gave me an suv regardless of what I reserved. I felt I had more energy and did more those days than when I did the same thing with my xa. None of them got the xa fuel economy.

Anyway, I thought it was not be that difficult to get an auto tranny in my car. Common thing many people do. Turns out it was complicated and expensive. I was going to trade my xa for an automatic xa at car max.

Before hand as I have had some used cars that sucked, went to the dealer to see what the xd, prius, yaris felt like. My employeer gives a break on hybrid cars or trucks.

Long story short, I was told to try the xb, I needed the xb. I sat in it and was shocked at the xb, the last car I tried. I thought the guy wanted a scion sale, not the best car for me.

I had no idea scion made a car with that much interior space. I have sat in many cars, trucks and suvs, jeep or cherokee has the least interior space for an suv. Heck, I thought the matrix s was tight too. The carolla was not that bad, the xd too was tight, tc uncomfortable, yaris, too. The xb had the leg room like my old 240d.

My dad who is 5,7 called my car an ice box, I told him if he can sit in the drivers seat and touch the petals, he can continue using that. Needless to say, he could not reach the petals with the seat in the lowest rear most position.

The xb gen 2 is an awesome car, I think of it as a lexus and traded mines that same day. Sure it has the same oem roll the xa did, needs to be lowered and stiffen up, but its roomie like an suv without the price or poor fuel economy. It has the camry power train, pioneer sound system and rke, rear tinted windows and dash storage space for driver and passenger. 8 cup holders too. I can make the from seat comfortable for me, then sit in the rear seat making no adjustments. Who heard of a car with seats roomie for 2 6 ft 7 310 lb guys in all 4 seats???

First fill up, 27mpg. Second 31 mpg, working on the third tank.

I will try to shoot a video.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjCtfsnLkMg
Old 10-28-2008, 05:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I drove to WVA and back last weekend. The xb is one great car, if you can call it a car. I drove almost 899 miles and 4 fill ups of 10 gallons each. I drove around 75mph the whole trip, even the mountain grades. I managed to meet or exceed the surrounding traffic in cornering and grades, up or down. I lagged on acceleration to take it easy on the engine and tranny. Every now and then on a long grade it would briefly up shift, but it stayed in od. On the long downgrade back down from the mountain it stayed at 75 in 3rd gear with no use of brakes.

The fogs worked well in the fog and the 3000k hid highs worked well for blasting through the thickest of fog and seeing down the dark, wet roads.

Needless to say the brakes work bettter now, the idle is quieter, it has a more agressive sound when you get in it and once you get up to 44mph and the tranny locks, the accelration keeps getting it with no upshifting. The ride even seems softer too and at idle it rolls up to 12mph just like it does with reverse.

After driving the xa, its hard to believe the same company makes the same cars. I pass many compact cars who had trouble getting up the hills along with the semi trucks. I kept pace with the suvs, mini vans. Oddly, I saw no other scions except for the local show at a toy dealer.
Old 10-28-2008, 04:29 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

its softer due to the longer wheel base
Old 10-28-2008, 05:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

I own both a xA and an xB2. Comparing them is not fair IMO. I will be honest and say I have a lot more work and mods in my xA then the xB2.

Power
Hands down the xB2 has more power. I think we call all agree that a 2.4 vs. a 1.5 the 2.4 should win.

Handling
No Question here. The xA is far more nimble then the xB2. Smaller and lighter nuff said imo. Again I may be wrong but I dont think the xB2 will ever out handle my xA requardless of mods.

Interior space
xB2… I can almost park my xA in side of it. Ok not really but the xA is a much smaller car inside and out.

Ride quality.
I don’t feel as I should comment here due to the fact my xA has many suspension mods and my xB2 is on stock springs still. The xB2 is a comfy ride even with the 18’s I had on it. The 19’s I have are a bit rough but I am lacking a bit of tire.

MPG
30 in the xA and 23 in the xB2. Size and power plant play a big role here. I drive with a led foot I will admit but the MPG in the xB2 makes me sad.

Just by looking at the cars you can assume most of this. I love my xA and don’t think I will every part with it. I want to trade in my xB2 and once I get out from behind the 8 ball or not upside down in it I will be getting a SUV. If I am going to get 23 mpg I want more space!

I enjoy my xA 10 full over the xB2. Both have goods and bads though.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't think he was comparing the 2 as a head to head.. he needed to move up and was talking about the vast differences between 2 cars from the same company.

Of course, cobb can speak for himself, that is just my take on the point of the thread.
Old 10-29-2008, 03:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I really had not intended to buy another scion, as I assumed from the xa/xb world, both were the same inside and same performance, just one was square and one aero. I was completely wrong.

Yeah, both the xa and xb gen 2 are completely different. One reason I was looking at other cars, however I had no idea scion made a car with that much room and performance out the box.

At least mines is getting 31mpg.